I have just put my tentacle on the nagging doubt of you doing four threads at once. I am going to have to work four times as hard to wreak havoc! Never mind, needs must when the Devil vomits in your breakfast bowl and at least I have out Scottish friend to assist me.

Long Suffering of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

On 8/10/2020 at 8:35 AM, giemme said:

Nice start on this one too, John :clap: 

And many thanks to @hendie for the sprue/gate insight, very comprehensive :thanks:

Ciao

Thanks. 😇

On 8/10/2020 at 9:12 AM, AdrianMF said:

Nice going so far doctor, and thanks @hendie for the plastic moulding insights.

Talking of mould design, what struck me is the proliferation of cooling gills. I presume the ones on the fighter sprue/runner/tree/frame are without the little cut-out near the top to clear the box moulded on the nacelle. The cutout/box seems to be yet another Bolingbroke/restoration feature that Airfix picked up, along with the sticky-out bits at the front of the exhausts. You may care to wave a sanding stick at them if they bother you. Or not! (I missed the cutout/box when I made mine but I smoothed out the exhaust)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for the heads up.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:15 AM, Heather Kay said:

There are alternatives for gills open and closed, plus gills with cutouts to accommodate the radar aerials. It’s important to read the instructions carefully and not use the wrong ones for what you’re building. Ask me how I know this! 

Thanks for the info. 🤩

On 8/10/2020 at 10:33 AM, corsaircorp said:

The 4th of Dr Spad...

Now, the 1/48 one that lay abandonned on the shelf of my LHS is blinking its eyes on me....

Great start Dear Spad. 

And thanks to Dr @hendie moulding of plastic is a bit less of a witchcraft thing...

Amazing on this thread is'nt it ???

So, I'm at the bar with my cousin and the usual suspects...

Mmmmh Where's the @Martian ??

CC

Thanks CC multi kits as it happens is a good thing.

On 8/12/2020 at 8:21 PM, Spookytooth said:

OK John I am in, muli build here we go...

Simon (Trying to keep cool).

Thanks!! 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, Martian said:

I have just put my tentacle on the nagging doubt of you doing four threads at once. I am going to have to work four times as hard to wreak havoc! Never mind, needs must when the Devil vomits in your breakfast bowl and at least I have out Scottish friend to assist me.

Long Suffering of Mars 👽

No need to worry about this build. Maybe the Scottish curse has done its job. 😔

read on.

• Like 4

Morning. Bit of a bitter sweet day.

I was so excited about doing som plastic fantastic this morning after catching up with BM Friday evening.

I jumped at the chance At some desk time.

lets do this in order.

Ejector marks gone and legs in place.

50228713742_3d952d8fb5_b.jpg

Not sure what collour these Tanks should be so wobbled about glueing then remembered it was a fun build

50228493181_72de747506_b.jpg

and threw caution to the wind.🤩

50227850998_1c4acdac1f_b.jpg

I couldn’t move on without paint so on with the office.

50227850828_a6283cfe1a_b.jpg

That seat is great.  😍

The PE parts come in now.

I have to sand this bit.

50228713707_ce09845fee_b.jpg

Easy!!!

50228493161_5bcbf3dd19_b.jpg

All the bits I could got glued and I fixed the control column area with plasticard.

50228713722_3f8b0483e6_b.jpg

Great detail at 1/72z

This is unfortunately where it all started going bad. I checked the clear parts as I might need to add them early.

Let’s see if this video works?

Worth a shot. 
mid not here’s a pic.

50228493166_a4fdf2e5e1_b.jpg

My canopy has moons. 🌙🌙

it’s deep in the plastic so I wasn’t sure what to do.

I sanded it a bit but nothing so I went at it with a blade. Very gently. 

50228493381_160f55cdcf_b.jpg

I eventually got to the moon and suddenly there was a light.

sanding pads bought in.

this it the high.

50228713427_2ea8fe3ff4_b.jpg

And after going through the motions we are here.

50228713452_ae736bd930_b.jpg

Wonderful. I was super happy!! 🤩🤩

Then remembered the other half. Lighting couldn’t strike twice? 😔😔😔😖

50227850793_1e95943df9_b.jpg

It could and worse. 😖 I considered leaving it but after doing well with the other I went at it.

for those with a nervous disposition look away. 🥺😫😩😤

50228713487_c4f48136c2_b.jpg

Not only could I not get into the corner as it was so small the canopy cracked in half. 😢 not to be defeated I cut the whole bottom section off and tried to sand clear. Which it almost is but the blastocyst is so thin it’s like rubber. 😰😥😱😭😢😤😡

Totally disheartened and empty of any of the mornings mojo I put all the bits in the box and send an enquiry to Airfix. One can only hope.

I have never had a build actually stall before. 😨 

Luckily I have three more I’m working on.

Totally not in the mood now. Maybe tonight. 🙃

Sorry for the news but this build I guess is on hold until I find either a replacement from Airfix or some other way around the problem. Is there an after market canopy? I had a quick look but couldn’t find one.

Take care and hope your weekend is going better than mine.

Johnny.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 13

I can't quite make out the entity of the damage there, Johnny - if you can clean up and take to proper shine both parts, though, I think gluing them back together with TET is worth a try, followed by a bath in Future or Aqua Gloss or the likes (although Aqua Gloss is also good as micro filler, so I strongly vouch for that)

Ciao 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

No need to worry about this build. Maybe the Scottish curse has done its job. 😔

read on.

As per usual, I didn't do it, I wasn't there. :innocent: Neither did our Scottish friend who just muttered something about "Is this a sore nose I see before me". I don't think he was referring to himself.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I can't quite make out the entity of the damage there, Johnny - if you can clean up and take to proper shine both parts, though, I think gluing them back together with TET is worth a try, followed by a bath in Future or Aqua Gloss or the likes (although Aqua Gloss is also good as micro filler, so I strongly vouch for that)

Ciao 

I did kind of clean it up but there is so little plastic left it’s like rubber.

I’ll move on to other kits and see if they get in touch.  If not I guess I could scratch something?

1 hour ago, Martian said:

As per usual, I didn't do it, I wasn't there. :innocent: Neither did our Scottish friend who just muttered something about "Is this a sore nose I see before me". I don't think he was referring to himself.

Martian 👽

Ha! His nose fell off. Initially I didn’t see the comedy. Every cloud. 🤣

I have use gators grip to glue two of the three broken canopy sections. 

50228315353_a28a1cab78_b.jpg

maybe I could scratch a pane of glass. Or should that be pain of glass?

🤪🤣

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

I did kind of clean it up but there is so little plastic left it’s like rubber.

Aaaargh!- That is soft :frantic: Way too soft, I'm afraid - sorry John, I ran out of ideas :shrug: 

Ciao

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I find either a replacement from Airfix or some other way around the problem. Is

Since it is mostly flat panels you could use the broken one as a template to cut one out of clear plastic sheet. If you look through recyclable clear containers you should find something of a suitable thickness. Take a look at the windscreen that @Moa is doing for his oversized Fokker ( somehow that sounds wrong)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Aaaargh!- That is soft :frantic: Way too soft, I'm afraid - sorry John, I ran out of ideas :shrug: 

Ciao

You never run out of ideas. Must be the heat. 🤪🔥

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Since it is mostly flat panels you could use the broken one as a template to cut one out of clear plastic sheet. If you look through recyclable clear containers you should find something of a suitable thickness. Take a look at the windscreen that @Moa is doing for his oversized Fokker ( somehow that sounds wrong)

I kind of though of this as I have something in stock that would suit. 🤔

• Like 2

If you cover the piece with masking tape and pencil mark the seams, you should be able to transfer this to clear sheet and just cut score the joints and fold, allowing for the thickness of the sheet of course.

• Thanks 1

Ok decision made over a dog walk. This gave me a bit of a mojo boost.

50229625356_28516108ae_b.jpg

Zoom into the weather vane. 🤗 

Zero agrees. 🤩🐺

50229843567_dbd8c5c905_b.jpg

Here is the plan. I glued the snapped bit but it’s less than perfect.

50229624706_33ce26d4ed_b.jpg

The white line in the middle pane is the join. 🙈 I can maybe live with it but it will bother me. As @Marklo mentioned I have some clear plastic in stock. This stuff from a “Brassin” box is perfect.

50229843557_8d82f15de4_b.jpg

It’s almost perfect.

50229624711_eb6de7db53_b.jpg

I can fit the glazing to the fuselage section and build from there. 🙂 If I’m still not happy (I’m not happy) with the front snapped glazing I can fit a new panel the same way. I’ll give Airfix a bit of time. If I hear nothing I’ll move to plan B.

At least I have some weather vane mojo and a few other builds on the job. 🤩

Johnny.

• Like 14

Gaaaah! Looks like you have a solution though if Airfix don't come up with a spare…

Videos worked well Johnny - what did you say in the first one? Anglo-Saxon was it? :D 

• Haha 1

Clear parts is something that I'm not overly impressed with on Airfix kits. Even on the 1/48 kit, the frames are incredibly heavy and protrude out unnecessarily. Sanding them off looks like a dam good idea so I reckon your woes will be a blessing in disguise :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

You never run out of ideas. Must be the heat. 🤪🔥

Yeah sure, I'll go with that, thank you :D

It looks like you'll manage it, anyway :clap:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Gaaaah! Looks like you have a solution though if Airfix don't come up with a spare…

Videos worked well Johnny - what did you say in the first one? Anglo-Saxon was it? :D 

Thanks Mr B. That was Radio 6. Mark Radcliffe I think.  Yes I think she’s fixable. I was just angry that I’d broken it. I actually enjoy fixing old duff kits but when it’s meant to be good but isn’t.  That got me grumpy. 

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Sorry to see your woes, I'm sure all will come good in the end with your magical skills!

Roger

Too kind. 🧐

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good to see the fix, Zero looks like a happy dog. I love the weather vane, now I need one. 

I need one too. And thanks. Zero says. Arff! 😇

45 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Clear parts is something that I'm not overly impressed with on Airfix kits. Even on the 1/48 kit, the frames are incredibly heavy and protrude out unnecessarily. Sanding them off looks like a dam good idea so I reckon your woes will be a blessing in disguise :)

I actually liked the part. Just not the ‘orrible marks. But Thankyou for the support.

3 minutes ago, giemme said:

Yeah sure, I'll go with that, thank you :D

It looks like you'll manage it, anyway :clap:

Ciao 

🤣🤣🤣 Thanks Giorgio.

• Like 1

I've been following. I just finished this kit last week. Might I recommend getting the Eduard canopy and gun turret masks. They fit fairly well. Also, SBS Model makes resin replacement props. They are a vast improvement of the kit supplied. Unfortunately the blades are cast separate from the hubs.

Be warned, there are a number of fit issues. The main being the completed nose section to the fuselage. A very noticeable gap between the two. I tried getting the complex nose glazing to fit properly. I screwed it up so badly, I bought another kit for replacements. The wings to fuselage fit also could have been better. The kit supplied antenna mast is instructed to be blunt mounted to the fuselage. Who knows why Airfix designed it this way? Not an ideal situation. I added a pin to it and drilled a corresponding hole into the fuselage to insert it. For me it was a somewhat difficult build, especially the completed nose section and getting a decent fit to the fuselage. I'll post some shots of the finished model shortly. When done, it is an attractive model and I am happy with the result. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bert said:

For me it was a somewhat difficult build, especially the completed nose section and getting a decent fit to the fuselage. 

So I've read a few times. It does however allow for a IV nose.  One way to avoid that particular issue is to complete the fuselage halves beforehand.

• Thanks 1

so low and behold I got an answer 9:25 this very morning. Pretty good saying I only sent on Saturday. First off I didn’t send enough info. Box code part number etc. So after sending that back I got a reply within the hour.

“Dear Sir
Due to the unprecedented circumstances the country has found itself in and following the Government advice, our teams have been working remotely. Most departments continued to function without too much disruption but unfortunately this wasn't practical for our spares team and we had to take the decision to temporarily halt the service whilst in this uncertain period.  

We are pleased to report that we have now been able to re-open the spares department and are starting to post spares out to customers.  I'm sure you will appreciate that we have a considerable number of requests to process. Your enquiry is in our queue and we are striving to work through this backlog as efficiently as we can whilst following the covid-19 workplace guidelines. 

We request that you remain patient with us during this period and we will endeavour to process your enquiry as quickly as we can.

We apologise for the inconvenience that this may cause but are sure that you will understand that the safety of our team is paramount. We hope to return to a normal service as soon as we can.

Yours sincerely,

Hornby Hobbies Spares Department“

Not exactly ok we will we d you one tomorrow but at Least it’s positive. I’ll keep you updated. 😇

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Bert said:

I've been following. I just finished this kit last week. Might I recommend getting the Eduard canopy and gun turret masks. They fit fairly well. Also, SBS Model makes resin replacement props. They are a vast improvement of the kit supplied. Unfortunately the blades are cast separate from the hubs.

Be warned, there are a number of fit issues. The main being the completed nose section to the fuselage. A very noticeable gap between the two. I tried getting the complex nose glazing to fit properly. I screwed it up so badly, I bought another kit for replacements. The wings to fuselage fit also could have been better. The kit supplied antenna mast is instructed to be blunt mounted to the fuselage. Who knows why Airfix designed it this way? Not an ideal situation. I added a pin to it and drilled a corresponding hole into the fuselage to insert it. For me it was a somewhat difficult build, especially the completed nose section and getting a decent fit to the fuselage. I'll post some shots of the finished model shortly. When done, it is an attractive model and I am happy with the result. Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I’ll keep an eye out for all those fit issues when she starts up again. I might jump in and do some bits and bobs. 🤔 did you do a WIP?

12 hours ago, alt-92 said:

So I've read a few times. It does however allow for a IV nose.  One way to avoid that particular issue is to complete the fuselage halves beforehand.

Thanks. I’ll keep this in mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bert said:

I did take some in progress photos. Unfortunately well into the build. I can post them here if you like. I don't want to hijack your thread.

Go for your life. It’s not going anywhere until I hear back from the Red box wonders. ❤️