First builds after an 8 year break! 5 Silver Wings.

I know they're not rigged and that the paint could have been better thought out for a clear demarcation between silver doped linen and highly polished aluminium panels but these are the first five of around 55 interwar kits I'm going to be concentrating on. I'll be building several more of each of these in different Sqn markings as I love the bright colours etc.

Mostly simple builds but one or two fought me all the way (Bulldog and Demon) and I learnt a lot from each kit so hopefully each one more I build will pick up on the mistakes of the first.

Finally I apologise for the pictures, I'm no photographer and haven't got the snazzy studio stuff that some have so these are taken in my garden on our patio table. All kits are built OOB and finished using a combination of Halfords and Citadel rattle cans, MRP & Vallejo airbrush ready and Revell/Citadel brush paints. 

Next up will be the Fairey Swordfish, Bristol 138, De Havilland Gypsy Moth, Vickers Vimy and the Blackburn Shark. All old Frog/Novo/Matchbox kits but still nice subjects and definitely kits I wanted to get done before moving onto the AModel/AZ Model/Kora/Aeroclub etc kits that were more expensive. As always all comments, questions, suggestions, queries and complaints are most welcome.

20200803_131543

20200803_131550

20200803_131615

20200803_131554

20200803_131618

20200803_131558

20200803_131620

20200803_131603

20200803_131623

20200803_131606

20200803_131626

• Like 53

I'm neither a biplane expert or a markings expert and counting rivets is boring ... and with that said I think your models are splendid. Looking forward to seeing more!

• Like 4

Great to see you back Alex and what a way to make an entrance.

You've got a wonderful colourful collection of inter-war biplanes there and all are beautifully built and finished. 

I have a soft spot for the RAF's Silver Wing era and we've been lucky enough to have manufacturers dipping their toes into that silvery pool. There have been a fair selection over the years from the likes of Airfix, Matchbox, Pegasus, Merlin and of course, curtesy of John Adams, the wonderful Aeroclub kits together with his fantastic selection of white metal accessories.

I can't wait to see the full 55 on your shelves!

• Like 1

Thank you all for taking the time to cast your eye over my formative builds and leave a little feedback, it's nice to hear from a few old friends too! I'll endeavour to crack on with the next batch (oddly enough it seems easier to build them in batches!). I will also try and best the Matchbox Walrus, I have attempted 2 over the last 12 weeks and both have ended up in the bin with the exact same issue of the engine pod being nigh on impossible to go together properly. Onwards and upwards. 

I've had the chance to view these on a decent sized screen now, was at work today & on my phone. They look way better viewed like that, I'm getting a "I've got all these kits, I could do that" feeling. Happily retirement looms & I just might. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

A lovely little collection from the halcyon days.  I have had exactly the same five models in my collection for many years now but i have to say none of them look as nice as yours.  I'm particularly impressed with the Demon.  Despite being a pretty basic kit yours looks superb.  It's just been re-released by Airfix I believe. 

I have a few kits from the this era in my stash which I really must get in with so this is a good reminder of how nice aircraft from those times can look.  I have the AZ Gauntlet, Hart, Demon and Tutor and they all appear to be be very nice kits.  I'm not sure about their availability these days though.

Dora Wings are to release both a Wapiti and a Wallace in the future which i will definitely be looking out for.  One important type which doesn't seem to be available except in expensive resin is the DH9A, a type I would really like. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A lovely little collection from the halcyon days.  I have had exactly the same five models in my collection for many years now but i have to say none of them look as nice as yours.  I'm particularly impressed with the Demon.  Despite being a pretty basic kit yours looks superb.  It's just been re-released by Airfix I believe. 

I have a few kits from the this era in my stash which I really must get in with so this is a good reminder of how nice aircraft from those times can look.  I have the AZ Gauntlet, Hart, Demon and Tutor and they all appear to be be very nice kits.  I'm not sure about their availability these days though.

Dora Wings are to release both a Wapiti and a Wallace in the future which i will definitely be looking out for.  One important type which doesn't seem to be available except in expensive resin is the DH9A, a type I would really like. 

As far as I know the only available kit is the Merlin or Pegasus offering but from what I can gather it takes a huge amount of work to produce an acceptable result. 

Again many thanks for your kind words, it's much appreciated and I'll try not to keep you all in suspenders too long before I serve up the next installment. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very Inspiring :worthy:... Im trying to get a Silver wings era Group build up and running as I write this. Aircraft like these are exactly what inspired me and I hope to see built in the Build if it ever comes to fruition. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Beautiful work Acky a great period in RAF aircraft and schemes and 55 to do too! don't worry about snazzy photo booth's or super camera's as great

as they are get a bit of old wallpaper and a couple of drawing pins mate!

20200510_101200

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 10:11 AM, stevej60 said:

Beautiful work Acky a great period in RAF aircraft and schemes and 55 to do too! don't worry about snazzy photo booth's or super camera's as great

as they are get a bit of old wallpaper and a couple of drawing pins mate!

20200510_101200

Stunning finish there mate, I will get round to rigging something soon!, or at least I should as I spent £7 on Mig rigging thread.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:19 PM, charlie_c67 said:

Look great! I've virtually the same line up to finish, but am struggling with the undercarriage. Any hints!?

My advice would be to get hold of a decent jig, mine held the kits upside down securely which gave me both hands free to hold the struts steady whilst the superglue kicked in!

• Like 1

A few more nearly at the finish post! Frog DH.60 & Bristol 138 and a Matchbox Swordfish. The sharp eyed will note that the 138 is awaiting the decals to be sun bleached and it's main wheels attaching whilst the Swordfish is missing it's torpedo, lewis gun, windshield and tailwheel which are all waiting for me to add glue! Again not rigged but I'm working up to that and built mainly OOB less DH.60 roundels and the Swordfish decals . Painted with Halfords/Citadel rattle cans, Tamiya/Vallejo/Citadel/Revell airbrushed and brushed acrylics.

FB_IMG_1599070343916

FB_IMG_1599070339832

FB_IMG_1599070346824

FB_IMG_1599070332807

FB_IMG_1599070336498

FB_IMG_1599070329337

FB_IMG_1599070325804

FB_IMG_1599070323194

FB_IMG_1599070318316

• Like 1