Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I

Hi all, I'm used to buliding things that stay firmly on the ground, but I recently made an exception for a rather iconic aircraft. I built this for the recent Spitfire GB and although there are a few pics in the gallery there it wasn't 100% finished. For one thing, it still needed a flat coat and I also wanted to rig the antennae. This was the first aircraft I ever built, not counting the ones I built 40 years ago which always fell apart rather quickly and didn't have a spot of paint on them. 

So, although I don't build aircraft I do like to read about them, and having just finished The Big Show a while back I thought that would be a good reason to join the Spitfire GB and have a go at one. 

I chose this Tamiya kit because I suspected it would give me a hassle free experience and it did. The kit almost builds itself. I had fun building it, but if I ever build another one it will not have a camo scheme! The masking... wow. Anyway, I'll confess to now having put a 1/24 scale Spit on my wishlist 🙂 

OK so here are some pictures of the completed Spitfire. Knowing next to nothing about building aircraft I just followed the numbers as well as I could, only thing I added are the antennae which I rigged up from EZ-Line. . You can build three versions from the kit, I chose the "A" version which is P9495 DW-K No. 610 Squadron, Battle of Britain, 1940. 

Build log here if you're interested: 

20200804200349-044fcd18-me.jpg

20200804200350-a801833f-me.jpg

20200804200350-55704c92-me.jpg

20200804200352-dffe2442-me.jpg

20200804200352-e0a21b1e-me.jpg

20200804200350-acbbf56f-me.jpg

20200804200353-f816c47b-me.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

God, I'm old!  I made the Revell 1/32 version of this aircraft (DW-K) when it first came out.  My dad painted the camouflage whilst I was in bed.  It was really good, but I wasn't happy - it was MY model.  Then I went and put the tail transfers round the wrong way - trailing red!  Doh!

Also made the Me 109F - now that was good AND a team effort!

Happy days and thanks for the reminder!

Edited by Alpha Juliet
Detail incorrect
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For someone who rarely builds airplane models, you sure do beautiful work! And there's no complaints about your photography either.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

For someone who rarely builds airplane models, you sure do beautiful work! And there's no complaints about your photography either.

Thanks, I took the pictures in the evening light which I'd never done before. It works with the Spitfire.