Showcase Day, Duxford 040820

Hi

I spent a very pleasant day at Duxford today.

The flying display lasted from about 13.30 until about 16.00, but there were lots of interesting visiting types.

DSC-4153.jpg

DSC-4154.jpg

DSC-4166.jpg

DSC-4171.jpg

DSC-4178.jpg

DSC-4193.jpg

DSC-4207.jpg

DSC-4211.jpg

DSC-4226.jpg

DSC-4233.jpg

DSC-4274.jpg

DSC-4290.jpg

DSC-4331.jpg

DSC-4334.jpg

DSC-4393.jpg

DSC-4402.jpg

DSC-4415.jpg

DSC-4460.jpg

DSC-4471.jpg

DSC-4507.jpg

DSC-4514.jpg

DSC-4523.jpg

DSC-4539.jpg

DSC-4553.jpg

DSC-4571.jpg

DSC-4592.jpg

DSC-4614.jpg

DSC-4643.jpg

DSC-4668.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Gorgeous! I think my favourites are the Spitfire and Hurricane pair and the two of them individually.

Considering how difficult photography is at Duxford I think the shots have come out very well. Thanks for sharing these.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Gorgeous! I think my favourites are the Spitfire and Hurricane pair and the two of them individually.

Considering how difficult photography is at Duxford I think the shots have come out very well. Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks for the kind words, Latinbear. Duxford is indeed one of the more challenging photography locations, so the absence of sunshine was welcome today!

It was awesome to have the two most iconic fighters of WW2 holding in front of me! I remembered to shoot some video of them as well.

40 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Brilliant pictures, there is always something more to see the more you look. Lovely stuff, what an excellent day out.

Thanks very much, Parabat. It was a great day out and because there weren't too many visitors, it was possible to keep a safe distance from others. 

9 hours ago, JohnT said:

Cracking photos and thanks for showing.

Thanks for the kind words, John. I'm pleased that you liked them. 

4 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Nice collection! Some of the last photos of the twin Sea Fury, too. 😢

Hi Paul. Thanks very much. I hope that the Sea Fury can be repaired. At least the injuries are reported to be minor.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/gallery/duxford-seafury-plane-crash-pictures-18716287

• Like 1

Great pics. Wish I had known about this. Would have made the journey up to it.

Haven't seen Spitfire MT928 for a while. Where has it been?

RE WG655, it seems to like being wrapped around trees. It has previous with this sort of action sadly. Doesn't look too good does it. glad the crew are OK.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Great pics. Wish I had known about this. Would have made the journey up to it.

Haven't seen Spitfire MT928 for a while. Where has it been?

RE WG655, it seems to like being wrapped around trees. It has previous with this sort of action sadly. Doesn't look too good does it. glad the crew are OK.

Hi Paul. Thanks. I'm pleased you liked the pictures. There is another showcase day on August 18th, if you're interested. 

Unfortunately, I don't know the history of the Spitfire. 

Hopefully, the Sea Fury will be back in the air at some point. 

Leigh, you certainly are making the most of the limited airshow opportunities on offer this year! Another fantastic selection. Like others have said, the Hurricane/Spiftire pairing is my favorite. Also good to see the Sea Fury before its unfortunate accident days later.

All the best, kind regards

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Leigh, you certainly are making the most of the limited airshow opportunities on offer this year! Another fantastic selection. Like others have said, the Hurricane/Spiftire pairing is my favorite. Also good to see the Sea Fury before its unfortunate accident days later.

All the best, kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark. I hope that you are keeping well. You're too kind! I was chuffed that the Spitfire and Hurricane were holding right in front of me - oh that wonderful sound! I even remembered to shoot some video on my phone, although the wind mostly drowns out the Merlins! 

The Sea Fury actually came to grief shortly after the flying ended at the Showcase Day.

I'm certainly trying to make the most of the limited opportunities! I'm going to the next Showcase Day and will be taking my 81 year-old (Red Arrows fan) mother to the September show!

I'm keeping my eye on the Shuttleworth Collection website because I'm guessing that they will convert their remaining shows to drive-in shows.

• Like 1

Excellent pics and thanks for sharing. I`m setting off today for a visit to Duxford tomorrow,.....really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Excellent pics and thanks for sharing. I`m setting off today for a visit to Duxford tomorrow,.....really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony. I hope you're well. Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased you enjoyed them. 

I hope that you have a good time at Duxford. For your information, they ask that face coverings are worn inside, or when it is not possible to socially distance. 

• Like 1

Very glad to read that the Sea Fury crew only received minor injuries. It's an amazing outcome when you see that the airframe appears to be separated at the front cockpit section. It could have been a great deal worse.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending information.
  • Like 1

Fantastic pictures - and a great reminder that in real life you can’t see every panel outlined in black 😀

I didn’t realise shows were happening, would have lived to have gone to this one.  Better keep an eye out for more.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3

I think I saw two Chipmunks...a red one and a silver one?  Any more of those?

The De Havilland birds are so beautiful!   Nice to see a Storch in the mix.  What is the other German plane?  Bucker Bestmann?

Great pictures.  Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nheather said:

Fantastic pictures - and a great reminder that in real life you can’t see every panel outlined in black 😀

I didn’t realise shows were happening, would have lived to have gone to this one.  Better keep an eye out for more.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for the kind words, Nigel. I enjoy these events because they are much more relaxed than the air shows. Despite my prime location, the closest person to me was about 8 feet away.

I must confess that I was thinking the same about invisible panel lines!

The next Showcase Day is August 19th. 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/showcase-days

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I think I saw two Chipmunks...a red one and a silver one?  Any more of those?

The De Havilland birds are so beautiful!   Nice to see a Storch in the mix.  What is the other German plane?  Bucker Bestmann?

Great pictures.  Thanks!

Hi John. Thanks for the kind words. There seemed to be a bit of a de Havilland fly-in as well as the Showcase Day!

The German aircraft is a Bücker Bü 181 Bestmann G-TPWX/TP+WX. Although, I believe it is actually an Egyptian licence-built Heliopolis Gomhouria 181 MK.6 adorned in a German scheme!

I'll revisit my pictures to see if I have any more images of the Chipmunks and post them this evening.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Thank you for posting those great photos, brings back great memories. They look really professional. Having moved to NZ, my regular trips to Duxford and Old Warden is one of the things I miss.

Hi Colin. Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm pleased to have brought back some good memories!

On 8/6/2020 at 10:38 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Hi Tony. I hope you're well. Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased you enjoyed them. 

I hope that you have a good time at Duxford. For your information, they ask that face coverings are worn inside, or when it is not possible to socially distance. 

Thanks,.... yeah all covered up,..... no worries and had a splendid day with plenty of flying to watch. Enjoyed my fix,..... I usually try to get down every 2 years or so.

• Like 2

Glad you had a great time Tony, I visit about the same frequency too. Hope the journeys were not too uncomfortable fella.

Some lovely machines there @Alpha Delta 210thanks for posting, is that a DH90 Dragonfly?  Ooooooooo that is gorgeous.  Can I ask what the small blue and silver aircraft is not the Moth but the one with the 5 cylinder radial engine please? What an interesting looking machine.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2