1/48 E2C Hawkeye 2000

Hi guys,

Thought I'd post up a couple of photos of my current project. I started the decals Friday on the wing's but only just got round to continuing. Weirdly, the decals for the wing tips are way too short, they are supposed to cover the whole area of the wingtip but stop at the flaps.

My Hataka Willow green paint arrived in the post today, I could only find the exact callout from a model store in Poland but the shipping was really fast! I love the colour but I overlooked the fact it is a much lighter shade to that of thr decals. Nevermind though, it stands out nicely either way. 

All thats left now is to finish the decals tomorrow evening, finish building and detailing the landing gears and to attach all the little fiddly bits to the kit. As well as a bit of weathering, im going to keep this one clean, I put a lot of time into making sure the pre- shading looked varied and everything I have heard and seen about this aircraft is that they were kept pretty clean. 

I forgot to mention, its a Kinetic kit, which has nicely restored my faith in buying another one of their kits. I had a lot of issues with their EA- 6B Patriots boxing, so much so I emailed them about the fuselage fit because it seemed warped or just completely off. I gave up after the decals crumbled on me. I might come back to it at some stage if I didn't end up making too much of a mess out of it. 

Anyway, even though this hasn't been a complete work in progress; I've really been enjoying the build so wanted to share it with you all. 

Hope everyone is doing well,

Ryan

20200804_215412 20200804_215609

• Like 4

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looking really great!

How was the build so far?

This is a big plane after all!

Thanks,

Its going well which I was really suprised with it being an Italeri rebox.

The decals have been the main issue, they are really good in some aspects, nice and thin and look good when they're set however as mentioned the wing tip art is underscale and the latest problem I have faced has been the decals for the vertical stabilizer which are a mess to fit. So much so I decided to opt out of fully putting them on to sacrifice accuracy in the representation of the real plane for an 'artistic approach' if im allowed to call it that at this stage haha. The green callout is also a lot lighter than the colour of the decals, luckily the decal sheet has a seperate decal just for this with the number without the green backing so I just used the painted stabilizer with the number over top; hopefully that makes sense if you see the photos. Basically any way I tried to apply the decals, I came across issues.

(Decal 76, 75 and 74 are meant to go over the raised section for reference).

Next time I would probably not choose a scheme with decals over almost 90 degree angles to save this issue. So far though I am pretty happy with the result even with the issues of the decals.

Ryan :)

20200806_190343

20200806_190316

• Like 1