Sdkfz. 182 w/o zimmerit ???

Zack

Hi,
I am digging deeper and deeper into my pile of SOD items and have excavated 2 King Tiger kits.
One Academy "Last Production and a Zvezda (Dragon).
Both are delivered with no ZImmerit detail.

Now - I have been googling around quite a bit to see if I could find any pictures of actual vehicles in such configuration?

Not trying to break any copy right rules here - just want to see if there is anything out there that can be used as reference.

Keep safe and happy modelling!

Zack

• Like 1

I have a massive collection of Tiger and Tiger 2  photos and i can say that in my collection i have far more pics of King Tigers without zimmerit than with and almost if not all of Kampfgruppe Pipers Tigers used during the Ardennes offensive were zimmerit free...i would post the pics but i don't have the room on my free hosting account to do that..... i could always do you a zip file with some of the pics i have and email them to you or maybe even put it into my Drive account and send a link to you so you can take them from there.

• Thanks 1

Hi,
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!
I think your confirmation is what I was looking for.
Will get my Google searches a bit more narrow in terms of scope using the keywords in your post:
Kampfgruppe, Piper, Ardennes.
Could you help with turret number(s) and/or unit reference(s) then I am pretty sure I'm home.

Keep safe and happy modelling!

Zack

• Like 1

If you want codes for Pipers Tigers that shouldn't be a problem.....give me a day or so to go through my collection and i will try to get codes and their respective commanders listed for you.

Any vehicle built After September '44 would have no Zimmerit. 

Lots of the Tigers in the Ardennes had no Zimmerit. Seelow Hights and Lake Balaton battles, and of course the battle for Berlin. 

Hope this helps....

Lee.

Afew links you may find interesting 

Above is one of Kampfgruppe Peiper's Tigers but also touches on other vehicles of the same company as you can see no zim on any of these....

Most of Kampfgruppe Peiper's Tigers were painted in the tri color ambush scheme and the numbering system on the turret side's was a light blue with yellow edging

and this book may be helpful

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qasREyrWMBgfKaUf-jdcN3r057yBJZZf/view?usp=sharing

Hi Lee,

Thank you for the hint, I should have thought about that.
Wiki states 379 built in 1944 and 112 in 1945.

So by simple logic those production numbers are answering my question.

And thank you for those links M3talpig.
I notice that a lot has been posed and uploaded since my latest scan on the subject ( back in 2013 🙃 ).
If you are interested in Tigers as such, I notice your Profile picture is a 181, you might want to check out TIIF.de.
I just reactivated my account, loads of reference material on there.

Thank you for taking your time to answer  my question and helping out with those links.

I guess I will continue my search for a battle for Berlin profile. Peiper's story is a bit to black for me.

Stay safe and happy modelling!

Zack

• Like 2

I have been searching this out myself. A lot of Pz Abt. 501 Konigstigers from the Ardennes offensive

were without zimmerit. So far I have found turret numbers 213, 222, 223, 332 and I think 008 to be

Henschel turret machines with no zimmerit. I know for a fact from seeing the tank the U. S. Army brought

back from the Ardennes, turret 332, which now resides in the Patton Tank Museum had no zimmerit. I

believe the Konigstiger in the Munster museum in Germany is also zimmerit free, it was knocked out

in France 1944 and was originally turret number 121. HTH---John