1:72 CMR Blackburn Firebrand TF Mk.V

I don't suppose many people would consider the Firebrand a beautiful aircraft but yours is a really beautiful model.  Great in every aspect but the paint finish is superb.  I'm saving my pennies for the Valom kit.  Fly Navy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, wow, wow - that is a show stopper!

Everyone else go home, no more modelling required, perfection has been achieved!

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2020 at 11:59, bigbadbadge said:

Looking fabulous Bill, great work.  I am sorry to have missed the WIP, not enough hours in a day unfortunately, hope you are okay.  Great model.

Thanks Chris. I'm OK - I'll be seeing the ENT oncologist tomorrow to see what he thinks about my tonsils. I had them looked at by my regular oncologist and he thought they looked normal, so that begs the question why they looked so bright on the PET scan. I guess we'll find out soon. In the meantime, I found out I have basal cell (skin) cancer yesterday. NO big deal, just watch out for those little thingies and hack 'em when you find them. Getting old is not for sissies!

On 03/08/2020 at 12:24, Heather Kay said:

Luvverly stuff, Bill. You’d be hard pressed to call the scale from those photos. :clap:

Thanks Heather. I'd say the scale was D Minor, definitely harmonic.    :)

On 03/08/2020 at 12:57, SAT69 said:

Until I saw the photos of your model, I didn't even know what a Firebrand was!

Thanks! You know, that's what most people say - especially over here in Yankville.

On 03/08/2020 at 14:06, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Incredible work here Bill. :thumbsup:... I will keep you in my thoughts regarding your health issues. 

Thanks so much.

On 03/08/2020 at 14:23, Graham T said:

Ouch that's fantastic!!  CMR really are beautiful kits, I built their Wyvern a few years back & that was a beauty. 

Thanks Graham. CMR kits are really nice, especially the later ones. I'm doing their Martin AM Mauler right now, and it is not even close to the Firebrand in detail. But it was an early effort from CMR.

On 03/08/2020 at 14:33, Terry1954 said:

Another splendid FAA masterpiece Bill. I very much admire the neat, precise and tidy finish on your creations. Another top class winner here!

Thanks Terry. The model might be neat, precise and tidy, but you should see the workbench!   :)

On 03/08/2020 at 14:57, lasermonkey said:

That really is outstanding. It must be amongst the best I've seen this year.

Thanks Mark. It's for sure the best I've built so far this year! (I've only built one...)   :)

On 03/08/2020 at 16:08, Spitfire31 said:

What an impossibly superb Firebrand! And 1:72nd? 'Scuse me, while I pick up my jaw from the desk…

Thanks Joachim. You must have a very tall desk...    :)

On 03/08/2020 at 18:12, CedB said:

Stunning Bill, another masterpiece for the collection :) 

Thanks Ced. I'm just about out of room to add anything to my collection. I suppose I could hang it from the ceiling - where have I seen that before?

On 03/08/2020 at 18:15, TheBaron said:

Completely.

Entirely.

Wholly.

Work to be proud of Bill. 👏

Thanks. It may not be complete, though, as there are some parts left.

On 03/08/2020 at 18:34, tonyot said:

Oh WOW Bill,..... it looks fabulous and what a beast of an aeroplane eh? Another superb addition to your fantastic collection,

All the best mate,

Tony

Thanks Tony! I like beasts - too bad it didn't last long in service but that was the case for a lot of early post-war aircraft. Technology was changing so fast back then.

On 04/08/2020 at 04:50, Duncan B said:

Great to see Bill back with another hideous beauty, man you like those ugly fugly FAA types but you do manage to make them look good.

Thanks Duncan. A hideous beauty - interesting description. And to think it was originally intended to be a fighter!

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wonderful model Bill, I enjoyed the WiP, I really reckon this is just the bees knees. Bloody fantastic, even the little fan blades. ;) :D

Thanks Steve. Let me tell you, I wasn't using any superlatives when I was putting those little fan blades on! They're about 1 mm square - yikes! I needed an extra dram of single malt to keep my hands from shaking. Well, maybe it was several extra drams, I can't remember.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Let's see, the model I'm building now is also resin. Maybe I should make it an all-resin year. So what resin kits are left in the stash? DH.88, A2D, XF8U-3, XF-103, XF-108, XF-109 - or maybe not. Those sound like a lot of work!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks Chris. I'm OK - I'll be seeing the ENT oncologist tomorrow to see what he thinks about my tonsils. I had them looked at by my regular oncologist and he thought they looked normal, so that begs the question why they looked so bright on the PET scan. I guess we'll find out soon. In the meantime, I found out I have basal cell (skin) cancer yesterday. NO big deal, just watch out for those little thingies and hack 'em when you find them. Getting old is not for sissies!

Crikey Bill, hope you are okay and fingers crossed for the scan results too.  This getting old malarky is not nice is it.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

@Navy Bird

Dayam, Bill! That is one gorgeous model! I don't care what anyone else says- I think the Firebrand and Mauler are big, beautiful brutes! About as perfect a model as I have seen in a long time. Glad to hear the medical issues aren't serious, too! Keep on keepin' on!

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 05/08/2020 at 15:04, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Bill, hope you are okay and fingers crossed for the scan results too.  This getting old malarky is not nice is it.

Thanks. The ENT oncologist did a pretty thorough exam of the old tonsils, and he was sure that I do not have tonsillitis or any inflammation, so I have to get a biopsy. Most likely the lymphoma is active again. I'm scheduled to have the tonsils removed on August 28. Since the doctor saw evidence of the prior resection (when I was 10), this will be the second time I've had them removed! Bad penny, I guess. Ha - just like the lymphoma.

He also said "getting your tonsils out when you're 65 is not the same as getting them out when you were 10." Gee, thanks for that! I guess I don't get to eat ice cream for two weeks?   :)

Off to put another coat of Dark Sea Blue on the Mauler. Maybe I should update that thread...     :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Sad 2

It's come out beautifully Bill. Without the tins of paint there, it looks much bigger, a credit to the neatness of your work. I think you can be excused on output this year, looking after yourself is far more important. Quality certainly hasn't slipped despite those pesky illnesses getting in the way :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1