Revell's -um, Eduard's 1/48 Camel

Hi everyone,

and welcome to my first -and thus worst- WIP! I have no specific mount in mind, I might do one of the famous pilots' ones (MacLaren, or maybe Flasheart)...

Work has already begun:

spacer.png

It's easy to see that I experienced some difficulties with the VERY hard material...

a0b76fbcc6b9bb3fa2cb411a07a20ec3.jpg

...and that I use hairy sticks for applying paint.

The pilot's seat was a tricky one: two are supplied, one single piece to use some decals on, and a two piece frame to use with PE parts (which I don't have). Having some time (at work!) I chose the second Option with some fiddly work:

ba0bcdfd51a0a24f67546ecc14986630.jpg

Yes, I have taken up weaving... of course, nothing like the real thing, but the closest I could manage.

f1778fea2076b077001c861fefde221d.jpg

It looks rather beaten when looked at so closely, but from afar

f2b6e42850f99ed57ce9517a8c327184.jpg

good enough for me. (unless anyone here convinces me different)

So far everything went well, the big problems will rise later... I know there have been several threads about rigging (heh), but I still don't know which ones to put where. That will be the point I could certainly use help and advice from the plenum!

So much for now and thanks for reading,

Johnny

• Like 9

Welcome to the fray! Looks good so far. I think the seat looks great, much better than plain plastic. If you stick a couple of pieces of masking tape on to make a lap belt, it would look the absolute business. Looking forward to more. Nothing wrong with hairy sticks either. 

Rigging you have three real choices, excluding the super-scale exotica:

1. elastic thread, secured with a tiny blob of superglue at each end. If you dip the end of the thread in superglue accelerator then when it touches to the far end it sets immediately. That's the theory. Be prepared for 20-50% of attempts to have the thread rebound immediately when you let go.
  2. Drill holes through the wings and into the fuselages, secure one end of invisible mending thread or fiishing line in one hole, then when that's all dry feed it through the other hole and secure with superglue, keeping it taut until dry. Then cut off ends and tidy up.
  3. Cut pieces of straighened wire of stretched sprue to length, then secure with a dab of white/PVA glue at each end.

You will need tweezers for all of them and fine drills (0.5mm and under, from eBay - it's OK to break them) for #2.

I've used all three methods and whenever I've chosen one of them I wish at some point I'd chosen one of the other two ;). But rigging (even if you don't do all of it and just do the main "X"s) does add quite a lot to the finished model.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Adrian for your explanations! I've toyed around a lot with rigging 1/72 kits (saved my Stringbag , when it fell off the table onto the floor -no softening carpet- nothing happened. I couldn't believe it), the new question mark are the fasteners/loops/whatever is used. In the bigger scale, I plan on at least mimicking some correct rigging, and

- I don't want to use the aforementioned multi-part super-scale exotica, and

- I won't be using self-made loops made from wire.

(although, weaving a seat isn't that far away from it)

Question is, where to simulate loops, and where to simply fasten it to the wing? (I drill and glue, btw)

Anyway, it will take me some time to arrive at that stage...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

welcome to my first

Nice to see another Camel build in BM.  Doubt it will be your worst as you seem to have a handle on it so far.  Following.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

fell off the table onto the floor -no softening carpet- nothing happened

I've had that happen with an Airfix Albatros (quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Swordfish). No damage, but I didn't want to try it again!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

I recently used an old revell 1/48 camel to practice rigging on. 

I did however use fuse wire to make little loops. It really wasn't that bad with a hook to wind them on to. 

20200713_170356

I made about 1 a minute. I just cut lengths of wire then wrapped it around the loop. Twist. Repeat. 

The results weren't bad. The model isn't great. It's one of my old ones. 

20200728_101123

20200728_110005

That's not all the rigging required for this model. But I'd suggest getting everything ready before you put the top wing on. As I couldn't really reach on this completed model. 

🐧 

• Like 3

Having tried many rigging methods my current favourite is fishing line with blind holes held with CA.

50133299598_e3dce276b9_c.jpg

I’m just about finished my Sopwith triplane using EZ line.

50148677502_5be815c09b_c.jpg

Which is nice to work with ( once you get the hang of it) but I think is just a little too thin for 1/48 particularly RAF wires which I think were quite thick and lacquered black.

Oh and don’t forget Moa’s method of using sera mic fibres.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Nice to see another Camel build in BM.  Doubt it will be your worst as you seem to have a handle on it so far.  Following.

Dennis

thanks for the encouragement Dennis. I've done two in 1/72, but now I like em bigger. Welcome aboard

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

gradually getting through the shelf of doom builds and will move onto

Thank you Chris! If I got a penny every time I thought that about my 1/32 Wildcat... but Nooo, I wanted to put electricity in it, position lights, engine and all. And now I won't let myself back out of it.

3 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

I did however use fuse wire to make little loops. It really wasn't that bad with a hook to wind them on to. 

I made about 1 a minute. I just cut lengths of wire then wrapped it around the loop. Twist. Repeat. 

I'd suggest getting everything ready before you put the top wing on. 

That looks great for practice! People may say zat I am stark raving mad and say ze word 'Pengvin' after each sentence, but I will have to at least rethink about making loops King Penguin! 

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Having tried many rigging methods my current favourite is fishing line with blind holes held with CA.

EZ line.

Which is nice to work with ( once you get the hang of it) but I think is just a little too thin for 1/48 particularly RAF wires which I think were quite thick and lacquered black.

Oh and don’t forget Moa’s method of using sera mic fibres.

Thank you for the many options Marklo! I'm afraid I will have to frequent my favourite webshop once again no matter what... 

Edited by Johnny Tip
  • Like 2

It's a great start Johnny. Don't be intimidated by the rigging. In 1/48 it's a very good choice to avoid after market attachments and especially turnbuckles which weren't present on the Camel.

Even in 1/32 I just used EZ line for control wires and Prym elastic thread for the flying wires and glued directly to the model. It made life a lot easier and the results were OK. Many use loops and after market attachments with superb results but they have better eyes, steadier hands and far more skill than me.

Oh, like Adrian said, I often wished I had opted for a different method during the process. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, RichieW said:

turnbuckles which weren't present on the Camel.

Lucky me! At least a bit easier. Thank you for your kind words.

Work has moved on a bit -can anyone spot the PE strap for the rudder pedals?

b1ef832422d772eae63b5496c4d90fa0.jpg

erm...

I was lucky to spot it

89580defe16c193906004c7803e55d29.jpg

and a second time after whipping out the cell phone.

This was where it ended up with its twin

088aed30404abcae961a0ebd3eb5acd0.jpg

The pieces are from the Hurricane PE parts - they would have disappeared from sight in that cockpit. The IP also got some attention

a953c5805f938de5acef7bd75c001d9b.jpg

The instruments received a layer of uv-curing lacquer to simulate glass and keep the decals on position.

And here with all other bits:

30aaa6d709c5479bc17887d9dc894f7e.jpg

Finally a test fitting of the fuselage:

b7c0ae8031bba934cbccf47d3c35f2eb.jpg

We'll all see how things will develop from here:)

Thanks for watching,

Johnny

Edited by Johnny Tip
pic host finally yielded
  • Like 3

Nothing much to report on the Camel... but I made a figure just in case...

7ea705d0e8309dcd0615cc9b647a2b96.jpg

In the light of the new day I see a lot of spots where I'll have to put a bit more paint. The fig was part of the US 1/48 crew set that came with my P-47D, I supplied new boots and a Holster, the rest was paper. Okay, let's talk about how amazingly attractive he is!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 8/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, Johnny Tip said:

We'll all see how things will develop from here:)

Carry on Cameling (ouch!).

Dennis

• Like 1

This is a great start and having built this very kit at the beginning of the year, it is both a joy and a pain in the proverbial to build.

Looking forward to seeing your progress too :)

Also, LOVE the Lord Flashheart connection too :)

Remember.....always treat your lady like you treat your kite!

83R7.gif

• Haha 4

Looking really good, I love the seat and the instrument panel is gorgeous!

I just did my first rigging in 1/72 scale. I used guitar string ( 0.007 gauge) which is easy to handle, it doesn't curl and I don't expect it to sag over time. I measured the distance with dividers, cut to length and fitted it by dipping the ends in CA glue (I could have been neater). I think it looks ok at this scale. Next time I will try to fit as many wires as possible before fitting the top wing, for easier access.

For larger scales you could use heavier strings.

Another benefit is that if the model turns out to be a dog you can still play the blues on it :)

IMG-20200806-101859.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have one of these semi started. I’m planning on the Uss Texas colour scheme as I have more than enough PC 10 on the shelf. I also have a snipe, a dolphin and a swallow at the same stage, maybe next after the Caproni is finished ( although I may go for the DII and the JI first) decisions, decisions :) 

Edited by Marklo

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Carry on Cameling (ouch!).

Dennis

Will do, today was drilling time - little holes for the threads to fit through. Thanks about the figure, I try to keep him in shape

10 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

This is a great start and having built this very kit at the beginning of the year, it is both a joy and a pain in the proverbial to build.

Oh yes! I remember talking about having to do one too, and then things went dark for me... I will take a nother peek to warn me of the dangers imminent, so I won't want to kick myself in the elbow. 

8 hours ago, Jur said:

Another benefit is that if the model turns out to be a dog you can still play the blues on it

😂😂😂 No such need with your stearman, looks great. 

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

maybe next after the Caproni is finished ( although I may go for the DII and the JI first) decisions, decisions :) 

unless something else pops up... or out of your cupboard. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great! Loving the seat. Personally I use EZ line for rigging. I glue one end let it dry then take the other end to where it’s going and with extra line (length) I add a bit of blu-tac to hold in place then glue. When cured just trim to suit. Check out my HP o-400 build. There was a lot of line on that one. I do love the camel though. Great little flash heart too. 👍 I’ll tag slang if I may. 

Johnny

• Like 1

Thanks Chris!

Holy Moses Johnny, that is one load of rigging you did there! even in 1/72! I will keep the blu-tac hint in the back of my head...

The heat wave kept me from unpacking my tools on the PC/writing/accounts/dinner/whatever-table, and it also put the thought in my head to do another LRDG truck, this time without the radio, as a mate for my T patrol example. Just my dumb luck that they are sold now only with the Master Box figs -which I bought for the first one, great as they are.

Ask me what's it got to do with the Sopwith Camel!

(insert question here)

Nothing!

Seems I've gone doolally.

I did however manage to connect the fuselage to the bottom wing - Tatatataaa!

018e7ee2c6bf18a17e3345d99ab836db.jpg

it wasn't as easy as it seemed, but I was expecting it after re-reading @Mikey-1980 's thread. Hope my eyesight doesn't betray me...

37d37087ce9923d1a4525ad515a3f5ef.jpg

Yes, I couldn't help it, I had to put a little paint on it.

As I said earlier, this Cockpit might not be as deep and dark as the usual ww2suspects, so, for the first time in my life, I connected wires to the controls. Well, not really. I glued wire from an old (and here, of all fields of modelling, language fails me?) "electric cable" to the floor, close to the control column.

I also glued some more to the rudder pedals -matter of fact, I DID connect some to the controls! - and while it isn't as visible as I had thought (or hoped), I an happy with the results. For now. Have a look yourselves.

70736fc7a75615954318a2823660bc65.jpg

Now that I look at it, it seems one has gone missing in action... AAAAARRRRGH! Oh well, can't be helped, can't be helped. (or maybe it can.)

That's all for my mini-update, but as temperatures have dwindled just a little bit, I can't get a hold of the LRDG Chevy, and I acquired some more 48-ish wired wings, progress is sure to happen!

Thanks for reading and looking,

Johnny "Goshawk Squadron"

• Like 2