PE-2 winter camo

lesthegringo

All, I'd like to do something a little different with the PE-2 I'm building, really to add a bit of interest to a build. The russian tanks used to use winter camo by overspraying the existing colours with white , and I believe that the aircraft were treated the same. The paints used on the tanks would not have been applied in ideal conditions so would peel off in addition to the rigours of use, and I think it would be an interesting scheme for an aircraft. It's a bit like the D-Day invasions stripes being applied to allied aircraft with a broom due to lack of resources, maybe there were unofficial in-field jobs done with no clear documentation or control

I know it's my model and I can build and paint it to my tastes but if there are actually cases where this happened it would be preferable to use that as a guide. So were these aircraft ever treated to this?

Cheers

Les

Hi,

this winter camo is vey likely. You can have a look here

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/winter/winter.html

and here

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/quickguide/quickguide.htm

You can research photos of Pe-2 on Google, I'm sure that some image of winter camouflaged one will emerge. 

Regards

Massimo

• Like 1

Larger markings, especially national ones, would typically be avoided during application of white.

You can notice this in photos by rough edges and patches of remaining underlying cammo around the stars.

Smaller markings (i.e. stencils), and sometimes even the tactical numbers, were more likely to be over-painted in a haste.

Edited by warhawk