On 8/17/2020 at 10:54 PM, Bert said:

OK Here are some in progress photos

DSC03680.jpg

She looks great. Sorry for the late reply. I’ll check out the RFI later on today. The window you have masked closest to the fuselage near the nose tip.( before the front two) is that a window? I thought that was fuselage Metal?

Thanks for sharing. 😀

Also.

Alas no news from Airfix. Sorry guys. The other builds however do continue. 🥳

Johnny

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I'm not exactly sure which one you are referring. Is it the small triangular mask? It was included in the Eduard mask sheet.

Yeah the lower Two windows in the last shot. The Tiny triangle. I was hoping that wasn’t a window. It’s going to be hard to scratch build if Airfix don’t come up with a new canopy. 😔 
EDIT. Ok so the windows on the other side aren’t windows? Is that a thing? 

37 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? 

sometimes the windows are beautifully clear

sometimes the windows are not

when they're clear you can see from the clouds to the muck

when they're not you're (cough) shoot out of luck

can't think of a reason though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, hendie said:

sometimes the windows are beautifully clear

sometimes the windows are not

when they're clear you can see from the clouds to the muck

when they're not you're (cough) shoot out of luck

can't think of a reason though.

Thanks Hendie. I don’t think I worded my question well. I actually meant painted rather than not clear (just edited The original)  It seems the canopy is sometimes painted on the port side but why I know not.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Yeah the lower Two windows in the last shot. The Tiny triangle. I was hoping that wasn’t a window. It’s going to be hard to scratch build if Airfix don’t come up with a new canopy. 😔 
EDIT. Ok so the windows on the other side aren’t windows? Is that a thing? 

"the windows on the other side aren’t windows" Those unmasked? I believe lower was metal, the other painted over. Could be for those operated in the desert, as the one I built.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bert said:

"the windows on the other side aren’t windows" Those unmasked? I believe lower was metal, the other painted over. Could be for those operated in the desert, as the one I built.

Thanks. I’m going to have to check which ones of mine (if any) get painted. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I don’t think I worded my question well. I actually meant painted rather than not clear (

sorry Johnny - that was my rather inane attempt at humor.  You asked if there was a rhyme so I made (a very poor) one up

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks Hendie. I don’t think I worded my question well. I actually meant painted rather than not clear (just edited The original)  It seems the canopy is sometimes painted on the port side but why I know not.

I think the two port windows in front of the instrument panel are always painted? There may be a difference between the fighter and bomber marks though. I don't have my reference to hand unfortunately. I do know Airfix made a mistake on the 1/48 kit, and one of the windows was incorrectly frosted. The lower port one from (bad) memory?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, hendie said:

sorry Johnny - that was my rather inane attempt at humor.  You asked if there was a rhyme so I made (a very poor) one up

Oh. Dang. Did not see that. 😱 sorry. I have just gone to check my kit and typically the painted side is my better canopy. Hurrumph. 👹

1 minute ago, Quiet Mike said:

I think the two port windows in front of the instrument panel are always painted? There may be a difference between the fighter and bomber marks though. I don't have my reference to hand unfortunately. I do know Airfix made a mistake on the 1/48 kit, and one of the windows was incorrectly frosted. The lower port one from (bad) memory?

spacer.png

Brilliant shot. I can’t thank you enough. I’ll use that as my template. 🤩🤩🤩

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

https://imodeler.com/2018/11/imodeler-review-airfix-1-48-bristol-blenheim-mk-if/

The 1/48 paint instructions maybe clearer than the 1/72 ones as well Johnny. They have nose sections without the engines in the way.

Thanks again. With hind sight I might have re thought my sanding of those clear parts. 🤔 onward and upward. 🤩🙌

59 minutes ago, hendie said:

Made me laugh !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plan B.

@Martian Wondered where the horror was in these builds. Well i

lit the sacrificial tentacled alter.

50300979417_31405aefd5_b.jpg

And got the bone saw and scalpel out for a bit of dark surgery. 👹

this was how it was glued after the snap. Not pretty.

50300979282_ac29c5b72b_b.jpg

Nothing for it but to cut it to bits. 😱
Here are the dismembered parts.

50300823291_ed35d8f31a_b.jpg

Note the two new glazing pieces Made from a Brassin Packet.

trying to figure out the best way to do this I decided I need to construct the canopy so I can make the new parts and for them into place. So the top section got glued to the good side. 
this was dry fitted to the side of the pit wall. 

50302015746_96e269b7ee_b.jpg

Then the other side got what bits were left dry fitted into place.

50302169647_4a6fd79150_b.jpg

The new lower glazing got sanded and put in place with gators grip.

50302168097_7fc0081941_b.jpg

this isn’t going too badly. 🤗 just a bit more sanding and a tidy up.

There we are. 😍😍🥰

50301327003_2087686496_b.jpg

I really couldn’t decide how to fix in place the last two panels 🤔🤔 then I figured I needed to just go with a direction and follow through so the top section got glued to the side top canopy.

50302015586_7af64fa505_b.jpg 50301328888_0bcde819a5_b.jpg

Not looking too bad. 
I then dry fitted the other office wall and the newly constructed lower glazing Section.
It looks milky but it isn’t. It’s the placcy behind.

50302017211_a741af60ce_b.jpg

see it’s all good from tother angle.

50302168092_7fc0081941_b.jpg

Just the final couple of panels to fit. 🥳🥰 Just Gotta walk through hound (of the Baskervilles) and get some dinner and I can carry on.

Sorry for the delay but I just couldn’t get anything from Airfix. Which is a horror story in its own right. 👺 More soon.

Johnny.

• Like 17

Nice work Johnny, the real terror will come the morning after you have glued this in place and the postie delivers the replacement parts from Airfix. 😱

Pesemistic of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

On 9/3/2020 at 6:27 PM, Spookytooth said:

That johnny, looks like a very nice save sir.

Enjoy the walkies...

Simon.

Thanks. Fingers crossed I can get it all together.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Agreed great looking save. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:50 PM, AdrianMF said:

Probably a bit better optically than the Airfix canopy!  And I think the Falcon vac replacement probably wouldn't fit, as the FROG kit for which it's designed is a little wider on the nose.

Regards,

Adrian

I couldn’t find a replacement one to buy. There seems to be a few of the other shaped blenheim ones but not this one. 
I’ll have a look for that one although I’m happy with the fix. At least I will be with paint. 🤗

On 9/3/2020 at 8:20 PM, Martian said:

Nice work Johnny, the real terror will come the morning after you have glued this in place and the postie delivers the replacement parts from Airfix. 😱

Pesemistic of Mars 👽

Always the way. Judging by the way I have had no response at all on my second query to Airfix I can’t see that happening. 

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Super smart fix, Johnny! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G. Hope the holiday is going well. 🤗

11 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Great save there Johnny 👍

Thanks. 🤩

• Like 2