A Beech Musketeer question

Scott Hemsley

I'm currently toying with a conversion of Airfix's 1972 1/72 Piper Cherokee Arrow II, into the dimensionally (slightly) larger CT-134 Beechcraft Musketeer.  Googling the specifications for both aircraft give you the mandatory dimensions for the length and the wing span, but they omit the span for the tailplane.  I've seen a few Musketeer conversions on the 'net over time, but it appeared most left the tailplane as per the Airfix kit.  

I've recently become aware that there's a 72nd resin model of a Musketeer from Aero-Modelle in the Netherlands, that has 72nd drawings (at least they fit the published dimensions of length and wingspan) that puts the span of the tailplane at a scale 10' 9" … which at a quick glance, seems a bit big for an aircraft the size of the Musketeer.  However, maybe that is the correct span, I dunno.  🙂    So … can anyone enlighten me as to the definitive span for the CT-134 Musketeer's tailplane?  

For those more in tune to modelling General Aviation subjects, and not familiar with the Canadian Air Force designation,  the CT-134 Musketeer (according to on online source.) was based on the 1971 model B23 Beechcraft Musketeer, while the CT-134a was based upon the Beechcraft C23 Sundowner.

Scott

According to the Pilot's Operating Handbook for the Sport III Musketeer Models A23-19 & 19A, the horizontal tailplane has a span of 10' 8". I'm not aware of any difference for the CT-134 and -134a.

I have the Aero Modell kit and it is quite nice. There was an excellent build article in a back issue of IPMS-Canada's Random Thoughts.

Thanks Michael, for the span confirmation.  It's just what I needed to hear.  :)  

As for the resin kit, keep in mind that I've only seen the 'parts' online, but I think I'd really take a look at that whole cowling area, when building it.  Doing the conversion on the Airfix kit and consulting over 43 Musketeer photos, has shown me it's really much more of a complex shape and more streamlined, than the resin profile appears to be, when the parts are laid out.   If you choose to do anything about it, at least you have more than enough resin to play with considering the 'engine' is solid resin.  Just sayin...

Thanks again!

Scott