1/32 Hasegawa F5e Tiger II

I recently saw a good friend who is also an excellent modeler. Whenever I see him he always gifts me old models and things. Amongst the box of stuff he gave me was a partially started kit. 

20200801_183546

He has a habit of using the rudder to open and close things such as bomb bay doors or canopies. 

This particular kit he told me, he ended up giving up on because of the way the canopy pivots open. So I've no hope in getting it to work.

Below is a picture of what he'd already done to the seat

20200801_183817

I then noticed the air brakes have been modified. 

20200801_183826

Looking closer there is a mechanism inside the fuselage. (I've taped it in place) 

20200804_202333

20200804_202410

Turns out this is to control the air brake doors, as can be seen on the under side. 

20200804_202502

I've no idea where to start to get this mechanism to work. But I'll sure have a go. I will have to call him and see if he remembers what he was going to do. 

In the mean time I've started with the usual stuff. I've put the wings together and filled them 

20200804_202301

Looking at after market cockpit sets I decided just to add some bits to the standard cockpit, just to add a little interest. I also removed the brass work my friend had added. (sorry) 

20200804_235010

I've got another 2 projects on the go at the same time as this. But couldn't resist it since its already been started. 

I'll get some paint on it tomorrow hopefully. 

🐧 

Edited by FPDPenguin
Remove duplicate picture
  • Like 5

Wow thats ambitious detailing making moving parts, soldering tubing is an aquired skill it will be very interesting to see how the parts function alot of dry fitting and testing for sure. I guess you could continue on trying to get all the flaps ect to move that would be impressive. Looking to the RC planes for how they rig control surfaces might give you an insight into making yours work at smaller scale.

• Like 1

I'm actually a pewtersmith by trade, so soldering tiny bits isn't that much of a challenge to me. It's actually designing the mechanism that I'll fall foul on. 

Would be a shame to scrap his idea totally. But it will only be hanging from the ceiling in my sons room. 

The little man had his first injections today, so he's a little grumpy. Got him off to sleep and managed a bit of painting. 

Here's the office

20200806_174301

20200806_174309

Dry fitted it secured with tape. 

20200806_183523

There were so many photos of different cockpit arrangements so I sort of winged it. (ducks from the purists) 

20200806_183610

I'll do front nose gear bay next and seal up the front section ready for filling and sanding. 

🐧 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Night Owl said:

I'll be following your progress so please post as time permits. Nice detailing behind the seat was that the kit or your doing? 

It was just some bits I added. Probably in accurate. I just looked at some pics of after market stuff and took some artistic licences 😂

That’s a well painted cockpit.

I remember this as being a very nice kit with excellent cockpit detail supplied except for the throttle handles which are a little simplified. If you have ( or can obtain ) the Detail and Scale volume on the F-5 you will see what I mean.

looking forward to more.

John

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

That’s a well painted cockpit.

I remember this as being a very nice kit with excellent cockpit detail supplied except for the throttle handles which are a little simplified. If you have ( or can obtain ) the Detail and Scale volume on the F-5 you will see what I mean.

looking forward to more.

John

I had noticed that, but as it will spend most of its time hanging from my sons bedroom ceiling, it shouldn't be a problem. 

It is a shame though, as you rightly say, the rest of the cockpit has some lovely detail. 

Thanks for looking 

🐧 

Had a bit of time on this earlier. Mostly fettling and sanding the filling. Ive also now built the nose gear and sealed up the front section. I had to carefully prise the seat out so I had at least a little hope in masking off the cockpit. I'll upload pics when I've sanded it and gave it a lick of primer. 

I did look at assembling the main landing gear, but it's straight forward and can go on at a later date. 

🐧 

Removed the flimsy barrel, replaced it with metal. 

20200814_233130

When I sealed up the front half the part above the canopy wouldn't close up properly, so with a bit of persuading and a tad of card it stayed sealed. 

20200814_233238

There's some work to be done on the seams. Not to bad, but some parts will need filling. 

20200814_233324

I've created a hinge for the upper door to the gun bay, this is mostly to keep it in place when the outer paint goes on. I suppose I'll have to look into making the bottom door move now. 🙄

20200815_003409

I did some light sanding, gave it a shot of primer which has shown how awful I am at sanding. 

So I moved onto the gun bay for now. 

20200815_154102

The next problem I've got is the ammo belt doesn't quite reach the gun. 😒

So that's where I am at the moment. 

🐧 

• Like 3

Here's the ammo belt. With a little heat and bending, trial fitting I got it in place. Added a bit of colour and dirt of course. 

20200815_160912

2020-08-15_06-18-13

I'll add some hoses to the nose gear and get that painted. Also assemble the fuel tank(s)? 

Not decided on the load out. I have noticed that my mate must have pinched the side winders out of the kit. So I'm going to have to scratch build them. 

🐧 

• Like 6

The kit instructions say to paint the ammo box white. But looking deeper on the Internet, which I should have done first. Its not white! It's silver. 🙄

Also at the bottom right there's also a grid/mesh and an ejection port. 

Guess I'll have to dry brush a bit of silver on and see if I can add a bit of photo etch or thin card. 

Doesn't seem to be much love for this kit on here. I'll save posting my drivel and only update when I've done anything major. 

🐧 

• Like 2

Did a little work on the nose gear. 

20200819_154646 20200819_154659

I used my new micro drill bits for this. Good job they're cheap, I snapped the 0.5mm one after 15 minutes 😂 luckily I can clamp the bit into the pin vice still, and I have spares. Don't hold out much hope for the 0.3mm ones 😂

I will do the same to the main gear, just a few hydraulic lines. Reference photos show a line that goes into the wheel hub, presumably for the brakes. 

It appears that my friend who had this kit before me had scavenged the sidewinders. So a quick bit of scratch building. 

20200821_173037

Bit of sprue cut to length 

20200821_185143

Fins added front and back. Also drilled the back out to make the nozzle. 

20200821_211437

I've also decided to do something I've never done before. And that's rescribe an entire kit. I told my mate about this and he sent me his hasegawa templet tritool scribe set. 

2020-08-22_01-01-06

I've had a quick look at this. And offered them up to the kit. It's going to be a long build this one! Guess I better get on with the Taube. 

I'm also thinking of starting a canberra with the aeroclub conversion kit he gave me for the italeri 1/72 canberra. 

🐧 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You’re rescribing a whole 1/32 kit! Rather you than me.

Good Luck 

John

Yes, I've realised just how crazy that is. But I've gone and started it now 😔

🐧 

Edited by FPDPenguin
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Looking forward to seeing progress on this. I like the cockpit work.

I have this kit in my stash, I rather like the lines of the F-5 and couldn't resist it for a tenner!  I think I may choose something smaller for a first rescribing project though...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Looking forward to seeing progress on this. I like the cockpit work.

I have this kit in my stash, I rather like the lines of the F-5 and couldn't resist it for a tenner!  I think I may choose something smaller for a first rescribing project though...

Yup I'm feeling the same now 😂

• Like 1

The wings are all done. The tail is done. Most of the sub assemblies are compete and have a lick of paint on them. Just the fuselage to go. The underside is full of detail. I'm thinking I might omit the odd bit. Save my sanity. 

WHY DID I START THIS? 

Ive sealed the fuselage up. It actually makes it a bit easier to handle. Dry fitted everything to give me a look at what it's going to be. 

It's a big bird. 

20210216_173654

20210216_173715

20210216_173643

So it's the fuselage to go then I can get it together. The fit of the wings is pretty bad, and the tail is on a wonk. So that will need sorting too....

🐧

• Like 6