As there are no group builds currently in progress that I am equipped to enter and fail to meet the deadline, as I’ve missed the Spitfire STGB and don’t have the correct mark of Spitfire for the Battle of Britain 80th (which I really should be entering), I’ve decided to do something, hopefully, a little different.  

Inspired by some great pictures here I thought I might finally get round to doing an F-16 I’ve had in the stash for ages.  So using this kit:

50186357492_0cb8bc8136_b.jpg

I‘m going to try and create something like this,  taken by Kevin Wills and published on www.globalaviationresource.com

50185701268_b1890fc649_b.jpg

Here’s a shot of the kit parts (obviously I once made a start on this kit as a few bits have been painted white),

50186105211_10a1ef2cde_b.jpg

and the kit decals (sadly a bit damaged from too long in a damp garage) and some aftermarket etched brass as the kit will need to be updated (why do I do this? I’m rubbish at using etch and superglue!)

50186357632_8fc684ba68_b.jpg

a close up of the etch 

50186357637_37cd5d8a58_b.jpg

and the decals I’ll be using to do an RJAF jet

50186357892_e397921690_b.jpg

If I’m to get a model looking even remotely like the picture on Global Aviation Resource is going to be a challenge, and I really ought to try and give myself a deadline - maybe the end of October? Possibly November? But probably December!!

To build the Jordanian bird in the picture you’ll need the tail from a F-16ADF as it has the antenna fairings along the base, you’ll also need the IFF bird slicers just in front of the canopy. I can’t help with the tail but I do have the bird slicers if you need them.

Edited by scotthldr

On 8/4/2020 at 1:48 AM, scotthldr said:

To build the Jordanian bird in the picture you’ll need the tail from a F-16ADF as it has the antenna fairings along the base, you’ll also need the IFF bird slicers just in front of the canopy. I can’t help with the tail but I do have the bird slicers if you need them.

Thanks @scotthldr, I hadn’t notice the aerial bulge at the base of the fin, that’s going to challenge my scratch building and filling skills 🤦🏻‍♂️.  I had noticed the need for the IFF aerials, but I’m hoping they are on the etch parts I’ve got. If not, I’m definitely interested in procuring yours please. Are they etch or resin?

I've got the top set of IFF antennas, but I forgot that you need another set for under the intake as well. I was going to suggest that you could build an ex Dutch or Belgian jet, but they both had extended tails housing a brake parachute and ECM suite respectively. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the kit you have is pretty much a no go for what you need.  

5 hours ago, scotthldr said:

I've got the top set of IFF antennas, but I forgot that you need another set for under the intake as well. I was going to suggest that you could build an ex Dutch or Belgian jet, but they both had extended tails housing a brake parachute and ECM suite respectively. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the kit you have is pretty much a no go for what you need.  

OK, so either my scratch building skills are going to be tested (never a good plan🤦🏻) or I need to do a bit more research.

The good news is, a bit more internet research and I’ve found some pictures of RJAF F-16s with none of the IFF aerials, tail fin aerial mods and a non-parachute fin.

50193913658_fc6d1fc377_b.jpg

All I’ve got to do (I think) is put the acft tail numbers in a different order.😇

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

OK, so either my scratch building skills are going to be tested (never a good plan🤦🏻) or I need to do a bit more research.

The good news is, a bit more internet research and I’ve found some pictures of RJAF F-16s with none of the IFF aerials, tail fin aerial mods and a non-parachute fin.

50193913658_fc6d1fc377_b.jpg

All I’ve got to do (I think) is put the acft tail numbers in a different order.😇

Those F-16's have the IFF, you can see it just in front of the canopy.

Not quite. The RJAF bought their initial batch of F-16's from US stocks of surplus F-16A/B ADF's. The F-16A ADF has the buldge on the tail and no parachute housing. Later, Jordan bought surplus Belgian and Netherlands F-16A/B's, both of which have the parachute housing although the Belgian jets use this for the Carapace ECM gear. 

So sorry, but still not quite there. 

The picture above shows the MLU-updated Jordanian ADF's, and in front of the cockpit they have the AN/APX-16 antennas. 

Here is a link to F-16.net and the Jordanian AF photo collection with some 162 images that should help you out: http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album07/album27?page=1

And a bit more on the history of the F-16 in Jordanian service: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article11.html

Edited by Boman
  • Like 1