1/72 Austin K6 Crash Tender into GS body with trailer

After I finished a major project, I was casting around for something easy to get into. Poking through my stash, I came across my Airfix Emergency set with a K2 ambulance and Austin K6 Crash Tender (firetruck). At the same time, my eye fell on a box of left over 'stuff' from my Airfield Resupply and Bedford Truck sets. I had not used the long bed in the Bedford truck set, so I checked to see if it could be mated to the Austin K6 frame and, what you know, it could. It took a little doing, like lengthening the wheel wells and some other things, but it fit nicely. I also found a short bed in the Resupply set left over, so that was bodged into an improvised trailer. It turned out a lot better than i thought it would.

IMG_20200805_155043

IMG_20200805_155104

IMG_20200805_155151

IMG_20200805_155214

IMG_20200805_155118

IMG_20200805_155219

• Like 20

Here are the steps I used in finishing the model

1. Paint.

2. Gloss coat. This is necessary to keep the wash from staining the paint rather than just settling in recesses and provides a smoother surface for any decals.

3. Black water color wash over whole model. NOT acrylic. Acrylic will stay where it dries and you will not be able to remove it. Model will look terrible at this stage. 

4. After dry, remove wash from unwanted places with damp paint brush rinsing brush often. This will leave the wash in recesses and around detail and will give a more uneven color finish to the paint. 

5. Dry brush with original color.

6. Decals.

7. Flat coat.

8. Pastels.

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Airfix produced some small hard backed books in early 70s ,and one was on vehicle conversions and my mind went straight back to my attempts back then ,non were as good as your work but thanks for helping me remember those times .Look forward to your next piece of work.