1/32 Hasegawa F5e Tiger II

Well folks. We've made it to the next steps. Most parts are glued on now. The air vents? at the back have a little radiator type thing inside them. I've managed to get them to fit the fuselage without glue. So maybe I'll be able to remove them after painting to pop the silver bit back inside. 

20210224_215040 20210224_215126

Took me a while to scribe. Had to do some then walk away from it otherwise it became to tedious, some sittings I actually got really into it and made good progress, but got there in the end. 

20210225_000821

20210225_000835

20210225_000840

20210225_000911

20210225_000953

20210225_001002

Some lines may be a little wonky, the odd scratch still visable from one of many 'oops' moments. But you get the general idea. Filling and sanding isn't actually my strong point. 

I'm not sure what my strong point is yet, but I'm working on finding it 😊

Going to have to decide which of the two camo schemes to do included in the destructions. 

I think there's another set of decals in there from the previous owner (my friend) 

Hopefully get some pre shading on soon. 

Thanks for looking 

🐧

• Like 7

So I was browsing pictures and walk arounds of the F-5e and found this guy in the background with his awesome mustache

2021-02-27_11-28-37

Anyway, put some more shading on the F5 I think I'm going to be going with all shades of grey. 

20210227_225838

20210227_225858

I used some really old paints I found called Liqu-a-plate. I've got aluminium, magnesium, titanium and a dayglo one. They were all pretty hard and stank, I just dropped cellulose thinners in one and saw if it worked. It did. 

20210227_233535

20210227_233556

Despite the above notes on the back of the bottle. I had already masked out the engine, sprayed straight onto primer and xf-1 and sealed with valejo gloss. All seems well. 

Hopefully get the camo on soon. 

🐧

• Like 4

I've only just noticed this thread, but I'll definitely be taking an interest as I've made a start on this kit.  It's another that's been lying round for a few years.  Great job on the rescribing.  Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Liqua-Plate - there's a product I probably haven't seen mentioned since the late 1980s.  It was there before SnJ Spray Metal I think.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

Put some light grey down on the bottom. Lazily masked the gear bay. 

20210301_215344

I ended up going back over some of the panel lines in dilute black again. As I hadn't watered down the light grey enough. I'll tone it all down with a white wash, maybe some salt weathering? 

20210301_231344 20210301_231351

It's a pretty large model. So great chance to have a go at some techniques that might otherwise look 'too much' on a 1/72 or even 1/48.

Ive learned a lot about my airbrush lately, and don't really dread it anymore. I've managed to do tiny lines, small spots, curly bits etc. All without really ruining anything. Though my setup is LOUD! I've an old pump and a tank. 

More to come soon. 

🐧

• Like 4

Very nice work so far, especially the cockpit and gun bay details. Rescribing is a massive pain on such a large kit, I admit I was nowhere as industrious as you've been when I built this kit!

Preshade still looks a bit heavy to my eye after going over it with the black, but it sounds like you've got bigger plans with washes and salt shading, so I'll shut up! 

Alan 

• Haha 1

No need to shut up 😁

On second inspection this morning in better light, you were right anyway. So I put a little more light grey over the bottom and then some over the top surface. I've added a slightly darker shade of grey in places too. I'll probably just put little bits of the blueish grey colour on as I quite like the effect so far. 

As I said I might do a little salt weathering on the underside so needs to be a tad darker for the thinned white over the salt. 

Were here so far. 

20210302_162907

20210302_162917

🐧

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I keep second guessing my work. Ill be using decals for the 'wrong' paint scheme, even though I'm sure these aircraft got painted all sorts of colours being the aggressors. 

But I'm kinda liking the grey tones.

Hopefully all the rescribing will help me tie it together with some weathering and oil paint blobs. 

I think I should put the decals on to stop me respraying it. 

20210302_223613

I mean, there's some nice tones in there. 

20210302_223618

20210302_223632

Just realised that the front number decal is over the gun hatches...of course 🙄

I also need clear red and blue for the lights. That's going to take a bit of digging into the resourcefulness box. 

Going to approach all this tomorrow, the red wine is calling me. 

🐧🍷

• Like 4

Been a few days. Got some more done. 

Decals are on. 

20210308_141513

20210308_141737

20210308_141742

I know its probably all the wrong colours and markings, but hey ho is what it is. 

Started on some panel line washes before I matte cote and then oil paints. 

20210308_151113

20210308_151103

Still have to scribe and paint the pylons and assemble the landing gears. 

Thanks for looking 

🐧

• Like 3

I really enjoyed seeing the details come together on this one, more than once I've reread the first page.

On 8/16/2020 at 5:21 AM, FPDPenguin said:

I have noticed that my mate must have pinched the side winders out of the kit. So I'm going to have to scratch build them. 

From what I've read online that was probably for the best: I read a few reviews of this kit yesterday and they called out the Sidewinders as being pretty poor representations.

• Like 1

Very neat work, it looks good in grey 👍

I really like you saying 'It is what it is'. We need more of that on internet modelling sites, it all gets a bit too anatomical and serious sometimes 😉

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Very neat work, it looks good in grey 👍

I really like you saying 'It is what it is'. We need more of that on internet modelling sites, it all gets a bit too anatomical and serious sometimes 😉

Yes it does. Some of the decals were damaged so one scheme was out of the question. 

Looking at pictures online, this bird came in so many different colour schemes I'm willing to bet some planes got painted several times, all colours in between. 

Plus I kinda like the grey/blue, and after all, it's my model so I'll paint it how I like 😊

Thanks for the comments 👍

🐧

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

I really enjoyed seeing the details come together on this one, more than once I've reread the first page.

From what I've read online that was probably for the best: I read a few reviews of this kit yesterday and they called out the Sidewinders as being pretty poor representations.

Thanks for the comments 😊

I doubt my scratch built missles are any better 😂 I just went off basic scale plans I found.

🐧

• Like 1

Panel lines done

20210308_231302

20210308_231318

The two darker patches on the left under the pylons was a bit of a mistake. When I was spraying a very light white layer over the grey salt weathering I forgot to turn the model enough, so ended up with one wing lighter than the other. 

But I kinda like it. Not everything in life is symmetrical. I'll probably tone it down a little, but we'll see what happens with oils shades yet. 

Thanks all

🐧

• Like 3

She's a dirty birdy 

20210310_192750 20210310_192754 20210310_192804 20210310_192809 20210310_192824 20210310_192832 20210310_192835

Got to paint the arresting hook, sort the pylons out, the gears are already assembled and ready to fit. 

Had a bit of trouble with the oils on this one. Don't know if I need better quality paints, or if because they have sat so long that the oil in them had come to the top of the tube. Or I hadn't put enough satin varnish on beforehand. Either way it's done now. 

Got a few irl things planned next couple of days, but hopefully get a few bits done on the evenings. 

Oh and I've got to paint the canopy 🙄 something I hate doing more than decals.

Till next time 

🐧

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worcesterjohn said:

I’ve come to this build late, but loving it. Great work !

27 minutes ago, Matt Crane said:

That’s a great looking bird!

Both just in time. Miss all the fluff and get the end game. 😂

• Haha 2