Fairey IIIF 1/48

wellsprop

4 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thank you sooooo much, I am really quite excited to get on in 1/32 scale please can you put me down as a definite?  I will send you a PM  later today

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony,

You've been first on the list for the 1/32 version for a while!

It's still very much work in progress, but hopefully it'll work. I suppose it's just a big 1/48 kit ;)

I've made some minor modifications to the instrument panel, previously, the instruments were extruded/padded 0.5mm from the panel itself (a scale distance of 24mm). I've now reduced this to a more realistic 0.2mm (10mm).

The detail is more subtle and, I think, more realistic.

instrument panel

IIIF-cockpit.jpg

The kit is now at "Version 2" I suppose... it's been lengthened ever so slightly to match to dimensions from the Air Publication and I've refined the instrument panel.

All the print files are now complete and I've got 3 fuselages complete and printed for both float versions (2/3 seat) and I've got 1 fuselage complete for the wheel version (2/3 seat). Getting close to completing all my current "orders" before I start the 1/32 version!

• Like 3

Hello,

Very glad to see this beauty being modelled in 1/48th scale! Can you count me in as a definite for a kit of the Floats Version (Greek/NZ/FAA)? Private Message to be sent ASAP. Thank you so much!

Edited by Dimosthenis

I received my kit from Ben last week, and it's a bloody beauty. Well packed, and only a couple of the struts had broken free from their molding block. Took it along to my local IPMS Auckland club meeting on Tuesday evening and much 'ooing and aahing' over it. Even the ex managing director of a certain now closed Kiwi kit producer was impressed....

I can see a couple of small detail changes needed for the Kiwi ones, but well within the capabilities of most modellers with some experience of working with resin kits.

I had downloaded the two 'E' manuals and have now managed to find a copy (via Ebay UK) of the Phil Jarret book Fairey IIIF - Interwar Military Workhorse (Ad Hoc Publications) - New Copy

Item price: £34.99

Seller: Aviation books (16568)

Not a cheap exercise, but well worth it to help build my collection of 'Kiwi' interwar aircraft in 1:48 scale! Much of this info will also come in handy for when Ben does the Fairey Gordon!

Highly recommended guys and gals.

Now, one big question, does anyone know from what serial number they changed to the fully metal wing and fuselage construction?

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 1

Quoting from the Fairey IIIF bible by Philip Jarrett, page 31:

The basic variants of Service IIIFs were as follows:

IIIF Mk.I - initial production version for the FAA with metal fuselage and wooden wings; Mk.II - as Mk.I but with increased load factors; Mk.IIIM - all metal version; Mk.IIIMDC - dual-control trainer variant of the Mk.IIIM; Mk.IIIB - as Mk.IIIM but strengthened for catapulting and incorporating other modifications; Mk.IIIBDC - dual-control Mk.IIIB.

Mk.IVC - composite-construction RAF version; Mk.IVCM - as Mk.IVC but with minor structural changes and increased use of metal; Mk.IVM - all-metal but for ribs in fin and rudder; Mk.IVM/A - entirely all-metal structure; Mk.IVB - to Specifications 3/31, incorporating all of the modifications in the FAA Mk,IIIBs.

Then - according to various references (that are in exemplary accord on this) - the naval IIIM series starts with S1303 and the RAF IVM counts from J9155 up, including all "K" serial numbers too. However, I would be careful using the info, not because it is inaccurate, but because I am quite sure at least some of the earlier IIIFs were late modified to the latest standard. So, if possible, you should always try tracing the individual aircraft history, though it seems to me, that from the modeller's perspective, there were no apparent external differences between the composite and all-metal versions. Not counting the obvious early Mk.I/II fin and rudder, of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• wellsprop changed the title to Fairey IIIF - 1/48 1/32 - Kits for Sale

Hi. I would like to have an IIIF with floats in Greek version. This Fairey model was used in Chile by naval aviation during the 1920s and 1930s, so I would love to build this 1/48 scale model. In accordance with the above, will it be possible to ship to Chile? Greetings from Chile. 🇨🇱 Thank you🙂

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by HunterConce
  • Like 1

@HunterConce, sorry for the delay in replying - I certainly can ship to Chile. Let me look at post cost and I'll message you :)

@Anthony in NZ, @seiran01 & @iang update on the 1/32 model. First off, it's taking longer than expected (quite a bit longer, in fact!) - apologies for this. I have, however, got many of the print files ready, I still need to rework the wings and some other components too large to fit in my printer (hence it has taken a lot longer to do). I am still working on it, albeit at a slower pace (I've had to reduce the amount of time I'm spending doing CAD and printing etc because it was taking up too much of my time!). The "good" news is that, here in the UK, we are back on lockdown for a month and it's dreadfully rainy out, so I have a lot more time sat inside with nothing to do....

@Dimosthenis, as requested, I have modified the instrument panel with recessed details. Please let me know what you think.

Fairey Cockpit Panel

Ben

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wellsprop said:

@HunterConce, sorry for the delay in replying - I certainly can ship to Chile. Let me look at post cost and I'll message you :)

@Anthony in NZ, @seiran01 & @iang update on the 1/32 model. First off, it's taking longer than expected (quite a bit longer, in fact!) - apologies for this. I have, however, got many of the print files ready, I still need to rework the wings and some other components too large to fit in my printer (hence it has taken a lot longer to do). I am still working on it, albeit at a slower pace (I've had to reduce the amount of time I'm spending doing CAD and printing etc because it was taking up too much of my time!). The "good" news is that, here in the UK, we are back on lockdown for a month and it's dreadfully rainy out, so I have a lot more time sat inside with nothing to do....

@Dimosthenis, as requested, I have modified the instrument panel with recessed details. Please let me know what you think.

Fairey Cockpit Panel

Ben

Please dont apologize, the mere fact that you are doing this for us is enough.  I just feel bad it is taking up so much of your time.  She's looking awesome what you have done so far.  Keep up the great work and dont stress over the time.  Just LOVE the fact you are doing this!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Please dont apologize, the mere fact that you are doing this for us is enough.  I just feel bad it is taking up so much of your time.  She's looking awesome what you have done so far.  Keep up the great work and dont stress over the time.  Just LOVE the fact you are doing this!

Agreed!

• Like 2

• wellsprop changed the title to Fairey IIIF 1/48

1/32 UPDATE!

All the print files are now complete, the full print time for this kit is a mammoth 120 hours! As such, it's going to be a little pricey (it's going to use a bottle of resin alone)!

You may have noticed I have removed the "1/32" bit from the title of this thread - I have decided as it is so much work, I'm not going to "advertise" the 1/32 version and I intend to only do a few. I've realised the only way I can make and print multiple different models is to stick with 1/48 (until I get a bigger printer).

I still have a few 1/48 kits complete, so the 1/32 version is still a few weeks off printing. Realistically, I think starting printing over the xmas period is practical.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wellsprop said:

1/32 UPDATE!

All the print files are now complete, the full print time for this kit is a mammoth 120 hours! As such, it's going to be a little pricey (it's going to use a bottle of resin alone)!

You may have noticed I have removed the "1/32" bit from the title of this thread - I have decided as it is so much work, I'm not going to "advertise" the 1/32 version and I intend to only do a few. I've realised the only way I can make and print multiple different models is to stick with 1/48 (until I get a bigger printer).

I still have a few 1/48 kits complete, so the 1/32 version is still a few weeks off printing. Realistically, I think starting printing over the xmas period is practical.

Well thank you very much for pushing on for us.  Feels pretty special that you are doing this for us!

Massive thank you and I guess I better start saving!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sir,

I saw your proposal for buying a sample of your nice 1/48 scale kit of the Fairey IIIF and I would be greatly interested in buying one indeed. I am quite recent in Britmodeller, a forum which I regularly visited until I decided to log in. Could you please send me the details to buy your kit. I can pay by Paypal. I hope it will be possible to get one.

Many thanks ahead and best regards,

FrenchFox.

1 hour ago, FrenchFox said:

Dear Sir,

I saw your proposal for buying a sample of your nice 1/48 scale kit of the Fairey IIIF and I would be greatly interested in buying one indeed. I am quite recent in Britmodeller, a forum which I regularly visited until I decided to log in. Could you please send me the details to buy your kit. I can pay by Paypal. I hope it will be possible to get one.

Many thanks ahead and best regards,

FrenchFox.

Hi FrenchFox,

I have sent you a personal message, your model should be complete this weekend :)

Good news all!

The 1/32 IS printing now!

I'm going to print off a complete kit, providing it all works, I'll print more to send out.

The only issue is, the fuselage alone (split into 3 parts) is going to take at least 26 hours to print and I've had to split the wings down into even smaller parts - it's probably going to be a little pricey to reflect the amount of time it's taking me to do this... My printer isn't large enough to double up prints in 1/32 either, so I can't bring the cost down that way (like I managed to do with my 1/48 model).

But that said, it will be a chance to get a 1/32 Fairey IIIF :)

1/32 update. 

We have a fuselage! 

IMG_20201206_084525

IMG_20201206_084549

I didn't realise quite how large this kit in fact is... It's looking like something a bit special. 

As 1/32 is 1.5 times larger than 1/48, that makes the kit nearly 3.5 times bigger (1.5^3). As such, this kit is using a lot of resin and will weigh a fair bit too. 

Price will be £120 including free UK postage, so not cheap. However, it takes 3 times as long to make as the 1/48 kit and uses 3 times the amount of resin, so I hope this isn't unreasonable.

Its also going to be VERY exclusive, as I'm only making a few and I won't be advertising this kit for sale elsewhere. 

• Like 2

Oh my goodness!!!  That is amazing!  Thank you so very much.  I am sorry for all the extra work this has caused you, but rest assured it will be the treasure of my collection!

I cant put into words how grateful I am for this and the price is more than reasonable....you have made my day!!!!

Sorry for all the exclamation marks LOL

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2