FWIW I think the Blenheim is particularly off. The new Airfix Beaufighter pretty much snap-fits together and the other (smaller) new ones I’ve built have fitted really well. I guess the smaller kits don’t have the innovative multi-part engineering for different noses etc?

On 10/6/2020 at 7:38 AM, Hamden said:

This one is certainly fighting you all the way, you will over come and a superb replica will be the result!

Stay safe           Roger

She certainly is fighting me. Nearly went in the bin tonight. 😱

On 10/6/2020 at 9:19 AM, perdu said:

Does...

👌 thought so. 😇

On 10/6/2020 at 9:34 AM, AdrianMF said:

I think you've run into the same problems that pretty much all of us have had with this one - the filing and shimming seem to have done the job though. The FROG kit is still my favourite Blenheim to build - everything fits!

Regards,

Adrian

I’m glad I’m not the only one. The fit is pretty crappy and right where it’s most obvious. Even worse I had to scratch build some of my canopy too. Grrr I must get paint on this quick.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:58 AM, CedB said:

Yep, what Adrian said :( 

These new tool Airfix kits have such small tolerances that even the slightest molding error throws everything out. I made sure there were none of those lumpy bits that you can only see from some angles but my MkI was still gappy:

22237808502_2703e6eca5_z.jpg

and the MkIV benefitted from the experience:

24426527912_ef6e6afa35_z.jpg

Looks like you've sorted it though Johnny, good job :) 

You’re not wrong old bean. Your build was before I started visiting BM so I hadn’t seen it. She turned out great. Hopefully this one will turn out as good. 🤞

On 10/6/2020 at 4:44 PM, giemme said:

That's Gap and Shim fest there, Johnny! :frantic:You sorted it impeccably, though :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G but don’t speak too soon. It’s been a battle.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

She certainly is fighting me. Nearly went in the bin tonight. 😱

Sorry to here this, the nice thing about plastic is it never expires. If you need to shelve it for awhile we aren't going anywhere. If its any consolation I'm learning a lot for my eventual build. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Hey. Thanks for all the kind words. More fighting with this kit.

The Shims got cut back and a little bit of PPP added.

50439131477_d51103e81d_b.jpg

And the business end.

50439131457_52d1b8a886_b.jpg

Not too bad. (Or so I thought)🤔

All sanded as best in could.

50438261718_47b159d4e5_b.jpg

Time for a spot of green for the internal canopy.

😱😱😱😱😱 Im sure somehow the green has made it worse.

50439131422_ca26a4c23c_b.jpg

Excuse the blurred pic but I was in a bit of a foul mood. 🙈

50438958521_457308434e_b.jpg

I think that’s the last time I try and fill stuff with Krystal Klear. It’s like a horrible rubber that just isn’t meant to be used this way. (All my fault) and to top it all off we lose Eddie. 😭😭😭

50438261713_9c3f72e1d2_c.jpg

One of my heroes, a true legend.
With all the bad vibes I actually had to put this to one side as I was so down about how it had turned out I was headed towards the bin.  Temper curbed I came back today. 🧐

I figured if I use mr Surfacer and then lightly sand in stages I might get something back.

50438958566_09f5613c64_b.jpg

Not as bad as it was at least.

After a few hours of thin layer upon thin layer of Mr S and some re-scribing I managed to get her to a point where I could do a prime test. By no means perfect but I’m confident I can get her looking ok. 🤨🧐

50438958531_cecf88bd4f_b.jpg

And the other side.

Once again not too bad. I think this has decided my colour scheme. I figure camo will mask a lot of errors. 🤞🤞

50438958546_681744df17_b.jpg

More soon.

Thanks for popping by.

Take care and as always. Happy modelling.

(what a week) 🤨🤪

Johnny

• Like 11

A good, no great catch Johnny!

I have only one piece of commentary, leading edge seams, I can still see 'em and by now you'd normally have breezed that and begun harder stuff.

I often get sidetracked and sometimes miss the tracks for ever if I am bogged down.

( I know, Bill doesn't get stuck in to friend's brown and green aeroplanes but...)

• Thanks 1

Nice work so far.

Hasn’t been a good year for musicians, never a Van Halen fan as I only got into Rock/metal in the eighties. But COVID claimed Dave Greenfield the keyboard player in the Stranglers; one of my music heroes ( even though there aren’t any anymore) so I know how you feel.

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear about the 'bad humour' Johnny, but I know how you feel - seems like a number of us have mojo problems at the moment :( 

Great save on the canopy - rescued!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

A good, no great catch Johnny!

I have only one piece of commentary, leading edge seams, I can still see 'em and by now you'd normally have breezed that and begun harder stuff.

I often get sidetracked and sometimes miss the tracks for ever if I am bogged down.

( I know, Bill doesn't get stuck in to friend's brown and green aeroplanes but...)

I gave them a cursory whaft. I’ll sort them out. 😍

10 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice work so far.

Hasn’t been a good year for musicians, never a Van Halen fan as I only got into Rock/metal in the eighties. But COVID claimed Dave Greenfield the keyboard player in the Stranglers; one of my music heroes ( even though there aren’t any anymore) so I know how you feel.

The Stranglers are an amazing band. Yes we’re loosing too many heroes. 😔

and thanks . 😇

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry to hear about the 'bad humour' Johnny, but I know how you feel - seems like a number of us have mojo problems at the moment :( 

Great save on the canopy - rescued!

Thanks Ced. It’s not so bad just a crappy day is all. 

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Definitely good, I'd say :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G . Onward and upward.

• Like 4

Well I unmasked the hind and the results were 50:50 Pretty much the same level of masking but the foil was way harder to remove. So tied, easier to apply and cut the foil but easier to remove the Tamiya tape. Ho hum.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 8:55 PM, Lewis95 said:

Blimey. That plane must of hit some heavy flak! 

Great job with the shims. I really must invest in so plasticard.

Thanks yes deffo get some it’s invaluable.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, Marklo said:

Well I unmasked the hind and the results were 50:50 Pretty much the same level of masking but the foil was way harder to remove. So tied, easier to apply and cut the foil but easier to remove the Tamiya tape. Ho hum.

I like the easier to remove option. I need to drop in on the hind. She was looking great last Time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have turned a corner. Well a 180 for sure. I was still in the doldrums about this one. I wasn’t happy with the canopy so I added some strip cards to sharpen it up a bit.

50452280546_fb6bc7c699_b.jpg 50452279076_f33e4a9a0c_b.jpg

I also added the belly guns and hid the wobbles under more card framing.

50452436987_127f4abc89_b.jpg

Some looked good and some not so much.

I popped a spot of primer on to make myself feel better.

50451475168_b148229ce2_b.jpg 50452346747_d125534ea6_b.jpg

No good. 😔 it’s one of those thing winners the more I fiddle the worse it got. 
I was more worried about the TETi had used to stick the outer frame had wicked under the masks and ruined the clear parts. Not wanting to spend more time on something that I thought might be wrecked I put her to one side and slept on it. This morning I decided to remove some masking to see the damage of any.

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

50452446457_c54f79e0d4_b.jpg

luckily nothing has crept under which gave me a bit of a boost. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do about the engines so I spent s bit of time going through @CedB’s build he had shared and remembered how much fun you can have building models. It gave me a real mono boost. I decided to stop dwelling on this tiny little bit and just bloody get on with it.

the tail was on.

50451580843_f6002c3bfd_b.jpg 50452181276_5c0e07c840_b.jpg

50452181301_9e1e8e95e6_b.jpg

The flaps are on.

50451580728_8bcd2ea097_b.jpg

I sanded back the canopy so it didn’t stick out so much and to be fair I was more happy with it.

I cleared up the bench.

50451575313_6336e272af_b.jpg

And started on the engines.

50452446497_063d880c3f_b.jpg

More layer on. Movie night with the fam.

I don’t know where it came from bud proper mojo restoration at this point.

🥳🥳😀😀😀🙌🙌🙌

thanks for dropping in.

More in a few hours.

Johnny.

• Like 11

Sorry about the thread split. We have her introducing our son to Terminator over the weekend. One on Friday and T2 tonight. He loved both. 👍🔥

Any hop back to business and the mojo restoration. 🥳 we have engine parts and hollowed out exhausts.

50451565728_66afe7aa68_b.jpg

Parts fitted and even more bits. Why each ring is split into three I’ll never know. 🙈

50452270931_cfc1389de6_b.jpg

The main pure shade got done. Under side.

50451475198_2cf8a6fde7_b.jpg

And top.

50451475153_fbd53e01e0_b.jpg 50452346737_241a45872f_b.jpg

Excuse the photo burst but I love this now I’m painting and moving forwards.  It is my favourite bit.

50451580698_1f8d7f926d_b.jpg

I used my stipple masks to add variation.

50451581153_b1ac5a4435_b.jpg 50452181291_5769b035b6_b.jpg

Then got the sky loaded to pain the under side. I’m going for a proper indulged pre shade fest and I don’t care. 🙌🥳😇🔥

Pass one.

50452280601_3f926a0003_b.jpg

And second pass with a better pic this morning. 🤩

50459093891_d03d427ddb_b.jpg

gloss next then brown and green. 🙃🧐😀 hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend. 
more during the week.

Johnny.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well fought Johnny, she is getting there slowly.

Sad news about Eddie though, some fine guitarist.

Simon.

Thanks. A terrible loss. Cancer can go and do one. 😔

2 hours ago, giemme said:

The added frames look the biz, Johnny! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Not flaps. Those are ailerons. Flaps are inboard on the underside of the trailing edge.

Chris

Gah! I should know this by now. They look like flappy things. Thanks for the call out. 🤩

• Like 3

On your exhaust collector rings, you can sand off the nibs that I have red circled. These are little intake pipes, used to supply additional heating air, for use during the frigid Canadian winters. The few restored Blenheim airframes in the world are all from Canada and were built in Canada by Fairchild. As Airfix used one of these airframes to make their molds, they just added some of those Canuck lumps and bumps.

50454624092_475f302ed7_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

On your exhaust collector rings, you can sand off the nibs that I have red circled. These are little intake pipes, used to supply additional heating air, for use during the frigid Canadian winters. The few restored Blenheim airframes in the world are all from Canada and were built in Canada by Fairchild. As Airfix used one of these airframes to make their molds, they just added some of those Canuck lumps and bumps.

Chris

I didn’t paint that yet so thanks for the info. Will do. 👍

Glad the Mojo has returned with painting. Don’t forget, if there is a canopy catastrophe basking under the masking you can always make a tarpaulin to throw over it...

Ced doesn’t have that option when they are flying across the ceiling!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Nice to see the paint going on!

One small observation if I may the ailerons should be one up and one down usually only a slight deflection each way.

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I spent a bit of time going through @CedB’s build he had shared and remembered how much fun you can have building models

Pleased it's helped Johnny and has made me realise that I need to…

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

…stop dwelling on this tiny little bit and just bloody get on with it.

Great advice! 

I'm going to get to the bench this morning and try that! :D 

Blenheim looking smart too, as usual.

Now that the boy has been introduced to Terminator you'll be able to ride out the awkward teenage years with the addition of the classic phrase…

'Tidy your room if you want to live'

'Put your 'phone down, if you want to live'

Etcetera.

Of course you need to straighten your back and stand straight.

Red eyes help too.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Parts fitted and even more bits. Why each ring is split into three I’ll never know. 🙈

50452270931_cfc1389de6_b.jpg

They did the same with their Beaufighter - what a faff!

Great plastic wrangling Johnny!

Edge

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

Thanks again for this Chris. I just had a look. Is it just the nibs or the little bump behind the miss too? 

Johnny

• Like 1