HMS Rodney

Brian Derbyshire

Would anyone know when rodney first embarked a Walrus seaplane.I have 1/700 tamiya kit and white ensign P/ E ,and Flyhawk Walrus and i don,t want the hassle of a camo paint scheme,

plain home fleet grey would be nice ,Just wonder which non camo paint scheme would be correct with the seaplane or was it only onboard when Rodney had camo paint?

Cheers Brian 

According to Theo Ballance et al "The Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm" (Tonbridge: Air-Britain, 2016), she had a Swordfish until December 1939 when she embarked a Walrus.  At that time I believe she wore overalll Home Fleet Grey.

Note that the configuration represented in the kit is early 1930s - by 1939 she had three multiple 2pdr mountings, two quadruple 0.5" mountings and RDF (radar) fitted, and a sponson and cut-out section of the tower bridge behind it at shelter deck level (starboard side only), as well as the catapult and crane (which are in the White Ensign set).

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian,

To be accurate you'd need the modifications mentioned by Our Ned to represent HMS Rodney with a Walrus embarked at all, since the Tamiya kit portrays her appearance in the early 1930s. How bothered you are is a different matter entirely but strictly speaking, there was zero time overlap of the Tamiya kit configuration and Walrus on the ship.

• Thanks 1

Greetings Jamie.

Thanks for the assistance will look again at plans I have and  look into shapeways or after market to get weapon fit and radar correct  at least.

Just fancied building  a 1/700 aircraft! 

Cheers Brian. 

• Like 1

I understand completely! The changes aren't too savage, and the weapons themselves are widely available. The rest is pretty low-taxation sheet plastic work. As Our Ned says, the White Ensign Models PE set for Rodney/Nelson is the easiest way to get the crane and catapult plus other useful bits - probably the radars actually.

• Like 1