Finemolds 1/12 Deckel FP1 Milling Machine

PHIL B

Something a bit different for me. My Dad is a retired toolmaker so I built this for him for Father's Day.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

It was built straight from the box except for replacing the weedy injection moulded milling cutter with a cut-down twist drill.

The kit gives a representation of the machine's internal gearing but without gear teeth so the gear wheels are plain discs. I left out the internals and stuffed the cavity with screwdriver bits to give the model a bit of heft in your hand as befits a chunky piece of machinery.

As you might see from the photos the table and head can be moved using the handwheels. The IM screws have a pretty coarse thread but it works surprisingly well.

I was really impressed with Finemolds moulding and engineering quality. Easily up there with Tamiya/Hasegawa et al.

I wasn't brave enough to weather the model and Dad liked it so that's what counts!

Phil

• Like 17

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Brilliant! I never knew this kit even existed - bet your dad was chuffed with it, what a great Father's Day gift!

Keith

Thanks Keith. He was.

I'd never heard of it either! I bought a Tamiya Lotus 79 kit from someone on eBay and the kind seller included a Tamiya Model Magazine which had a build review of the Lotus. Also in the magazine was a build of the Deckel FP1! I immediately thought of Dad. Marcus Nicholls had built it without paint which sounds strange but wait, its designed to be assembled without cement so he could break it down when he was ready to spray. In fact, much of the work I did was to remove that feature so I could build it conventionally with lots of dry runs. Anyway, I hopped straight on t'interweb and ordered one from HobbyLink Japan. The real fun part of the build was making sure the working parts moved even after painting. Easy really due to the quality of the moulding and engineering but I can usually defeat those!

I just checked and they have it in stock now for just under £20. (other Japanese on-line hobby stores are available - ask me how I know!)

Phil

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Good job. Although I never saw one this clean, fresh and new when I worked in a factory many years ago.

Finemolds also do this:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/finemolds-mkn101-makino-v33i--1112179

But I don't think it looks as interesting

Cheers Gorby. You're right, Dad said that too.

If that was the same scale as the milling machine it might appeal but then its really just a big box.

Phil

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my lord, that is brilliant.  No namby-pamby safety guards, interlocks or lock-offs on that baby.

I recently left the Engineering department where we had a 60's Cincinatti milling machine in this 'engineering' green colour, though like Gorby's it wasn't quite factory fresh.  We did purchase a new XYZ machine, so I know that they do look this neat and tidy for a short while!

Cheers Natter. Finemolds deserve more credit than I do. Its a lovely kit of a great subject. You're right about the guards or lack thereof. While researching the FP1 I saw so many fiendish-looking attatchments for it too.

I wasn't happy about the shade of green and it definitely needs a whole load of swarf and cooling fluid!

You should build yourself one. It was great fun and you can add a lot more detail if you're of a mind to.

Phil.

• Like 1