1/200, 1/144 & 1/72 - Saab-Fairchild 340 & 2000 by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art+3D renders - release in 2024

Homebee

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/kovop/posts/1380741072119738

http://www.modelarovo.cz/nova-linie-modelu-v-kovozavodech-prostejov-dopravaky-1-250/

New line of models in Kovozávody Prostějov - Airliners 1/250

I am sure that every older kit builder can remember little airliner kits produced by German company SIKU and by Dubena in Czech Republic. Thanks to the lack of kits in Eastern Europe in these days we used that kits as a base for various conversions, minimally one of example of the line was present in every kit collection. There were some discussions according to scale, all that kit were reproduced in 1/250 scale.

All that SIKU/Dubena kits are collectors items today. I had the plan to release all that "plastic pins" to the market again. I realised that I missed the boat after a short investigation - all moulds were scrapped in the nineties. Anyway - you can find article about the history of Dubena kits here on Modelarovo web.

But I never left the idea and took the decision to do it. Just another try... And - the first two moulds prepared in 3D and CAD/CAM environments are at finishing stages now and the fresh new KP line - "Airliners 1/250" was born. Couple of the new line starters are beautiful SAABs - SF-340 and S-2000 which you can meet in many interesting liveries worldwide., including Czech and Slovak ones. You can wait for Air France, Sabena and many more. The first two boxes will be prepared in Swedish style - aircraft of ComAir and in company livery.

The scale brings the simplicity of the kits, they will contain only a few parts. All livery elements, windows and doors will be present in the form of decals. Another interesting types are in the progress, stay tuned for the information.

I hope that this line of simple but interesting kits will catch the attention of kit builders and collectors. They will get the chance to make the line of Dubena kits more wide. The first kits will come in October 2020.

Petr Muzikant

KP/AZ

Czech text and other pictures can be found at www.modelarovo.cz

Český text a další obrázky najdete na www.modelarovo.cz

1-250-saab-340-556x380.jpg

2-250-a-saab-2000-500x323.jpg

01-SAAB-340-500x353.jpg

02-SAAB-2000-500x339.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

Smart idea for those of us who can't afford building up even 1/144 civil collection because of cabinet size needed. 

Even smaller regional aircraft are a size of 1/72 wwii twin-engine bomber. And larger ones are the size of 1/72 B-29 or even more.

• Thanks 1

Great subjects. But why 1/250??? I would love it if it had been 1/144 (or 1/72), but I doubt I will buy anyone of these. Sad. So close... Just as interesting as if someone was releasing a new Viggen in 1/92.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

But why 1/250???

Well, having read Petr's statement it's very likely for reasons of nostalgia.:) 

Despite the subject matter not being my thing, I think it's a nice idea, they might even be a good alternative for EE & others. 

I really don't understand why you would have to be so negative. If it's not your thing, fine. Nobody's forcing you to get these...

• Like 4

17 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Well, having read Petr's statement it's very likely for reasons of nostalgia.:) 

Despite the subject matter not being my thing, I think it's a nice idea, they might even be a good alternative for EE & others. 

I really don't understand why you would have to be so negative. If it's not your thing, fine. Nobody's forcing you to get these...

No, nobody is forcing me, and I won't buy them. Sadly, since I am from Sweden, and have built every other Saab aircraft, and would have loved them in 1/144 or 1/72. And I have already seen many Swedish builders thinking just like me.

If they had been in a decent scale, they would have been a huge success at least in Sweden, since these subjects are so rare. Now, I guess that they will sell just a few. To me this is a missed opportunity. And that is why I am so negative. Close, but no cigar...

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 6

Well... 

I'm also from Sweden and I would love a couple of SAABs... if they where issued in a "proper scale" like 1:144 or 1:72. 

I thought that the dark days of "box-scale kits" where long gone. 

Perhaps this series will be a sucess? 

I guess that it depends on the price. If these are really cheap and nicely done, maybe they will sell some since these are very attractive aeroplanes. 

Rudolf_Filip 

• Like 6

This just seems such an odd territory to go into, Saab airliners would really suit 72nd scale, at a push 1:144 just to go with other airliner kits.

Even the 1:200 Hasegawa Jumbo is small.

And on a general note, why do airliners have to be so small, we have 72nd B-52s, B-1s, B-36s etc which seem to sell consistenty well, but as soon as a civil type is suggested in this scale it brings intakes of breath about how big it is.

I just hope more manufacturers follow the lead of BPK and the outfit (unnamed?) that are bringing us the 72nd 747.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Rudolf_Filip said:

Well... 

I'm also from Sweden and I would love a couple of SAABs... if they where issued in a "proper scale" like 1:144 or 1:72. 

I thought that the dark days of "box-scale kits" where long gone. 

Perhaps this series will be a sucess? 

I guess that it depends on the price. If these are really cheap and nicely done, maybe they will sell some since these are very attractive aeroplanes. 

Rudolf_Filip 

You think to small. 1/48 is the scale we want SAAB 340 and 2000 in.

• Haha 2

Wasn't the Wooster snap-fit model line of days long gone mostly in 1/250? Wide-bodies anyway. I'm thinking KP's announcement could be interpreted as a move towards desktop models like Wooster's, only without markings so presumably cheap... er?

Jay

I'm interested, I like small plane kits. Hopefully a range of airfield vehicles etc. will follow as the small size will make these great for dioramas.

Obviously there are reasons they have gone with 1/250 and never underestimate the nostalgia appeal. A pity they didn't go for 1/288 though, would fit with the range of ex-Soviet types from Toko/Eastern Express and you have a good supply of diorama pieces using 1/285 scale wargame kits.

As per my coffee tin lid diorama:

spacer.png

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/250 - Saab-340 & 2000 by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art - release in 2021

Expected in Q1 2021

Source: http://www.modelarovo.cz/novinky-kovozavody-prostejov-na-1-q-2021/

Box art

- ref. KPM2501 - Saab-340 - American Eagle / JAC

KPM2501-cista-scaled.jpg

- ref. KPM2502 - Saab-340 - British Airways  / AirOstrava

KPM2502-cista-scaled.jpg

- ref. KPM2503 - Saab-340 - Air France / Tatra Air

KPM2503-cista-scaled.jpg

- ref. KPM2504 - Saab-2000 - Eastern / AirFrance

KPM2504-cista-scaled.jpg

- ref. KPM2505 - Saab-2000 - OLT / Brit.Air

KPM2505-cista-scaled.jpg

- ref. KPM2506 - Saab-2000 - CrossAir / SAS

KPM2506-cista-scaled.jpg

V.P.

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/200 - Saab-Fairchild 340 & 2000 by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art - release in 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/200 - Saab-Fairchild 340 & 2000 by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art - release in 2021 ?
On 04/08/2020 at 19:37, occa said:

Why are they introducing a new scale tho ?

IMO 1:288 would make more sense

There is quite a range of 1/200 scale kits from Hasegawa,Trumpeter,Zveza and others.

Wulfman

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/200 - Saab-Fairchild 340 & 2000 by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art - release in 2024
On 8/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, occa said:

Why are they introducing a new scale tho ?

IMO 1:288 would make more sense

They give the reason why in their text: it is not a new scale but returning to an earlier scale used for similar subjects.

If these fantastic subjects were released in either 1/72 or 1/144 I would certainly purchase them.  What a waste!!!!

• Like 3