Accurate water based acrylic paints for WWII RAF/FAA aircraft colours

Nobby Clarke

I am interested to receive your feedback and opinions on the accuracy of model paints marketed as matches for WWII RAF and FAA colours. This is a huge field of products, but I use exclusively water-based acrylics due to their low toxicity (good for indoor spraying) and easy clean up. Brands in this category include: Vallejo (Model Color, Model Air, Panzer Aces), Mission Models, LifeColor, AMMO by MiG, Citadel, AK Interactive, Mr Hobby Acrysion, and more I’m sure. For my colour standard I use the colour card in the back of the 1976 RAF Museum book “British Aviation Colours of World War Two”.

For example, I have found the following to be good matches:

Dark Earth: Vallejo Model Color 70.921 English Uniform

Dark Green: Vallejo Model Color 70.892 Yellow Olive

Sky: Mission Models Paint (MPP) MMP-080 Sky ANA-610

Please let me know what water-based acrylics you are using for accuracy to the RAF/FAA colours.

Edited by Nobby Clarke
Refined title

24 minutes ago, Nobby Clarke said:

For my colour standard I use the colour card in the back of the 1976 RAF Museum book “British Aviation Colours of World War Two”.

Best way.  Many of the quoted 'matches' are poor.  Brush outs and a visual check if your colour vision is good, but obviously it helps to have some input so you don't have to buy the entire range...! 

EDIT - suggest editing your thread heading to "water based acrylic paints, Accurate matches for WWII RAF/FAA aircraft colours"  which makes your request clear at a glance.

There have been threads on this.  

THis maybe of use

Bear in mind that you also cross over into some US ANA colors as they were used on Lend Lease types.  

HTH