1/48th Airfix BP. Defiant Mk.I, 277 (ASR) Sqn, Shoreham 1942

58 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Another excellent build, Tony. Does the '72 go together as well as the '48?

Thanks Vinnie,....... although it isn`t as detailed as the 1/48th kit,..... the little 1/72nd kit is also a gem,.... and goes together very well indeed,..... both kits have been very well thought out. 

2 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

A cracking Defiant! Beautiful paint finish ...nice to see something different to the overall black or green / earth schemes. Fabulous 👍

Cheers Binbrook,..... yeah you know m for liking something a bit `different,..... although I`ve since bought another to made a 264 Sqn Battle of Britain machine too! Quite an intereting aeroplane the Defiant and I have a few Classic Airframes target tugs in the stash too. 

• Like 2

Superb, as ever.

I've been meaning to ask, do you mask the top and bottom surfaces? Or is it a good eye and very steady hand? You always get very crisp lines!

• Like 1

Blimey Tony - your really wacking out your builds recently!

Lovely work as ever - you may have tempted me to have a go at this kit even though it only has one wing!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

That's a great build, Tony.

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... glad you like it mate.

29 minutes ago, IanC said:

Superb, as ever.

I've been meaning to ask, do you mask the top and bottom surfaces? Or is it a good eye and very steady hand? You always get very crisp lines!

Thanks Ian,...... it all depends,.....for a straight line I use masking tape,...and did so along the leading edges,..... but for anything else I paint freehand,.....and did so for the fuselage as it is quite a wavy line. I don`t know about a good eye and steady hand,...... but,..... marksmanship principles do help,...... ie hold your breath while you are firing or touching the model with the brush,....... it cuts down on shaky hands,..... honestly.

8 minutes ago, John_W said:

Very nice. The green and grey suits it well.

Thanks John,...... I went for a quite faded look on the camouflage of this one,...... not the darker blue grey of true Extra Dark ea Grey. 

8 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

Beautifully done!

Thanks Harold,.... glad you like it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Blimey Tony - your really wacking out your builds recently!

Lovely work as ever - you may have tempted me to have a go at this kit even though it only has one wing!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave,..... yeah I just fancied a quick easy build after the Valetta,..... and it is a lovely kit, well detailed but easy to build. I`ve got three Mustangs almost finished too,.... I`ll post them next week. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Your production line is positively humming. A great finish, on the new Defiant, a tribute to your brushwork!

Thanks Colin,......nice of you to say so,...... I have three Mustangs following closely behind too! 

16 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Very well done!

Thanks mate. 

Tony you are a machine!!! Great work fella, the Defiant looks absolutely gorgeous, nearly bought one yesterday when I visited the amazing Battle of Britain collection at Hawkinge, but came out with the large scale Airfix Mustang IV instead,  as have always wanted one .

Love your defiants

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Tony you are a machine!!! Great work fella, the Defiant looks absolutely gorgeous, nearly bought one yesterday when I visited the amazing Battle of Britain collection at Hawkinge, but came out with the large scale Airfix Mustang IV instead,  as have always wanted one .

Love your defiants

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,....... I`ve always fancied going to Hawkinge but never got down there yet,....... have they got any engines on the He. 111 yet? I heard they were aiming to put a pair of Jumo`s onto it instead of the Merlin`s? Good luck with the Mustang,.... watch out for those wings drooping and maybe add a wing spar or something?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Vinnie,....... although it isn`t as detailed as the 1/48th kit,..... the little 1/72nd kit is also a gem,.... and goes together very well indeed,..... both kits have been very well thought out. 

Cheers Binbrook,..... yeah you know m for liking something a bit `different,..... although I`ve since bought another to made a 264 Sqn Battle of Britain machine too! Quite an intereting aeroplane the Defiant and I have a few Classic Airframes target tugs in the stash too. 

Yes it is an interesting aircraft and since watching the aircraft featured on a recent WW2 Treasure Hunters episode i have even more admiration for it.

• Like 1

Two stunning build's Tony love the later scheme look's well on the airframe and I totally agree I have one built a few year's back superb kit,now

what we need is Airfix to tool the Fairey Battle then the Firefly in this scale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,....... I`ve always fancied going to Hawkinge but never got down there yet,....... have they got any engines on the He. 111 yet? I heard they were aiming to put a pair of Jumo`s onto it instead of the Merlin`s? Good luck with the Mustang,.... watch out for those wings drooping and maybe add a wing spar or something

Hi Tony, it is well worth a visit.  I spend ages reading the stories on the boards with the small bits of the recovered aircraft etc.  Absolutely amazing.  The Heinkel engines are still off at the moment.  Work is also going on with the Blenheim too although this is off site so this still looks the same at the moment too, but should be quite exciting over the next few years.  I got the guy in the shop to stick a reduced sticker on the large kit box so I could say it was discounted to SWMBO, but that's just between us, don't tell anyone!!!  I initially asked for a raffle ticket to be taped on so I coul say I had won it, then I could have got another kit too, but they didn't have any left, handy tip, when you enter a raffle, keep some of the tickets tucked in your wallet for such situations!!!

Yes I see a spar may well be needed,  but now I have the large shelves specifically for the large scale models I had better start filling them up.

If you are ever down this way for a visit to Hawkinge, let me know and feel free to pop round for a cuppa or something stronger .

Thanks fella

All the best

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

Yes it is an interesting aircraft and since watching the aircraft featured on a recent WW2 Treasure Hunters episode i have even more admiration for it.

I`ve not seen that one,...... I`ll have to keep my eyes open for it. 

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Two stunning build's Tony love the later scheme look's well on the airframe and I totally agree I have one built a few year's back superb kit,now

what we need is Airfix to tool the Fairey Battle then the Firefly in this scale.

Cheers Steve,..... glad you`ve experienced the kit too,....... Battle and Firefly,....oh mate,.... now you are talking! I`d settle for a Battle in 1/72nd to be fair. 

33 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thanks mate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony, it is well worth a visit.  I spend ages reading the stories on the boards with the small bits of the recovered aircraft etc.  Absolutely amazing.  The Heinkel engines are still off at the moment.  Work is also going on with the Blenheim too although this is off site so this still looks the same at the moment too, but should be quite exciting over the next few years.  I got the guy in the shop to stick a reduced sticker on the large kit box so I could say it was discounted to SWMBO, but that's just between us, don't tell anyone!!!  I initially asked for a raffle ticket to be taped on so I coul say I had won it, then I could have got another kit too, but they didn't have any left, handy tip, when you enter a raffle, keep some of the tickets tucked in your wallet for such situations!!!

Yes I see a spar may well be needed,  but now I have the large shelves specifically for the large scale models I had better start filling them up.

If you are ever down this way for a visit to Hawkinge, let me know and feel free to pop round for a cuppa or something stronger .

Thanks fella

All the best

Chris

I`ve read a lot about the museum and Hawkinge during the battle,.....and I`m really looking forward to being `immersed' in the Battle,...... but travelling is hard for me now and I would have to be able to fit in some family visits around Kent too,...... we were hoping to do it this year but COVID scuppered that,..... hopfully next year. If we get down I`ll certainly let you know,..... perhaps we could even go around the mueum together? Good idea re the sticker and raffle ticket,....... hope you got away with the sticker? 

Cheers mate

Tony

• Like 1

Just now, tonyot said:

I`ve read a lot about the museum and Hawkinge during the battle,.....and I`m really looking forward to being `immersed' in the Battle,...... but travelling is hard for me now and I would have to be able to fit in some family visits around Kent too,...... we were hoping to do it this year but COVID scuppered that,..... hopfully next year. If we get down I`ll certainly let you know,..... perhaps we could even go around the mueum together? Good idea re the sticker and raffle ticket,....... hope you got away with the sticker? 

Cheers mate

Tony

Hi Tony, it is a shame that travelling is harder now , is that your back I presume?  Will be good to do that, you will really enjoy the visit.  The reduced sticker worked a treat and I think I have got away with it.  Now I need to find a raffle to enter for some tickets to keep in my wallet for future purchases!!!

All the best

Chris

• Haha 1