Panzer IA - HobbyBoss - 1/35

Hi guys,

I started this build few weeks ago, but I was not able to start WIP topic earlier.

Anyway, it's HobbyBoss kit with full interior. I hate kits with full interiors, because I don't like to seal them once I spend a lot of time building them (I know, I will always know it's inside, and I'll have photos of it, but still), but I also can't force myself to not finish it :)

Box

The kit is really great. It's fascinating how many stuff they were able to pack in the box so small :)

There is early/late option offered, early is (mostly) 3.Serie La.S, while late is 4.Serie. I'll probably go for 3. Serie with some field modifications implemented and for the DAK 5. Leighte Division markings, probably vehicle 833. I'll do some additional research regarding this vehicle, which version was it, which markings, etc. because I am not very convinced by HobbyBoss instructions. I started separate topic to discuss vehicle identification, paint & markings, etc. You can find it here.

Current state of build is: interior almost finished, I am now struggling with soooo small photo-etched and it's quite frustrating.

Some interior photos:

I did some research regarding interior paints and tried to stick to original photos and material from Panzer Tracts and similar books, not the restored vehicles. But still, there might be some inaccuracies, for example, handles, metal parts of the driver seat may be painted gloss black, not white, but I am not sure.

Also, you may notice that I made a mistake and interior of superstructure is not the same color as interior of the lower hull. It's had to mix these off-white tones consistently.

Now it is the time to seal everything (at least I will leave most hatches open) :(

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 15

That looks really good Nenad.

I've generally stayed away from full interior kits just because it there seems to be so much work that will never be seen. I may attempt a cutaway one day though.

Wayne 

• Thanks 1

am a sucker for a well done interior - and that is one well done interior... I think this is also branded as Tristar - I built their Pz I AA variant a few years back - that was a really nice build and my first interior

• Thanks 1

@Longbow @Model Mate @diablo rsv @Ron NL-S @robw_uk @Jasper dog thank you guys!

On 8/4/2020 at 3:48 PM, diablo rsv said:

That looks really good Nenad.

I've generally stayed away from full interior kits just because it there seems to be so much work that will never be seen. I may attempt a cutaway one day though.

Wayne 

Well, I couldn't agree more. I see it as a sacrifice to the modeling gods :)

On 8/4/2020 at 3:11 PM, Model Mate said:

that looks fantastic - yes, it'll be a shame to lose it later, but it's still fun to do, right? I'll have to check out these Hobby Boss kits, they look really good.

This is my first HobbyBoss kit, but so far, it looks really good. Detailing is fantastic, and it's not over engineered, at least not like some other kits. Here's an example of the level of details:

This engine is really really small! 

Anyway, I finished with photo-etched parts. They are so small, it's really only for true masochists.

This is one example, compared to 0.2mm needle:

Now, I am ready to seal everything. More to come over the weekend.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Don't let this kit determine your feelings towards hobbyboss in general. The kit was originally released by TriStar (as is the case with several hobbyboss armor kits) and is far more excellent than much of what hobbyboss typically produces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Hull closed and primed with Mr.Finishing Surfacer. 

Hatches are just temporarily closed with white glue for painting purposes. I'll open most of them once painting and weathering is done.

At the end, I decided to go with vehicle number 833 from Panzer Regiment 5 which will be Serie 3 vehicle (confirmed from the photos with fair degree of certainty) with following modifications:

1. Wider transmission access hatch. This is not a modification, but many Serie 3 vehicles had it (as seen on DAK photos as well). Even though it was officially introduced for Serie 4, it seems then it was actually introduced when the change request was made during the Serie 3 production.
  2. Notek and convoy lights added (I'll add Notek light later). I am quite sure convoy light was present on this vehicle from the rear photographs, and it was usually paired with Notek light.
  3. Bosch short horn. Not confirmed for this particular vehicle because I was not able to find from view photos, but most of the DAK Pz IAs had it.
  4. Smoke grenade rack added (not present on this photo, forgot to add it to the pile). This is confirmed from the rear photos.
  5. Added rear armor. Also confirmed from the rear photos.

Even though some photos show this vehicle without front mud guards, I decided to add them...  mainly because I spent a lot of time making this tiny photo-etched latches :)

I had to add some scratch built plastic patches to make front guards fit well (the only parts that didn't fit well in this kit).

Now, I'll paint it with RAL 7021. Still didn't decide which pain/camo will go over RAL 7021. Probably it will be either mud camo or some light Regia Aeronautica paint, not sure yet which one.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 4

Doing a tremendous job, particularly with the tiny photo etch, great work.

Looking forward to seeing it painted. 

Cheers

Darryl 

7 hours ago, robw_uk said:

very nice... have never thought of using white glue to hold hatches shut - always stuff the openings with tissue... 

Humbrol clearfix works too, comes apart easily when needed, doesn't require much clean up after.

• Thanks 1

That's a lovely kit originally by Tristar.

I've done it as well about dozen years ago and liked it very much.

Your take on this is simply stunning.

Can't wait for more.

Kristjan

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 3:00 PM, robw_uk said:

very nice... have never thought of using white glue to hold hatches shut - always stuff the openings with tissue... 

Thank you Rob. I usually use tissues as well, but when there is an interior with all of the small and fragile parts, they can easily be broken with tissue.

Also, if I have to do some complex camo work (which is not the case here), it's easier if all the hatch lids are in place before painting.

@SimonT, @Jasper dog, @vaoinas thank you guys!

Hi guys,

I finished painting the base color, RAL 7021. Here's my little lump of coal :)

Used Mission Models paint this time. I doubt I'll use it ever again. I tried to give it a chance few time, and I was dissapointed by the accuracy. This is the first time accuracy is okish, and although I really like how this paints spray, and I like the smooth texture, they do not stick to the primer as they should. Or maybe I'm just too spoiled because I'm usually using lacquers.

I applied Gunze Premium Clear (semi-gloss) over it.

Next. I'll apply decals and then, I'll apply final camouflage color. Problem is, I don't know yet which paint should it be. It's definitely not going to be RAL 8000. All of the photos of Panzer Reg 5 armor from the first two months of the NA campaign are showing much lighter color than RAL 8000, and also, chances are very slim (if not impossible) that RAL 8000 was supplied on time for the beginning of operations. Anyway, my top choices are:

1. Giallo Sabbia Chiaro - it was already in use for quite some time, there is a chance it was already in the depots established by Italians, and it looks like the paint on the photos from the period,
  2. Giallo Mimetico 1 - again, matching the paint seen on photos, and there is a good chance it was already present in the supply depots.

While I am deciding about this, I am working on my least favorite task: cleaning indy track links 🤯

Unfortunately, a lot of cleaning is needed, it's going sooooo slow.

More to come over the weekend. I hope I'll decide which paint to use till then.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 5

Hi guys,

Here's an update. I applied decals and one more layer of semi-gloss. I made a little mistake with "833" decal. It should be placed a little bit more to the rear of the turret. I placed it according to the instructions sheet, but then I checked reference photos and noticed that instructions are not correct.

I also decided to put the Balkenkreuz on the side. It's not present in the instructions, but it is there on the photos.

Anyway, here's the result.

9 10

Left track is also finished, finally! Now working on a right track and tools. Tracks are just put in place temporarily. I'll remove them to paint them separately. To do that, I attached sprocket wheel just temporarily with white glue.

The sag needs a little bit of fixing over the sprocket wheel, but other than that I am ok with the result.

I decided that I'll go with Giallo Sabbia Chiaro for the camo. It's closest match to reference photos from the first two months of the campaign, and the biggest chance that this paint was provided on March 23rd 1940 when the vehicles were painted for the first time. There is already available premixed Giallo Sabbia Chiaro by LifeColor but I can't buy it locally, and as I didn't want to wait for 2-3 weeks for it to arrive, I decided to play around with Gunze mixes to match LifeColor version.

These are some of my attempts:

giallo sabbia chiaro - 1

I will probably go with No.3. maybe a bit lighter.

This is the mix in case someone needs it:

• 10 parts of White H11
  • 2 parts of Middlestone H71
  • 1 part of Dark Yellow H403
  • 1 part of Yellow H4

That's it for now.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 4

Hi guys,

I applied Giallo Sabbia Chiaro and here's the result.

13a

Even though I sprayed 4 layers, it still got a green tinge from the RAL 7021.

It's applied over chipping agent, so I did some chipping afterwards.

I tried not to overdo it, I hope I didn't :)

Next, I'll add some dust and sand and add all the missing parts. I am thinking not to apply any flat coat. I like the difference between semi-gloss of RAL 7021 and matt finish of Giallo Sabbia Chiaro that would be destroyed if I apply matt coat.

Oh, and tracks are finally finished :christmas:

Hope I'll finish it over the weekend.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 6