Question for anyone with experience using Mig Ammo Acrylics

fdat345

So I've been building a T34/85 recently, first model in several years, so I've had quite a few rookie issues! I've painted the tank, with a brush, using Mig Ammo acrylics and am ready to move onto the weathering stage. I'm using oils to produce washes and oil dot weathering, however my thinners strip the paint straight off. I initially used humbrol enamel thinners which removed the Mig acrylic in a heartbeat. I read Humbrol thinners are pretty aggressive so just went out and bought some white spirit to give that a go. Same issue, paint comes right off. It was my understanding that most acrylics would survive thinners due to the whole oil and water not mixing thing? 

My question, therefore, is whats the best way to weather my tank using oils that wont strip the acrylic paint? Im guessing a clear coat of varnish but which do I need? Acrylic varnish or enamel? Does anyone with experience using Mig Ammo paints know whats the best option for me? 

Sorry for the rookie question, hopefully this will be an easy answer for most! 

Edited by fdat345
Grammar

15 hours ago, fdat345 said:

Im guessing a clear coat of varnish but which do I need? Acrylic varnish 

Does anyone with experience using Mig Ammo paints know whats the best option for me? 

Yes, you need to seal the colour with varnish, if you want to do larger areas, Ammo's own varnish has worked well for me, although all my use of Ammo Mig was airbrush.  Just be sparing with the the use of thinners, wet yes soaked and pooled no, also don't rub too hard.