Humbrol New acrylic Range

jenko

Just got the new Airfix magazine, with it is the new Humbrol paint chart.

Be aware they have dropped a lot of colours from the range.

Stock up while you can.

Dick

Edited by jenko

39 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Is your new chart the same one that you can download from the Humbrol website? It would be good to be able to work out which colours have been discontinued.

Cheers,

Mark.

HTH

DPP_01

DPP_02

Top pic. is last years chart with the new one under it.

And a bad view of my feet....sorry.

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenko said:

Just got the new Airfix magazine, with it is the new Humbrol paint chart.

Be aware they have dropped a lot of colours from the range.

Stock up while you can.

Dick

35 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Is your new chart the same one that you can download from the Humbrol website? It would be good to be able to work out which colours have been discontinued.

Cheers,

Mark.

From a brief eyeballing of that paint guide, I can't see anything missing that hadn't already been discontinued. There are some paints (at least 14 Enamel) that on guide not available for purchase via the Humbrol web site, but I find it difficult to believe the likes of matt yellow (24) has got the chop. Much more likely it's currently out of stock.

30 minutes ago, jenko said:

HTH

DPP_01

DPP_02

Top pic. is last years chart with the new one under it.

And a bad view of my feet....sorry.

Dick

It's hard to be sure of those colours given the very low resolution (only 640 x 480 pixels), although they do appear to be sorted by numerical sequence within finish. I find it quite hard to believe that Humbrol would reduce the number of matt paints in its range from > 100 to just 40, and that 40 including some really esoteric shades (for military modellers) like Pastel Green (36), Bright Green (37), Violet (42), Pastel Blue (44), Pink (57) and Magenta (58). Nor do I find it even remotely credible that Humbrol would drop the likes of 165 Medium Sea Grey (satin), or most of the US satin greys, or RLM 65 (65), or cockpit green (78), etc. Not unless it's intent on commercial suicide.

Edited by klr
  • Like 2

Bear in mind that other people use Humbrol paints than military/aviation modellers.  Also that the keenest military/aviation modellers don't rely on Humbrol paints for their camouflage colours anyway.  However surprising from their (our) point of view, perhaps Humbrol have noticed which of the range don't sell?

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Bear in mind that other people use Humbrol paints than military/aviation modellers.  Also that the keenest military/aviation modellers don't rely on Humbrol paints for their camouflage colours anyway.  However surprising from their (our) point of view, perhaps Humbrol have noticed which of the range don't sell?

I'm aware of that, but if Humbrol were effectively exiting this part of the market, why leave the likes of Hu 163 & Hu 164 (but not Hu 165 or 166, etc.) in its range?

As to the second point: Yes, I understand that as well, but for a great many UK modellers, Humbrol is the main (if not only) range of paints readily available to them, and it's probably been that way for decades. Airfix has quoted Humbrol paints exclusively for about 30 years, and before that, Matchbox did. Heller kits have also quoted Humbrol for a long time.

Edited by klr

One more point: Does anyone else not find it just a little bit strange that such a drastic culling of the Humbrol range would be first published via Airfix, and not Humbrol?

And related to this: If correct, why would Airfix publish this, given that it would mean that Humbrol was no longer fit for purpose for the bulk of the Airfix product range?

Heller only referred to Humbrol paints when owned by Humbrol.  Arguably, many of the Humbrol paints quoted by Airfix are not fit for purpose anyway?  At least for the more serious modeller.

As to why Airfix should publish it, you will have to ask them.

This is ONLY for the new Acrylic range and not the enamels as well.

I have the colour chart in front of me as i type - and yes it does seem a small range : 44 matt, 9 satin, 19 gloss & 9 metallic colours (none of the RLM colours are on it)! 

It could be that this is the initial range, and they could expand it over time. 

This is the front of the new colour chart that no one has shown yet, which clearly shows that it is for the acrylic dropper bottles ONLY!

spacer.png

Edited by treker_ed
amended images
  • Like 3

My apologies gentlemen I have screwed up. I took the chart to cover the whole range including enamel. Not thinking straight.

Must be having a major senior moment.

My apologies again for not putting brain in gear.

Dick

• Like 4

I got one of these - read it as a new additional range of dropper bottle paints.  I did wonder what the purpose of these was and decided that it might be to try and muscle in on the table top wargaming scene like bolt action and warhammer.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Be interesting to get confirmation if they are going to add the missing RAF, US and RLM ones later, also looking forward to trying some out

I posted the question in the Humbrol section on the Airfix forum. As yet, no response. But I think it will be a case of wait and see how they sell, and they may expand the range.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nheather said:

I got one of these - read it as a new additional range of dropper bottle paints.

Cheers,

Nigel

The dropper bottles are not an  additional range. They are to replace the existing acrylic paint pots which are being phased out - several paint pot colours are already sold out.

2 hours ago, pigsty said:

Now that we know it's not the end of the world, that's still scheduled for Friday, it might be an idea to edit the thread title ...

Done, but the whole thread needs culling.

Dick