USS Fletcher

Well my take on this ship after a 4 month build period trying some new techniques grinding the hull to get the oil-canned effect some people said they thought I was mad going at it with a Dremel but I think it came out OK. Used the new Vallejo coloured water gel jury is still out on that one and used the Big Etch set from Eduard added some needed details I will be adding some figures later when I can get round to finding the ones I used on my LSM build from Shapeways but the prices looks like they have gone up a fair bit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 42
  • Thanks 3

That is looking rather special Beefy. Your build speed is impressive (using me as a yardstick that is!) but you never let detail, accuracy and quality suffer. You really pushed the boat out with the oil canning on this one as well, and it has paid off immensely.

Top job.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Beefy,

I think it's your best build to date - Fabulous "oil canning" with excellent Camo scheme and overall detailing.

The base is tremendous and the pics with the flag really top it off

Take a bow that man :clap2::clap2:

Rob

• Thanks 1

Always liked the look of the Fletchers, and this model looks fantastic! I followed the build thread too. I've never built a ship or boat model in my life, but I find the maritime build threads some of the most interesting on here.

• Thanks 1

I think you have done an excellent job on this, your "oil canning" was a very brave step, and I must confess to having a "he must be barking" moment when I first saw what you were up to, but you really pulled it off, a lovely model  I suspect you have inspired a whole bunch of people to pick up a dremel and take a deep breath, excellent stuff !

Big respect

David 

Edited by Dancona
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the very kind words and likes it really is

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

You really pushed the boat out with the oil canning on this one

Terry don't mention boats @robgizlu might get a complex  :whistle:

16 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

The results speak for themselves on the oil canning, it's just right.

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

I must admit I sat on the fence when you took Dremel to plastic.....

Well you just cut the fence down

No Kev I have just had to fix the fence because of the high winds  😉

16 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I think it's your best build to date - Fabulous "oil canning" with excellent Camo scheme and overall detailing.

The base is tremendous and the pics with the flag really top it off

Take a bow that man

18 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Who imagined when you started grinding away at the hull, she'd turn out looking so good?   We never doubted you.  :clap2:

19 minutes ago, Dancona said:

your "oil canning" was a very brave step, and I must confess to having a "he must be barking" moment

OK I get it you lot just think I am bonkers but sometimes it's the daft ides that come out looking good 

As for the idea I said at the start it was not mine but from Daniel Moscatelli I just copied his method and hope to use it again on a 1/72 GATO sub build soon :banghead:

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Isn't that the wrong flag for 1942 though?

John I take it you mean the one used for a backdrop the stars and stripes and not the 4 signal flags or the one from the aft funnel

It was the only one I could borrow from our club display bag thought it would give the photos some extra colour sorry but not being American I am not sure as to how many times it has been changed only really know about the English one that has not changed in a long time.

Stay Safe Gents and Ladies of course

beefy

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the kind words Gent's thought this was done with. 

On 2/20/2021 at 9:13 PM, Pinehilljoe said:

Could you list the paint colors you used if you have time?

Well I have just realised I did not put the WIP link in so here it is and a list of the Colour coats paints used

• Norfolk antifouling Red
  • Black
  • Deck Blue B-20
  • Sea Blue S5
  • Ocean Gray 5-O
  • Have Gray 5-H

Cheers

beefy

Lovely finish Beefy

She looks all ready to star in Tom Hank's movie Greyhound which seems to show America winning the battle of the Atlantic in early 1942.  So, just completely the wrong time, role and ocean for a Fletcher class destroyer :doh:

Steve

• Haha 1