1/48th Airfix BP. Defiant Mk.I, 277 (ASR) Sqn, Shoreham 1942

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony, it is a shame that travelling is harder now , is that your back I presume?  Will be good to do that, you will really enjoy the visit.  The reduced sticker worked a treat and I think I have got away with it.  Now I need to find a raffle to enter for some tickets to keep in my wallet for future purchases!!!

All the best

Chris

Hiya Chris,..... yes mate it`s my back,...... bumps in the road hurt like hell as I have no shock absorption so it feels like a smack in the back and it really take it out of me after a while. Travelling to Duxford tomorrow for a birthday `treat' but have to travel down the day before, rest up overnight, then have the day out and travel back next day,...... really looking forward to it,..... but not the travelling. Thing is with raffle tickets,..... you need the stub and the matching winning ticket! 

22 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Fine looking Defiant and interesting stores

Rob

Thanks Rob,..... yeah something a bit different under the wings. 

• Like 1

Whilst browsing through my Carl Vincent file ( all the stuff he's sent me in the last year and more ) I found this, so thought I would share it.

It's from a High Flight ( Vol.2 No. 1 ) article written by Hugh A. Halliday.

50193550546_5f6fcf8079_b.jpg

The full article is here, Post # 15: 

Chris

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Whilst browsing through my Carl Vincent file ( all the stuff he's sent me in the last year and more ) I found this, so thought I would share it.

It's from a High Flight ( Vol.2 No. 1 ) article written by Hugh A. Halliday.

50193550546_5f6fcf8079_b.jpg

Chris

Brilliant those Chris,......wish I`d seen the second one while building my model,..... I added the under wing roundels to the model as an after thought after seeing them under another 277 Sqn Defiant,.....seems like I shouldn`t have done,.....ah well!  Nice to see what was under the left wing too. At least I guessed right by keeping the spinner all Sky rather than painting the rear section black as often depicted,.... the codes almost look white in these pics too but are definitely not yellow too. I was also in two minds about adding a code under the nose,......looks like there was one, inside a black disk,.....so might add that too,..... might also have a go at painting over the BA-A codes using white,..... we`ll see?

I`ll nick the first pic and add it to my original post if that is OK mate,..... as that was my sole reference, albeit not as good quality as the one you`ve so kindly posted.

All the best and cheers again,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I`ll nick the first pic and add it to my original post if that is OK mate,..... as that was my sole reference, albeit not as good quality as the one you`ve so kindly posted.

All the best and cheers again,                                              

Give'r! It's public info from a 1982 magazine. I don't see any issue with it.

Chris

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Give'r! It's public info from a 1982 magazine. I don't see any issue with it.

Chris

Cheers mate,..... looking at those pics again,..... I`d say that the codes are actually Sky,.... which is what I chose for my 1/72nd model too. Looks like the small brushes might be coming out,...... I`ll have to leave the camouflage for the nose area as it is mind you,..... which looks like it might also be wrong? I`ll keep the underwing roundels as they `might' have been added later,.... and I like them!

• Like 1

That's a fine looking Defiant Tony and in a really eye catching colour scheme. The paint finish is flawless. Your brushwork always has me green with envy, as I can even leave brush marks with an airbrush!! 

Definitely a good call with the fuselage roundels, the markings sheet certainly does have a tad on the bright side. 

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 1

That is beautiful work Tony - lovely scheme too. Nice to see a variation from the usual BoB scheme but your nightfighter version is also stunning!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Chris,..... yes mate it`s my back,...... bumps in the road hurt like hell as I have no shock absorption so it feels like a smack in the back and it really take it out of me after a while. Travelling to Duxford tomorrow for a birthday `treat' but have to travel down the day before, rest up overnight, then have the day out and travel back next day,...... really looking forward to it,..... but not the travelling. Thing is with raffle tickets,..... you need the stub and the matching winning ticket! 

Crikey fella, I feel for you there, and that sounds awful, you need air suspension.  I hope you have a cracking day at Duxford and as a pain free journeys as possible fella. Oh and Happy Birthday too.  

P.S

Good point re the raffle ticket stubs too, she would have no doubt seen through the cunning plan otherwise, thanks.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cngaero said:

That's a fine looking Defiant Tony and in a really eye catching colour scheme. The paint finish is flawless. Your brushwork always has me green with envy, as I can even leave brush marks with an airbrush!! 

Definitely a good call with the fuselage roundels, the markings sheet certainly does have a tad on the bright side. 

Thanks mate,.... and LOL re the brush marks,..... made me chuckle that! 

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

That is beautiful work Tony - lovely scheme too. Nice to see a variation from the usual BoB scheme but your nightfighter version is also stunning!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Dunny,.... my next one will be Battle of Britain mind you! 

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey fella, I feel for you there, and that sounds awful, you need air suspension.  I hope you have a cracking day at Duxford and as a pain free journeys as possible fella. Oh and Happy Birthday too.  

P.S

Good point re the raffle ticket stubs too, she would have no doubt seen through the cunning plan otherwise, thanks.

All the best

Chris

Thanks mate,..... Duxford usually has a painkilling effect on me,..... mind you I feel it afterwards LOL

• Like 3

On 8/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, F-32 said:

Very different, I really like that!

Thanks mate.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:29 PM, Silver Fox said:

Great model as always, you are also right in saying what a great kit it is. 

Enjoy Duxford , my wife has bought me tickets for the airshow in September I have my fingers crossed for it to happen. 

Thanks Andy,....... and glad you like the kit too.

Speaking to people at Duxford,.... they are hopeful and are looking at what the Shuttleworth have been doing re drive in airshows,..... where you park up and stay with your vehicle? I`m not saying that is what will happen,...... but they have been interesting in this concept,..... parking along the flightline and giving people enough room to have a picnic alongside their cars. It seems to be working for the Shuttleworth,..... but that is a smaller venue. Even if you go down just for a visit,..... there is loads of flying going on,...... I saw at least six different Spits,... with Spits flying throughout the day,...pairs take offs,..... full air display sets,....the works,....... a Hurricane was set to fly too and there were Tiger Moths and the Dragon Rapide were up doing public flights too,..... even saw a couple of Scout helicopters turn up in formation plus a lovely Chipmunk plus lots of light aviation stuff too. ..... plus a couple of Mildenhall Special Ops HC-130`s. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Lovely finish mate and great to see one of the more unusual schemes..well from a modelling perspective. Beautifully painted as usual :)

Cheers Neil,..... might be re painting the codes Sky yet,..... and I wish I`d had that second reference photo when I was building the model,...... but thanks mate.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 2:54 PM, russ c said:

Superb Defiant there Tony, great scheme and subject too

Thanks Russ,.... didn`t recognise you there with your mask on mate!! 

On 8/12/2020 at 1:19 PM, tomkil said:

Super job! 

The Defiant is one of those aircraft that look great as a kit somehow and this ranks among the very best.

Cheers Tom, yeah I like the Defiant too and it is very nice of you to say so.

56 minutes ago, beastieboy said:

absolutely superb set of builds

Thanks mate,.... glad you like them.

23 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

Outstanding!! Great job! And it's nice to see the Defiant in a different scheme (grey-green).

Miguel

Thanks Miguel,..... agreed,.... I do like the less well known schemes,.... but then I made another in Battle of Britain DE/DG/Sky colours straight afterwards to accompany my night fighter!!

55 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

Lovely work again Tony. The airfix defiant is such an enjoyable kit too, as you say.

regards 

Bruce 

Thanks Bruce,..... yep,.... a definite gem of a kit,..... a nice rainy Sunday afternoon kit! 

Hope you are well mate,

Tony