Revell's -um, Eduard's 1/48 Camel

Johnny Tip Residence, the modeller of the house speaking! Oh, it's you, Camel! -it's my WIP, Camel, the one with the many rigging cables to do, and room for PE parts unsupplied!

Back and forth - and the first preparations for the dreaded threading:

f37be90899f31ab1a0d001a196d02261.jpg

Mmh...Bruce has done what!? He's drilled holes in the cockpit cover to fit the clear sewing thread? But will it still fit onto the fuselage?

Aah, he's also cut out a bit of the plastic on which the thread would come to rest -and thus destroy the fit of the thing.

fcb176a998deccd46eb5cf48811b3fd6.jpg

That's better. The engine has received some more attention and doesn't look as clean any more.

Let me leave the Bucket woman behind me :) While that dried I started work on the ...well...the strange thingy that seems to hold two crossing cables together above the guns... anyone know what it really is, and what it is for? Anyway, I did some work -Progress seen clockwise beginning in the upper left:

22f71b110c34b46e133a5a52ba896cb9.jpg

I tried rounding the front of the thing a bit more, and it went off though seemingly half the room -so this has to do as it is (well, almost).

Next came the cover for the Clerget, and I found out that the fit wasn't as great as I hoped it would be, for the Cockpit cover was slightly ahead of the rest of the fuselage... I hope I can fill the little trenches that will indubitably be created, but for the rest work went without much Problem.

b317af56058f06047b386b45b4d616d1.jpg

Horrific paintwork, just did it to better see the gaps.  oh yes, the elevators were installed, at least the front part. Right now I think my plane has everything to turn out great, or turn out plain awful. Which way will things go? Stay tuned for another episode of "Keeping up the appearance of a Camel"!

Comments welcome as always,

Johnny

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's been a while... but getting a place to build a hangar for my family took some time -it still isn't finished, but in the works. And so I managed to get some work done on Sopwith's Most Famous.

As foreshadowed, I did some painting and decalling/transferring.

0a02b3d412e3d808e6c033e8a10a4890.jpg

Travelling to work and back with wings stacked next to your lunch is a bad idea. But superglue did a good job. Actually, it was so nice I did it -you know what I mean.

In the end, it turned out like this.

d772b9033ce235a3edd51c1e9c85dcd8.jpg

Then came the big jump -I decided to do little loops for rigging.

ce1572b191f2023eb9ebc9c2c4fc4b10.jpg1d6b4b2b802302df3b2b31545b621dc8.jpg

843cc5c7d6ce3f46438e82f55746c4d0.jpg

Certainly not as hard to do as I had imagined. (that wing got another coat of paint before moving on)

Well... the great fun lay ahead. Unlike Airfix' 1/72 Tiger Moth, the struts are not held together for easy lineup, but each one is single... I decided to try and glue them onto the fuselage , and then add the top wing. (somehow I forgot to take pics of that, or cannot find them between kid pictures and kid "selfies")

6c325543f431b6b4282626120119fc92.jpg

Enough fun to make the struts REALLY fit into position, some of those loops needed a slight bending to not be in the way.

And just as I thought everything was going so well...

d4ccf8337086cb2b2ef536b06058e2af.jpg

It seems I am one of those dull men who can spend hours of looking at machinery, because when the thing came straight off during pickup from the table, I shrugged it off instead of bouncing it off the wall. I did make a mistake though -I let slip away the chance to insert the forgotten loops in the fuselage for those "top-front-outside to front-underside engine" wires. Damn, I ruined the joke!

Second try

2b346b4d46a7e9ff07c23cf133da1cc2.jpg

I always think the wing on the left droops more down than the other, but maybe it's just an optical Illusion... or too much thinking of @Mikey-1980's Problems with his build of the same thing...

b05fcfc9398bbc44fb78ffbc32ecca21.jpg

as I have looked at the real thing from all sides and cannot see anything worth correcting.

For the moment.

That has to be all for now, update guaranteed within the next ...ehm... months? Hangar building, or the planning and unprofessional supervision of it, will of course keep me occupied, but there is still my job, which has very much quieted down due to Covid striking back here in Germany, too (only that nobody seems to give a dang...) and should offer some time for extracurricular building.

Stay safe my fellow modellers, and dare I say, friends,

best of everything,

Johnny Tip

Edited by Johnny Tip
  • Like 4

Looking really good there @Johnny Tip and I completely understand your frustrations at the support struts.....it took me the best part of a week to do these. I even walked away from it for a few days as the kit was soon to become a member of Lord Flashhearts Air corps.......and launched through the nearest window....

Stick with it chap!

It will look resplendent when completed :)

tumblr_mryu0vjerW1sy769zo7_250.gifv

tumblr_mryu0vjerW1sy769zo3_250.gifv

tumblr_mryu0vjerW1sy769zo2_250.gifv

tumblr_mryu0vjerW1sy769zo6_250.gifv

• Thanks 1

Mikey, thank you for your compassion😁I will stay on it. Interfrastically. Meanwhile my Flash has lost his moustache... almost like his elizabethan ancestor. 

Btw, "ze basis off a whole cullcha" 😂

Edited by Johnny Tip
pericombobulation...
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just a very short update - the Camel has not met its untimely end, there even has been some progress in added struts, but no pics uploaded yet. Preparations for housebuilding are running hot, and some silly sickness has kept me away from modelling - not Covid, no. 

Stay safe, 

Flash will return. 

• Like 1

We built our own house in 2008 and it was probably  most complex and all engaging project I’ve ever done. So good luck with that. I did have a builder but ended up effectively as the developer as I also had a separate heating contractor ( went with geothermal), tiler, painter, paver, plumber, electrician, landscaper and architect and I also took care of all the planning, council and services and fittings.

The Camel is turning out well, you’ll definitely  need the hobby as a stress reliever as the house progresses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2020 at 09:31, Marklo said:

I did have a builder but ended up effectively as the developer as I also had a separate heating contractor ( went with geothermal), tiler, painter, paver, plumber, electrician, landscaper and architect and I also took care of all the planning, council and services and fittings.

My goodness! We have a builder too, but we'll just do the painting (duh), the floors, maybe interior doors, and landscaping - however, our garden will look like Passchendaele 1917 for the first few months... Did everything work out all right with your developing? 

Thank you for your kind words about my kite and the times coming. Hopefully, the swearing will be directed at my kitbuilding instead of our builder. 

Edited by Johnny Tip
forgot the floors - aaaaarghhhhhhh...
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good luck with the build as Mark said the modelling will be a release.  I am just finishing mine which is a loft conversion and it has been tough at times however a great learning experience and a proud feeling too.

Chris

Thank you Chris, hope your conversion turns out just fine! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

Thank you Chris, hope your conversion turns out just fine! 

Thanks fella,  only a couple of bits left but work is crazy busy at the moment and so quite tired so been having a few weekends off from the house,  I could get used to it too!!!

Good luck with your project and think of the experience you will be gaining  and the brownie points you will earn in the eyes of She Who Must Be Obeyed,  which are a great bargaining tool for modelling time!!!

Chris 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello chaps,

this is what our piece of land looked like yesterday morning...

spacer.png

and the same spot - recently dubbed "Hill 60" (by me, the joke was lost on everybody else) - today at noon:

spacer.png

(note: the building still stands upright - it's not ours, that picture was taken from a different angle)

Ere the thread fully turns into a WIP of my 1/1 scale home, let's get back to the topic... the Camel is coming! Terribly little has changed, but works have been restarted!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rigging this is a different experience, as the little loops certainly help stretching the threads, but I am not sure about those 4 metal threads from outside lower wing to inside top wing... at least the thing above the guns (still missing, as I notice now) ist in the middle and facing the right way.

I was very busy reading lots of boring papers concerning money, insurances and more insurances, and then, after the decisions were made, finally got the fire for my very own Shelf of Doom project, the 1/32 Wildcat with electricity inside -a different story, and ongoing, due to decals. But the Camel will now continue to come together.

Thanks for reading and waiting for so long!

• Like 3

Heeeereee's Johnny!

A record-breakingly fast update!

spacer.png

Last works on the rigging...  the first time I'm doing steering cables on a plane. Most of you advanced modellers will have nothing but a gentle, my-modelling-honor-preserving smile, but for my first in this scale, I'm rather satisfied with it.

spacer.png

The metal thread experiment may well be considered a failure, but all those other good okay cables sort of hide them (I hope). Of course, the areas of hard work and glue will need some touching up... but I still have to do some decals as well.

spacer.png

Here is, I guess, the part with the most superglue on the kit - that son of a gun-tailskid kept breaking off, and two of those little guiding pins for the steering cables didn't make it off the sprue intact -and still need paint, as I now see. But I only just saw that the bottom of the fuselage needs to be painted dark, anyway. 

The Camel fever got me good at last, so it won't be long til Flash can inspect his new mount (after all, he wrecked his old one outside Blackadder's trench...). Anyone know his real first name? Jonathan or something like that... would explain the J marking. Then again, Flashheart would probably call his plane by a more naughty name... who knows.

So much for now, I guess it won't be long til this one gets RFI'ed, and followed up on the bench by the Albatross, the Nieuport or the SE5a in my stash.

Bye and thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Finally, the plodding on has come to an end - there wasn't much left to do, but it took me some time.

Thanks to everybody occasionally peeping in here and providing tips (I still need them, hence the name? :) ), another stringbag will be coming sooner or later. 

Goodbyeeee,

Johnny Tip

• Like 2