Caudron G4 Cooper State Models 1/48

I needed to do something worthy of being shut in so I took the one kit that intimidated me the most and this was it.  I just completed this and I am very very happy with the kit from Copper State, it just an excellent kit!  Not that this was a simple or easy build - you clearly get your modeling money out of it.  I could not get the decals on the roundels to lay down so I took them off and used my circle cutter to mask and spray them (I love that circle cutter).  Also, the instructions are lacking in two particular areas, 1) I had some trouble with color call outs for some parts and 2) the rigging diagram for under the wing is lacking.  The latter might be something the Copper State could post online as there were references here on Britmodeller when the kit was first announced that helped a bit on this.  Anyway, you would think you might need a jig to get this all squared up but the kit is designed such that the struts going through the nacelles and cockpit provide an excellent and very solid connection between the two wings and also the booms are solidly connected.  This is just an excellently designed kit comes with an extensive set of photo etch.   Odd with all that photo etch there are no seat belts, which would have helped.  I could use elastic thread through out the build and did not need to pin any of the struts, they were easy to get into place and solidly connected.   Aftermarket, other than Eduard seatbelts is Albion Alloys Brass Tube for turnbuckles (.4MM OD/.2MM ID) with worked very good.  Love that stuff as you can score and cut it with an exacto knife without crushing the tube.  I added wire pushrods to the engines and rigged with Uschi standard rigging and threaded the top wing connection with 2lb test fishing line.  

I realize it is not perfect - it is still only a model but it looks cool on the mantel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 39

28 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

I realize it is not perfect

Really!? I think it is - it definitely got a 'WOW' from me.

It's certainly worthy of more than four photos - some more close up pics would be great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Really!? I think it is - it definitely got a 'WOW' from me.

That makes two of us. I was too busy admiring how well it's built to take time to find faults and even if I had, I doubt I'd have found any. I do like the rigging!

• Thanks 1

Superb model, well worth spending lock down time to build. Tremendous work on all that rigging, great painted roundels too. I've enjoyed seeing this unusual aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Whoop....  I think it is more than perfect. The rigging job must be a nightmare. The kind of weathering looks very nice especially the fabric. All in all a superb model. 
Cheers 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 11:23 PM, Andy Dyck said:

The kind of weathering looks very nice especially the fabric. All in all a superb model. 
Cheers 

Andy 

Thanks, the fabric was an experiment of sorts.  The plastic molding is good enough that you can see where the underling wood would have been.  To get the effect I shot the wing with tan then masked off the areas in between the wood and shot it with a brown.  Then removed tape and overshot with a thinned coat of raydome tan.  In retrospect this is backwards as it would have been easier to shoot everything with brown and then tape it off the wood and shoot the wing with the raydome and then overshoot with the thinned raydome.  It would have been easier because I could have easily cut uniform strips of tape to cover the wood color.  Next time.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the description. Once I used from AK interactive the „ clear doped linen“ set. I used it on my SG -38 in 1/48. I posted it here some time ago. This set maybe interesting for your next project.

Cheers

Andy 

Edited by Andy Dyck
  • Thanks 1