Wellington Mk X Conversion From Airfix Mk Ic ?

DaveCS

Hi All, 

Been a while since I’ve posted here but still building....  :)

I’ve been hunting to determine if this is feasible - making a Wellington Mk X from the Airfix Wellington Mk Ic.  I’ve hunted online and here on the forum and I haven’t found any info. 

It may be easier just to use an existing MPM Wellington Mk III that I have in my stash but the Airfix kit, being more modern, and from what I’ve read, an excellent build as well I’d love to see if I could use it instead. 

Any input is welcome on this.

Thanks kindly,

Dave

New engines, cowlings, propellers, turret(s), tailplanes, different transparencies down the fuselage.  The MPM one is certainly nearer, so perhaps you could cross-kit the necessary parts?

There may be more (eg wheels?), but the basic shape is the same as the prime change with the Mk.X was new metallurgy.

Thanks Graham, 

I thought the Airfix kit had the parts but, I guess, it likely doesn't.  I know it seems like, based in the reviews I had read, that most of the radial engined Wimpys could be built from it but these differences are probably too much vs the MPM kit (or I could just suck it up and find myself the Italeri Mk X kit.... which is still MPM) 

Cheers,
Dave

Unless you want to use the kit markings, I'm not sure that there would be any advantage to using the Mk.X kit rather than the Mk.III for the conversion.  Unless maybe the tailplane?  The MPM kit received some criticism when it first came out from modellers unused to the Czech short-run kits not providing one piece propellers, or in some cases engines.  However, this may only have been their Mk.I - if you have their Mk.III you will know what they provide.

As to the reviews, well, all Wellingtons do look much the same.  Reviewers in magazines are chosen for their ability to produce good-looking models and usable text to deadlines.  They are not - and cannot - be selected from those who know most about the aircraft but fail on one or more of the other points.  So with some notable exceptions, do not rely upon reviewers for a guide to the detail accuracy of the kits, or on their description of its possibilities.

Thanks again Graham! 

Maybe I'll just stick with the Wimpy III and attain the markings I want for the Mk X

Cheers,
Dave