Fairey IIIF 1/48

wellsprop

6 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Dh Dove initial CAD work

I started working on the above a few weeks or so ago... 🙃

Ooooh.  Now isnt that not one of the prettiest aeroplanes you ever saw?

A good mate of mine has an ex RNZAF one that they got flying again and she is still kitted out with all her military guize as a navigational trainer and in her original RNZAF scheme NZ1805... Expensive aeroplane to own and operate I am told...and they own an ex RNZAF Harvard too, so it must be! Him and his Dad take them to airshows as an RNZAF Historic pair...

4rcmaq.jpg

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

Well my 1/32 Fairey IIIF arrived this morning...WOW!

What a stunning kit.  Thanks so much for doing this in 1/32 scale. I know you are only doing 3, so this feels pretty special.  Iain and Mike, you guys wont be dissappointed!

Thanks again Ben, you are a talented guy and my heartfelt thanks

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

1/32 Update! 

Im no longer taking any more "orders" for the 1/32 version, all of those I've already spoken to will be getting a 32 Fairey, once I have sorted out my printer issues. 

Unfortunately I had about 2 weeks of various print failures and issues, mainly the printer freezing mid way through a print.

I've contacted anycubic and I'm waiting for a response. I'm expecting it to be an issue with the motherboard which will probably need replacing, so everything is on hold until I can get the printer working.

It seems printing for (at least) several hours a day for the past 3 months has taken its toll! 

Thanks for being patient :)

Ben

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

OK, another update! 

I think I've diagnosed the issue to be a faulty USB causing the printer to crash. I reformatted the USB and got it working for a day or two... 

Unfortunately, I can't just use any old USB. Anycubic Photons require a USB 2.0 with 8GB of memory or less. However, not every USB 2.0 works with anycubic printers, I've bought several USBs now, most aren't recognised and the only two that are recognised won't print from the USB. 

So far, I have about a 90% scrap rate and I can't continue wasting so much resin.

Anycubic have sent me a new motherboard that should arrive (not sure that will change anything, but I'll give it a go). I'm going to see if I can get a new USB from them too! 

On top of that, I've got a new, very exciting and very demanding role at work which means I'm going to be back on site and going up in aircraft...

All of that means I'm going to have less time for model making! Fingers crossed I can get a new USB soon :)

• Like 1

I misplaced my USB stick that came with my printer and tried a few USB sticks and couldn't get them to work. In the end I found the printer would recognise one of the SD cards I use in my digital camera in an adapter and that seems to work.

I don't know if this will help you out.

Mark

10 hours ago, FZ6 said:

I misplaced my USB stick that came with my printer and tried a few USB sticks and couldn't get them to work. In the end I found the printer would recognise one of the SD cards I use in my digital camera in an adapter and that seems to work.

I don't know if this will help you out.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll give that a go! 

Just a thought re: the USB sticks: it might be that the printer is only recognising USBs with certain file systems on them. I just looked at the one that came with my Phrozen printer and it's FAT32; most USBs these days use NTFS. You could try formatting one of the sticks to FAT32 and see if that works.

If all this means nothing to you, take a look here:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-format-a-usb-drive-to-fat32-on-windows-10/

- especially the bit 'How to use Windows File Explorer to format a USB drive to FAT32'.

!!! This will wipe the USB stick! Don't format anything that has data you need to keep on it !!!

I've reformatted all the USBs as FAT32 before putting any files on to print - it just won't read some USBs. I read on reddit that a few people have had the same issue 😕

Still waiting for the new motherboard to turn up... 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: new motherboard arrived and installed - printer still crashes. I'm fairly sure something has gone wrong with my USB. Back to Anycuibc's help request...

I'm thinking about buying an Elegoo Saturn anyway, so that may change things (when it's finally back in stock)!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have much luck sorting this issue? i had seen somewhere that for some obscure reason people who had problems with USB stick reading had some success when using a USB>SD card reader and then actually put the program on the SD card. Not sure why or how that impacts.

There seems to be quite a few devices that are coming onto the market in the sphere of large format resin printers.  But i think that many of them will be updated to use monochrome screens and next time round i think ill look for one of those machines.

Ive not had much printing this month at all, in resin or FDM! In fact i probably should decant the vat at this point! 

On 24/03/2021 at 16:48, Kushan_Farsight said:

Did you have much luck sorting this issue? i had seen somewhere that for some obscure reason people who had problems with USB stick reading had some success when using a USB>SD card reader and then actually put the program on the SD card. Not sure why or how that impacts.

There seems to be quite a few devices that are coming onto the market in the sphere of large format resin printers.  But i think that many of them will be updated to use monochrome screens and next time round i think ill look for one of those machines.

Ive not had much printing this month at all, in resin or FDM! In fact i probably should decant the vat at this point! 

Nothing yet :(

I installed the new motherboard (although this was an older standard Photon motherboard) and I get a USB read error (unsurprising, I'm sure the USB is scrap).

I bought a micro SD and an SD card to USB reader - however, the card reader is rubbish and doesn't even fit in the USB - so I need another!

I'm still waiting for the Elegoo Saturn to come back in stock.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Ben

I have followed this thread from a distance and have just scanned through the 7 pages but forgive me if I repeat a question, but have you thought of  the option of selling just the stl.files ?

That way u bypass issue with your printer and people can scale up or down depending on their scale preferences. 

I would be interested. 

regards 

Brian Kirwan 

• 3 months later...
On 10/07/2021 at 19:14, uprise.decals said:

I done my new laser decal URxx162 Fairey IIIF Mk.IIIB float version - 72/48/32 scale. May be it will help for somebody. )))spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I don't want to put a spanner in the works but I think the fuselage band is the wrong colour on S1474.  Red is for HMS Furious, whilst S1474 was with 824/825sqn on HMS Eagle (black band) after serving on HMS Hermes in 440 Flight (white band until 1933, green from 1934); I don't believe it was ever on HMS Furious.  This aircraft has always been a part of my family history as it was the one my father worked on whilst he was on a two year tour of the Far East on HMS Eagle during 1933-35.  I still have his photo album from the time and have a few of '74', including most of those taken during the 'pirate' hostage incident on 20 june 1934 (as published in 'The Fleet Air Arm in Camera 1912-1996 by Roger Hayward pages 50 - 53)...    So, my belief (and please correct me) is that the band should be black for option E.  I'm not sure about the blue colour of the float rudders but there is certainly a different 'tone' in the photos.

However, I'm happy to stand corrected 🙂 

Hutch

Edited by Hutch
wrong option letter and spelling error
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 11:14 AM, uprise.decals said:

I done my new laser decal URxx162 Fairey IIIF Mk.IIIB float version - 72/48/32 scale. May be it will help for somebody. )))spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I am DEFINITELY interested in a copy. Do you have a timeline and cost for the set? 1509 looks great on Jarrett’s book cover, but as on so many, will need to fabricate those complex exhaust pipes.

On 08/04/2021 at 11:38, BKirwan said:

Ben

I have followed this thread from a distance and have just scanned through the 7 pages but forgive me if I repeat a question, but have you thought of  the option of selling just the stl.files ?

That way u bypass issue with your printer and people can scale up or down depending on their scale preferences. 

I would be interested. 

regards 

Brian Kirwan 

Hi Brian, I'm not very keen on the idea of making the stl files available as it would mean I lose effective control/ownership of the files.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 21:20, Hutch said:

I don't want to put a spanner in the works but I think the fuselage band is the wrong colour on S1474.  Red is for HMS Furious, whilst S1474 was with 824/825sqn on HMS Eagle (black band) after serving on HMS Hermes in 440 Flight (white band until 1933, green from 1934); I don't believe it was ever on HMS Furious.  This aircraft has always been a part of my family history as it was the one my father worked on whilst he was on a two year tour of the Far East on HMS Eagle during 1933-35.  I still have his photo album from the time and have a few of '74', including most of those taken during the 'pirate' hostage incident on 20 june 1934 (as published in 'The Fleet Air Arm in Camera 1912-1996 by Roger Hayward pages 50 - 53)...    So, my belief (and please correct me) is that the band should be black for option E.  I'm not sure about the blue colour of the float rudders but there is certainly a different 'tone' in the photos.

However, I'm happy to stand corrected 🙂 

Hutch

Thank you so much!!! I'll change picture in guide to black stripe.

On 12/07/2021 at 22:39, SilverWings said:

I am DEFINITELY interested in a copy. Do you have a timeline and cost for the set? 1509 looks great on Jarrett’s book cover, but as on so many, will need to fabricate those complex exhaust pipes.

I need up to 1-2 weeks to produce and the price is 12 USD (72)  and 14 USD (48).

• 1 month later...

Hi, I realize I am late to the party but saw your 1/48 Fairey IIIF on Scalemates and was wondering if you had plans to print any more in the future? I would be very interested in one of the float versions. 

Warren

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very impressive work, Wellsie. I'm in the same boat (float) as Warren. Late to the party, should you ever decide to produce any more Fairey IIIF seaplane kits in 1/48, I'd be most interested. A sadly neglected type in this scale and others. Perhaps one day, against all the odds, you might even see your way to rendering the fabulous Blackburn Blackburn seaplane in 1/48. Imagine the accolades %~)) Cheers.

• Thanks 1