• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 6:16 AM, DonH said:

Nice progress. That Horton looks like a great little kit, can't wait to see the finished result.

Thanks. She’s getting there slowly.

On 9/28/2020 at 7:00 AM, giemme said:

Smart solution for the riveting! :worthy:

Ciao 

Thanks. 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:16 AM, Marklo said:

Don’t get me started on rivets. Hmmmm

Wha..... oh. 🤪

On 9/28/2020 at 4:25 PM, Zack said:

The Horten... it is likely to be one of the most revolutionary designs ever.
I did see the predecessors on dislay at the Air Museum at Oberschleissheim outside Munich:

2v2HhuHK3x6eHcV.jpg

2v2HhuHc9x6eHcV.jpg

Likely to be a glider to prove the design concept, but how about steering a jet lying on your stomach?

Horrifying!!!!!!

Nice work! 

Wow great pic. Thanks for sharing.

On 9/29/2020 at 1:09 AM, Lewis95 said:

Great updates buddy. Will have to catch up with the others in the morning! Thanks for the Vixen link, will have a mooch when I finish up these little thrillers! 

No probs. Venom though right? 👌

On 10/2/2020 at 9:25 PM, opus999 said:

Great progress so far.  The riveting method is clever.  It definitely gives it a more industrial look.  Can't wait to see what it looks like painted!

Thanks. I did the same river thing on my 1:24 Messerchmit. It was a little more forgiving and that scale. 

• Like 1

Seems to have been an age since I updated on the Horton. The Blenheim has been taking most of my attention.

But we have paint!

A pre shade no less.

Bottom (ooooh matron)

out to quote @CedB “what’s this?”

50439132777_ff242695df_b.jpg

“A dead one of these” ahhhh it’s been a while. 😍🤣

50439132712_695166766c_b.jpg

I decided to use my stipple mask to add variation.

Top.

50451735798_b63f88d774_b.jpg

And ahem. The under side. 
after drying its time for real colour. Well RLM grey and white mix.

pass one.

50451582003_431faefacf_b.jpg

And pass two.

50451581728_a56745776a_b.jpg

After the venom I was a bit disappointed that I didn’t leave enough of the base coat showing thorough so this time I’m playing it safe and making sure it’s quite visible. 
Top side painted in the week. Hope you’re all having a splendid weekend. All the best.

Johnny

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Looking good.  Finally got some paint for mine yesterday, so splashed it on today.  I realised that the wing joints were not as well filled as I had hoped, having done them probably 3+ years ago.  I am assuming though that German panel fit was probably not the greatest by the end of the war.  Probably having components made in different factories & hurriedly bolted together in underground facilities in the Owl mountains.  Anyway she is looking like this

PgTVdel.jpg

nida8hK.jpg

The trouble with rattle cans is they put a coat down that is a bit too thick so the preshade is barely there.  

• Like 4

A stipple mask is a new one for me.  I will have to look into that.  I usually go the black base/marbling route, and have used salt weathering occasionally for variation, but this looks like it achieves the same thing with a lot less hassle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Looking good.  Finally got some paint for mine yesterday, so splashed it on today.  I realised that the wing joints were not as well filled as I had hoped, having done them probably 3+ years ago.  I am assuming though that German panel fit was probably not the greatest by the end of the war.  Probably having components made in different factories & hurriedly bolted together in underground facilities in the Owl mountains.  Anyway she is looking like this

The trouble with rattle cans is they put a coat down that is a bit too thick so the preshade is barely there.  

I couldn't get the wing joint right either, which was irritating as the rest of the fit was good. But at least you've got rid of the pre-shade so that's progress 😉

• Haha 3

On 10/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, billn53 said:

The effect from the stipple mask is very nice.

Thanks. I used it on my Venom too but the top coat washed a lot of it away on the top side. I figured I’d go for Brooke on these builds. 🤩

On 10/11/2020 at 6:58 PM, bar side said:

PgTVdel.jpg

nida8hK.jpg

Looking great. Looks like you’re going for “Red 13” 😀

On 10/11/2020 at 7:50 PM, opus999 said:

A stipple mask is a new one for me.  I will have to look into that.  I usually go the black base/marbling route, and have used salt weathering occasionally for variation, but this looks like it achieves the same thing with a lot less hassle!

Yes they are great. I have seen them for sale for silly money but you can pick them up at quite a good price. I think I paid about £15

On 10/11/2020 at 8:00 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

I couldn't get the wing joint right either, which was irritating as the rest of the fit was good. But at least you've got rid of the pre-shade so that's progress 😉

Oi!! 🧐

On 10/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, CedB said:

Very nice paint Jont - loving that finish :) 

Thanks Ced. 🤩

• Like 2

Evening everyone. Yesterday was a double paint day but I only had time to post for the Blenheim so the Horton goes tonight. 😍

Now I might be wrong but I think Blau 4 has RLM 81 and 82 on it. Well at least that’s what the instructions say. I’ll check later so I started with the lightest shade. Thin passes.

50474060342_ac766127b4_b.jpg

And a few more.

50473907406_f86ae9ce01_b.jpg

That I think is about it for that coat. 😍

50473204378_83f4b8738e_b.jpg

Not everyone’s cup of tea but I love that pure shade. 🤩

now for masking. I do love splinter patterns. Nice and easy to mask.

50473907476_155ddd57ce_b.jpg 50474060762_5aebc8308f_b.jpg

Then the second coat. (Look up there it is RLM 81 and 82 ) 🥰

50473204253_da54dc8173_b.jpg

Looks a lot darker on the instructions. 
but with the masking off I really like the look. 😀 Strange looking at these pictures how different the colours look in and out of the booth. 

50473204213_8fdde6131c_b.jpg

And tother way up.

50473907901_56e22d3216_b.jpg

Happy with that. I need to do the yellow on the nose then I can gloss for decals. Oh and the landing gear off course. 🤓

Thanks for looking in.

More soon.

Johnny. 🥳

• Like 18

9 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow! I love how that looks! It looks realistically worn.  

What paint are you using?  I recently had a trip through the late-war luftwaffe color rabbit hole on my Fw-190F-8 build.  :drunk::frantic: 

Thanks. I’m using AK airbrush stuff. It’s a box of RLM stuff that I snatched up at my LMS closing down sale. I’ll post a pic for you next update. 😇

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Wonderful pre-shading effect, Johnny! :clap:  Or is that pure shading?  

:rofl: 

Ciao

A bit of both. I’m really letting it all show through. Thought I’d have some fun to get the mojo flow on the go. 😃

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Looking very good Johnny, great shades :cool:

Thanks Mr B. Milo was loving the T2 jokes this morning. Pretty much anything followed by “if you want to live”. 😎

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Really enjoying that paint work, looks fantastic Johnny.

Rob

Thanks. The washes and decals will really bring it out. 🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Little update in a rare moment of sleeplessness. 😯

Here are the paints I promised to show @opus999. I didn’t pay that much for them but they are really good to use.

50515865526_10f737c74e_b.jpg

I think I might need box one as every time I go to use them I’m missing some vital shades. 😑

Not a huge amount done but I took the pics so it would be rude not to share.

Decals.

50515150793_fe9a830a4b_b.jpg

They’re really good and settled down with some micro sol.

50515865491_9805dcddde_b.jpg

Underside next.

Thanks for dropping by. hope you’re all having a splendid week. Take care and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny

• Like 14

On 22/10/2020 at 23:55, Back in the Saddle said:

That is looking rather sweet Johnny!👍

Off to Google ‘stipple mask’ now...😁

Thanks. They are super useful if you’re into that kind of thing. 😃

On 23/10/2020 at 01:40, opus999 said:

Thanks Mate!  The Horton is looking fantastic!  I think mine is rising pretty fast to the top of the stash after seeing this... 🤔

lovely. 🤩

On 23/10/2020 at 12:59, giemme said:

Impeccable decal job, Johnny :clap: 

I heard you're gonna try masking an painting insignia on your next build, right? :whistle:

:D  :D  

Ciao

Thanks. And maybe? One day. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More Horton action on this Lazy Sunday. 
Decals done and top coat sprayed.

50530148481_401c22a74f_b.jpg 50529425668_daa51291b8_b.jpg

And the underside.

50530148461_e134bf4eef_b.jpg

I was thinking about flory but I need to finish these bits.

50530148566_56abbffa26_b.jpg

Hmmmmm 🤔 Lots of sticking. There’s an entire sprue left. 😱

50530148516_31b1345cec_b.jpg

Not so much when you clip them off and tidy them.

50529425613_d8be5c2c89_b.jpg

All primed.

50530148521_1b6c3d320c_b.jpg

There’s a light at the end of the multi build tunnel. 🤩😇🥳

I’m aiming for the end of the week. I can’t stop thinking about that Hind cockpit. 🤔

Johnny

• Like 8

Horten looks great, Johnny! :clap: :worthy:  

14 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I can’t stop thinking about that Hind cockpit

Of course you can't .... :doh:  :D  :D 

Ciao

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, giemme said:

Of course you can't .... :doh:  :D  :D 

But it’s so..... so blue / green!!!! 🤪

1 minute ago, bar side said:

Get those painted & on and there are just aerials & pitot to go surely.  Few decals for the undercarriage doors too

Yup. Aaaand the weathering. Can’t forget that. 🤩

• Like 2
  • Haha 1