1/48th Airfix BP. Defiant Mk.I, 277 (ASR) Sqn, Shoreham 1942

Sorry Mr O'Toole, seems like I've missed my homework again, would you believe the dog ate it? :unsure: No, didn't think so, anyway, now I've caught up with the rest of the class, this is great. Definitely my favourite Defiant scheme, one in my future in 1/72 I hope. Between your build & @dogsbody's photos, it a great reference thread too. 

I'll also out in a plug for Hawkinge, I visited there with my son when I was over nearly 6 years ago. For a 19 year old getting sick of traipsing around aircraft museums behind Dad, he really enjoyed it too, something new around every corner. When you get the chance, don't run yourself short of time. We only had a couple of spare hours, which stretched a bit & could have done with quite a lot more  I'm going back one day. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sorry Mr O'Toole, seems like I've missed my homework again, would you believe the dog ate it? :unsure: No, didn't think so, anyway, now I've caught up with the rest of the class, this is great. Definitely my favourite Defiant scheme, one in my future in 1/72 I hope. Between your build & @dogsbody's photos, it a great reference thread too. 

I'll also out in a plug for Hawkinge, I visited there with my son when I was over nearly 6 years ago. For a 19 year old getting sick of traipsing around aircraft museums behind Dad, he really enjoyed it too, something new around every corner. When you get the chance, don't run yourself short of time. We only had a couple of spare hours, which stretched a bit & could have done with quite a lot more  I'm going back one day. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, agreed re the pics Chris sent,...if only I`d seen the front view before finishing the model eh,.... and cheers for the advice re Hawkinge,..... was just talking about getting down there yesterday with the missus! The 1/72nd kit is lovely too mate and Xtradecal have a 277 Sqn option on their sheet for the type providing red or grey codes,..... here is my rendition;

Cheers mate,

Tony

• Like 2

Lovely builds as usual Tony. Very inspiring. But I would like to question the use of grey codes. I always thought that the codes were yellow. The tone of the monochrome pics posted show them to be quite light. The decals look nice but I reckon the codes are not right. Do you recall the RAF  Bof B flight Spitfire P7350 or it could have been AB910 when it was painted up to represent ASR Spits and they used yellow for the codes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Lovely builds as usual Tony. Very inspiring. But I would like to question the use of grey codes. I always thought that the codes were yellow. The tone of the monochrome pics posted show them to be quite light. The decals look nice but I reckon the codes are not right. Do you recall the RAF  Bof B flight Spitfire P7350 or it could have been AB910 when it was painted up to represent ASR Spits and they used yellow for the codes.

Cheers Paul,..... I actually question the colour of the codes in the text and say that I will probably paint over them using Sky after seeing the photos provided by Chris which I added to the the post after the model was finished,...... I know that some ASR Spitfie`s used yellow codes,.....one appears in a well know wartime colour photo,... . but whether they were used on Lysander`s and Defiant`s is open to question,..... they can also appear to be light grey, Sky or Red. 

This post refers to the ASR Spitfiers and includes the wartime colour pic;

Cheers

Tony

On 8/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, tonyot said:

Thanks Bruce,..... yep,.... a definite gem of a kit,..... a nice rainy Sunday afternoon kit! 

Hope you are well mate,

Tony

Thanks for the kind wishes Tony 

I am well, although as a frontline health care worker, the urge to model has really taken a beating this year. I have only just found the joy again during my recent leave

glad you are doing well too

Bruce 

• Like 1

I always love your models.  No matter how often I look at them I still can't believe you brush paint them.  Flawless finish, neat colour demarcations, no silvering of decals...  alchemy.

Hi Tony,

Great looking Defiant's, really good. Sorry if you have already been asked this,  or I have missed the answer already in the posts, but what paint do you use? All your brush painting is really good and achieves a superb finish, as good as airbrushing, without having to clean out the airbrush afterwards. Do you apply a top coat too?

Thanks,

Rob

12 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Thanks for the kind wishes Tony 

I am well, although as a frontline health care worker, the urge to model has really taken a beating this year. I have only just found the joy again during my recent leave

glad you are doing well too

Bruce 

Keep up the good work pal,..... battling away on the front lines,.... respect to you mate. 

10 hours ago, Natter said:

I always love your models.  No matter how often I look at them I still can't believe you brush paint them.  Flawless finish, neat colour demarcations, no silvering of decals...  alchemy.

Cheers Dave,...... I don`t know about that though,..... I still get silvering like everybody else and I wouldn`t call then flawless,.... far from it. 

5 hours ago, bobster said:

Hi Tony,

Great looking Defiant's, really good. Sorry if you have already been asked this,  or I have missed the answer already in the posts, but what paint do you use? All your brush painting is really good and achieves a superb finish, as good as airbrushing, without having to clean out the airbrush afterwards. Do you apply a top coat too?

Thanks,

Rob

Cheers Rob,..... glad you like it mate. I use all sorts of paints,.... from Humbrol enamels to Tamiya acrylics,..... whatever provides the most suitable colour,...... but I do prefer Aeromaster/ Polly Scale acrylics,..... however I am rapidly running out of my fast diminishing stock and have been experimenting with other paints as my popular colours dry up.  After 3-4 coats of each colour,... I apply a coat of Humbrol enamel gloss varnish for the decals,..... then apply another to seal them. After this is dry I generally apply a coat of acrylic matt varnish.  A nice big flat brush helps with applying the base colour and the varnish,...... it cuts down on brush marks.

All the best

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tom R said:

That's a great job. Really interesting Defiant scheme.  I see where you are coming from with the codes but the bulk of ASR aircraft codes seems to have been yellow or red. Could they be red?

Thanks Tom,.... I know where you are coming from re the colour of the codes,.... I really do,..... but the centre of the roundel is red and it appears almost black due to the filter/b&w film type,..... and they don`t match the yellow outline of the roundel either, but they are quite close to the spinner and underside colour? 

Cheers

Tony 

Fantastic builds there Tony - absolutely stunning. I've always had a soft spot for the Defiant and love to see them being represented on BM. I agree with you about the airfix kit - I made the 1/72 and it's probably one of my favourite kits I've ever built so if the 1/48 is the same it's no wonder it's good. So nice to see a defiant in the Grey/Green camo - really seems to suit and you've done a cracking job with the paint finish 👏👍 Well done for the top work on an often underrepresented aircraft as I think they deserve far more appreciation.

Kris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Fantastic builds there Tony - absolutely stunning. I've always had a soft spot for the Defiant and love to see them being represented on BM. I agree with you about the airfix kit - I made the 1/72 and it's probably one of my favourite kits I've ever built so if the 1/48 is the same it's no wonder it's good. So nice to see a defiant in the Grey/Green camo - really seems to suit and you've done a cracking job with the paint finish 👏👍 Well done for the top work on an often underrepresented aircraft as I think they deserve far more appreciation.

Kris

Wow thanks Kris,...... yeah the 1/72nd & 1/48th kits are both superb and a joy to build. ..... one of those fall back kits when you need something that will almost build itself! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 11:51 PM, oz rb fan said:

a stunning model....i am looking at doing something like this but with a twist....do you know where i can get the conversion from?

Thanks mate,..... I don`t think the company is still in business mate,.... sorry. 

On 1/18/2021 at 10:07 PM, Murewa said:

Oh amazing, I've always had a soft spot for these somewhat mis-conceived aircraft. What a beautiful job you've done of them in and such amazing detail in the ASR equipment. WOW!  

Thanks mate,.... yeah me too and glad you like the extra bits! .  

• Like 1