Fairey IIIF 1/48

wellsprop

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the images you posted, @iang has suggested some changes that I will incorporate for the 32 scale model. Any further images/information on the particular design/shape of the NZ/FAA/Greek versions will be greatly appreciated.

Much of the design is my interpretation of images/plans. I must stress, this is my first attempt to design and print a model and I'm not particularly good at interpreting shapes etc (I'm a typical technical engineer, I need detailed planes and dimensions - I somewhat lack creativity)!

I shall do some research as well....whatever you do will be better than I can I am sure!  Just appreciate you doing it.  Having said that, it would be nice to get it as accurate as possible

I shall see what I can find

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 5:12 PM, wellsprop said:

@MarcB @Hutch are you interested in a kit?

@Anthony in NZ @iang I've now got at least 3 people interested in a 1/32 version, so I am going to look o scale it up. I need to modify it slightly to have the longer rear cockpit (for the NZ & Greek versions) as well as model the later style floats.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes count me in for one kit please !

Thanks

M

• Like 1

It occurs to me, Ben, that this fine kit could possibly do well for you if you did the surface clean up on the parts then sent the big bits for traditional resin casting and keep the 3D printed kit parts for the smaller items. That should hugely cut down your own print time for each kit as well as your resin consumption. The main benefits would be a clean-up free kit as well as hugely reduced time to produce for you as an individual. 60 hour print times will become a chew, I assure you!

The downside would be the potential leap of faith in the initial outlay for the batch of parts rather than print-on-demand.

There's even someone following your thread with pretty good industry knowledge about commercial resin casting.

Edited by Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies
  • Like 3

This looks like an excellent first production of a 3D printed model. An aircraft that should be popular amongst 1/48 enthusiasts certainly. I'm inclined to agree with @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies's suggestion to obtain a more readily producible model.

Worth thinking about certainly.

Well done!

Terry

10 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It occurs to me, Ben, that this fine kit could possibly do well for you if you did the surface clean up on the parts then sent the big bits for traditional resin casting and keep the 3D printed kit parts for the smaller items. That should hugely cut down your own print time for each kit as well as your resin consumption. The main benefits would be a clean-up free kit as well as hugely reduced time to produce for you as an individual. 60 hour print times will become a chew, I assure you!

The downside would be the potential leap of faith in the initial outlay for the batch of parts rather than print-on-demand.

There's even someone following your thread with pretty good industry knowledge about commercial resin casting.

I was wondering the other night about the possibilities of increasing efficiency.

As you said, my main concerns are about initial investment (though this is the only way to up-scale and improve manufacturing). There are a couple of other concerns, mainly staying within the Britmodeller rules (i.e. ad-hoc kits) and also potential CAD licensing issues.

It'll be interesting to see how many people want kits in the near future, so far I've got a couple requests for 1/48 and a couple for 1/32. Hopefully, I'll get some more interest for 1/48 kits soon.

Ben

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

I was wondering the other night about the possibilities of increasing efficiency.

As you said, my main concerns are about initial investment (though this is the only way to up-scale and improve manufacturing). There are a couple of other concerns, mainly staying within the Britmodeller rules (i.e. ad-hoc kits) and also potential CAD licensing issues.

It'll be interesting to see how many people want kits in the near future, so far I've got a couple requests for 1/48 and a couple for 1/32. Hopefully, I'll get some more interest for 1/48 kits soon.

Ben

Hi Ben,

There's ways and means. It might be worth going offline to ask Ali's thoughts on the ballpark costs of castings. I know what we pay for Mosquito nacelles and Beaufighter tails.

If you didn't want to do the whole business side of things you could piggy-back off someone else. There are guys who sell kit designs to established companies and stuff like that.

If you can do the design (and you can) then their are lots of ways to make your little mark on the modelling world and send a few kits out into it :)

• Like 5

The aircraft itself is not something I would be interested in, but that really is fantastic work at what I consider to be a really great price.  £60 for

the work involved in designing and printing that is excellent value. 

Well done and good luck.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 4:36 AM, wellsprop said:

Ben

Hi Ben. Another interested in a kit in 1:48 scale. Like my mate Anthony, I've been after a Fairey IIIF for my NZPAF/RNZAF collection and never thought I'd see one eventuate!

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheeled version now available!

Fairey Wheeled 2 Fairey Wheeled 1

This wheeled version is for the 2 seat aircraft - there was also a three seater which i am working on! The rear cockpit shap of this version is different on some aircraft, I have modelled the version with a smooth blend between the rear portion of the rear cockpit and the aft fuselage spine (some didn't have this smooth blend, a file will sort that out!).

Ben

• Like 1

Ben,

I'd like to model HMS Hood's IIIF with one of your kits (in 1/32):

https://themuseummodeler.wordpress.com/2014/11/24/a-bit-of-history-hms-hood-and-failure-to-launch/

http://www.hmshood.com/photos/burgess/burgess.htm

Hood carried S1535 or S1506.

There is a very good close-up photo of S1505 from HMS Valiant, which might help with details:

https://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/news-photo/fairey-iiif-seaplane-launches-into-the-wind-from-the-deck-news-photo/613456368?adppopup=true

IG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I can't believe how much interest there is for this in 1/32....

Hopefully it should be as easy as just scaling up all the final part files and resaving them as STL's. Surely not?!

Ben

Only one way to find out! 

Well I'm sure the 1/32 kit will be good (though I am amazed how popular that scale is becoming). However I am now awaiting delivery of my first 1/48 kit and plan to WiP it. I keep admiring this aircraft - it's really the swordfish's pretty younger sister!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update.

@Pete M. @Anthony in NZ @Aidrian, listen up gentlemen! I have completed the exterior design of the 1/48 Fairey IIIF in NZ/Greek service - this mainly consists of redoing the rear cockpit and a few panel lines.

FaireyComplete5

I have to modify the cockpit internals for the larger rear cockpit, but other than that, it's very nearly ready to print!

I intend to print the first 48th scale kit within a week or two, this will be used to prove the design (though the changes are limited and to the fuselage only). After this, I will be scaling it up to 1/32!

Ben

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wellsprop said:

A quick update.

@Pete M. @Anthony in NZ @Aidrian, listen up gentlemen! I have completed the exterior design of the 1/48 Fairey IIIF in NZ/Greek service - this mainly consists of redoing the rear cockpit and a few panel lines.

FaireyComplete5

I have to modify the cockpit internals for the larger rear cockpit, but other than that, it's very nearly ready to print!

I intend to print the first 48th scale kit within a week or two, this will be used to prove the design (though the changes are limited and to the fuselage only). After this, I will be scaling it up to 1/32!

Ben

Woo-Hoo, go Ben!!!

That looks awesome buddy!  I cant wait.....

Cheers Anthony! If anyone has any suggestions or corrections on my design, please do let me know!

I don't claim to be an expert at all and these designs are my interpretation of the Fairey IIIF based on blurry period photos, questionable plans, my (small) knowledge of interwar aircraft and my (dodgy) engineering judgment (don't tell my senior engineers/managers that I said that last bit!).

• Like 1

From one Ben to another absolutely fantastic work. Been watching with interest but never anticipated that you’d actually produce one for us mere mortals! I’d be interested in ordering a Floats Version (FAA) 1/48 so will pm you separately. Benbow

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Cheers Anthony! If anyone has any suggestions or corrections on my design, please do let me know!

I don't claim to be an expert at all and these designs are my interpretation of the Fairey IIIF based on blurry period photos, questionable plans, my (small) knowledge of interwar aircraft and my (dodgy) engineering judgment (don't tell my senior engineers/managers that I said that last bit!).

Ben,

perhaps include the retractable radiator under the front fuselage, quite visible when the plane is at rest ?

MB

On 9/17/2020 at 12:16 AM, wellsprop said:

A quick update.

FaireyComplete5

Ben

Looking good mate. Money put aside for when you go into production. Will be another one to tick off my wants list!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another short update; I've been rattling through 1/48 kits for different people, whilst slowly creating all the print files for the 1/32 kit.

So far I have print files for the fuselage and floats, each of those takes 24 hours to print. I have yet to do the wings, tail surfaces and smaller detail parts - I imagine the full kit will take 5 or 6 full days of printing!

Once I've got all the print files complete, I'm going to print one complete 1/32 model and, providing it actually works, I'll then start offering them as kits - I'm only going to do a few of these considering how much time each will take to print.

8 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Another short update; I've been rattling through 1/48 kits for different people, whilst slowly creating all the print files for the 1/32 kit.

So far I have print files for the fuselage and floats, each of those takes 24 hours to print. I have yet to do the wings, tail surfaces and smaller detail parts - I imagine the full kit will take 5 or 6 full days of printing!

Once I've got all the print files complete, I'm going to print one complete 1/32 model and, providing it actually works, I'll then start offering them as kits - I'm only going to do a few of these considering how much time each will take to print.

Thank you sooooo much, I am really quite excited to get on in 1/32 scale please can you put me down as a definite?  I will send you a PM  later today

Cheers Anthony