1/72 AZUR FRROM B-10 Export

Hello

Last week I received directly from the factory a couple of 1/72 AZUR FRROM B-10 Export.

Actually these are the first two boxes from this manufacturer with

FR0043 B-10 Export WC/WAN > China Air Force and Argentine Navy

FR0042 B-10 Export WH-2/WAA > Dutch East Indies and Argentine Army

I am starting cutting the first sprues next weekend but here are the instruction sheets and the transfers.

Patrick

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 13

• 1 month later...

Hello

After a couple of months building something else I am back on these export B-10.

Here is what I made last weekend with everything inside the fuselage and the masking tape on the clear parts which is very time consuming.

By the way, I am confused with the color inside the fuselage as in the instruction sheet it is written that it may have been green instead of aluminium for the export B-10s. Anybody has the answer?

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

On 28/09/2020 at 22:09, VG 33 said:

Hello

By the way, I am confused with the color inside the fuselage as in the instruction sheet it is written that it may have been green instead of aluminium for the export B-10s. Anybody has the answer?

Patrick

The export planes were built after the US aircraft industry had changed over to using chromated primers. Hence the opinion they may have been green. But I am not aware of any photos of the export machines available to prove this. Unlike the many photos showing the silver US Army cockpits....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

The export planes were built after the US aircraft industry had changed over to using chromated primers. Hence the opinion they may have been green. But I am not aware of any photos of the export machines available to prove this. Unlike the many photos showing the silver US Army cockpits....

Thank you for this beginning of explanation Roger.

So far I have found in Air Enthusiast No 22 a picture of the rear cockpit of a WH-3 just before delivery. Those were the last produced for the NEIAF and the side panels are clear and bright, so I suppose covered in aluminium lacquer. I am going for this.

For the Argentinian Navy, a friend of mine told me that inside it was a light color. But on the other hand it seems that the Argentinian Air Force aircraft were green as is the current "B-10" showed at the USAF Museum. This one is actually an Argentinian Air Force Martin 139 in USAC colors. But on black and white pictures a green could be "light". Still looking for... but soon I have to take a stand.

Patrick

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Some progresses this week.  I completed inside with some bits for the ammunition boxes of the NEIAF. I added a couple of boxes for the radio Xmtr and Rec apparatuses. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

By the way after an advice from South America I chose aluminium as the overall inside colour of the Argentinian Navy Martin 139.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers.

Patrick

• Like 7

1 hour ago, VG 33 said:

after an advice from South America I chose aluminium as the overall inside colour of the Argentinian Navy Martin 139.

I think that would be the correct interior color. The B-10 that is on display at the Air Force Museum was donated by Argentina, but was restored here where I live at Kelly  by reservists, so I wouldn't use its interior colors as representative of an original combat aircraft. My real interest is in the Martin Model 166 versions built for the NEI with uprated R-1820 engines, a deeper forward fuelage, different wing taper, and a continuous canopy....hoping Azur will do that version, but it's doubtful. Liking what I see in your WIP, though as the interior of the Azur kit looks to be much more comprehensive than the old Williams Bros. kit. Thanks for sharing your work and review of the kit!

Mike

@Corsairfoxfouruncle Thanks for the heads-up, Dennis!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello

Once again after a long time building other kits I am back with some progress on this couple of kits.

Actually I spent time around the joints between both parts of the fuselage.

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice work, Patrick @VG 33. What is your panel line technique here? An oil wash prior to painting?

Martin

Actually I airbrushed black paint over the joints to scrutinize them. Especially close to the trailing edge as everything disappeared after sanding.

Patrick

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello

After a long hiatus I am back on building and here is where I am.

B-10 Export WAN Argentine Navy

spacer.png

B-10 Export WH-2 Dutch East Indies

spacer.png

As you can see the joints between wings and fuselage was not perfect and I had to fill and sand. Anyway now the bonds are strong with Tamiya and cyanoacrylate glues.

Next step will be the engines and the transparencies.

Cheers.

Patrick

• Like 5

Hello

Some progress now at a faster pace.

I added some spark plug wires to each cylinder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I painted these engines.

spacer.png

Next I cut the Tamiya tape along the transparencies for the main paint job.

spacer.png

I paint the rudder and the stabilizers in white for the Argentinian Martin.

spacer.png

Finally the NEI aircraft saw some white and orange paints in order to prepare the triangle insignia.

spacer.png

To be continued...

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 12

On 10/22/2020 at 11:11 PM, 72modeler said:

My real interest is in the Martin Model 166 versions built for the NEI with uprated R-1820 engines, a deeper forward fuelage, different wing taper, and a continuous canopy....hoping Azur will do that version, but it's doubtful. Liking what I see in your WIP, though as the interior of the Azur kit looks to be much more comprehensive than the old Williams Bros. kit. Thanks for sharing your work and review of the kit!

Mike

Mike, I am sorry to likely disappoint you, I am also interesting in that variant so I directly e-mail them. The answer was negative, namely so far they did not considered doing this variant... They old me that it is practically a new project with new fuselage, wings, engines and canopies... So we can only do a scratch conversion and I am thinking about it (having WB standard Martin B 10 on shelf). 

Patrick - I will follow your build with interest, looks very promising!

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:19 AM, JWM said:

The answer was negative,

I was afraid of that, JWM, as it would pretty much need to have new tooling for the wings and fuselage,  in addition to props, engines, and cowlings, and after I examined how the B-10 kit was sprued when I got mine earlier this week, it was pretty obvious that the molds weren't engineered for that version being a possibility. Separate sprue for the outer wings and fuselage would have worked, with the continuous greenhouse being on the clear sprue, ala Eduard kits, and the other detail parts being on their own sprue, but it's not a well-known variant, nor was it used by any other service, but doggone it, it's a handsome brute, and like you, I will probably use my Williams Brothers kit for a conversion; the old 1/72 Revell B-17F Memphis Belle looks like it has perfect R-1820 cowlings and props- just need to do the intakes, oil coolers and exhausts; I reckon I can piece the kit greenhouses together and/or use them to make a master to vacuform a new one.  Have to research photos and drawings to see how to modify the nose, but it looks like it is deeper at the bottom from the nose to where it meets the bomb bay. When/if I start, I will be sure to let you know! ( I ALWAYS get hot to do a model for which there is either no kit or no good references/drawings...is this a great hobby or what?) Looks like I will have to go Moa on it to make the conversion!

Mike

Azur/Frrom is to be commended, however, for their new-tool kit- it is so much better than the old, but still workable Williams Brothers release.

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Revell B-17F Memphis Belle looks like it has perfect R-1820 cowlings and props- just need to do the intakes, oil coolers and exhausts;

I think the Academy B17 has double set of engines and props.

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

When/if I start, I will be sure to let you know!

I will appreciate! The ony drawings I have for this variant is that from that page

https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=603:glenn-martin-b10-139-166-uk&catid=92&lang=en&showall=1&limitstart=&Itemid=554

and thet poor one

GLENN-MARTIN-139-WH3-B-10-AIRCRAFT-MAINT

Maybe it is enough for 1/72 conversion? Do you have better drawings?

• Like 1

Just some more paint this evening.

First inside color for the transparencies and it is Duralumin.

spacer.png

And the light blue of the Argentinian flag on the tail. The closest I have found is Gunze H45.

spacer.png

To be continued...

Patrick

• Like 12

Hello

I am progressing on the paint job.

For the NEIAF the mask of the rudder was the trickiest to create so that the black band was as regular as possible.

Thanks to my Silhouette cutting machine I could try and test.

spacer.png

Next came the black paint around and the border masks.

spacer.png

And the Argentinian one.

spacer.png

To be continued...

Patrick

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

Hello

After some months and a Mirage IIIB I am back to these bombers.

First I cut the wing leading edge to make the integrated landing lights as was the case for the WH-2 and the WAN.

spacer.png

I made some plexiglass blocks with a silver dot for the lights

spacer.png

and glued them into the leading edge

spacer.png

and later sanded flush to the edge.

spacer.png

Next I made the missing small window on the starboard side of the fuselage using the same process as above.

spacer.png

I modified the propellers according pictures

spacer.png

And now both kits are ready to be painted. The handling bars are made of copper wires.

spacer.png

spacer.png

To be continued...

Patrick

• Like 5

Hello

I have finished the painting job on both aircraft with a gloss varnish over.

First WH-2

spacer.png

spacer.png

and WAN 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next stage will be the transfers.

Patrick

• Like 10