1/32 - Avro 504K by Roden - in project - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

Roden is likely to release a 1/32nd Avro 504K in late 2022

Source: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11367.0

Roden has announced it is resuming production of WW1 aircraft kits and our Forum's poll (link) on the most wanted new kits has been an influence in their decision to resume WW1 production.
Roden President Vladimir Chumak has been greatly encouraged by our poll and our enthusiasm for Roden to produce new WW1 aircraft kits and says the first of the new kits is likely to be released early next year.
At this stage they are focusing on 1/32 scale to test the market, and I'm delighted to say our forum poll number one wish- the Spad XIII - has been added to the likely first new releases. Two other poll highlights- the Avro 504K and Sopwith One and a Half Strutter - comprise the intended first three releases. The sequence of releases is yet to be decided.
Roden's return to new production of WW1 aircraft is a consequence of Wingnuts closing down and our Forum has been a major influence in the decision, which I think is a world first for model websites! Well done everyone and huge thanks to you all for your support of the Roden poll.
Vladimir says Roden have been closely following our forum and taking note of the forum members' wishes and this is significant.
At this stage Roden are not committing themselves on new 1/48 and 1/72 scale subjects but if the customer demand is there and we support them with sales, all things are possible.
This is all great news for the Forum and I'm very proud of what our online community has achieved.
More details will be published later but in the meantime celebrate the news that more 1/32 aircraft kits are on the way!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia 

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Hallelujah! They're finally kitting the most beautiful bipe ever created (with nods to the Fury and Fox)  - you could dine out on reboxes of this for years! Different engines, floats, skis three seater pax version, the more meaty 504N ... well happy!

Will be keeping my personal fingers crossed for a lovely civvy boxing and a 504N as well as a K.....

TT

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The Avro 504 sounds very interesting but hopefully it won't be just the K version though...  I'm hoping that they will do an original 504 (or it will be tooled in such a way that it can be easily converted to one) as I would love to be able to build a replica of my great grandfather's one which was shot down in 1914.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul H said:

The Avro 504 sounds very interesting but hopefully it won't be just the K version though...  I'm hoping that they will do an original 504 (or it will be tooled in such a way that it can be easily converted to one) as I would love to be able to build a replica of my great grandfather's one which was shot down in 1914.

You may (and me) be in luck. Roden usually make the most of their tooling regarding possible versions, although in the past this has lead to criticism because of the 'extra work' entailed (shaving off a few redundant bits in the 1/72nd Albatrosses and Gothas for instance). Fair enough, that approach can complicate assembly if tolerances are lax, even Hasegawa occasionally get thumped for this, but when it comes to companies that used to be perceived as limited run there  historically seems little quarter given. Eduard used to explicitly use this as a stick when they decided to directly compete with Roden's 1/48th Fokkers. I for one would much rather do a bit of extra work with Roden's kits than pay half as much again to have it done for me by another manufacturer, or in the case of the 504 series not have the option at all. If I want to assemble something easy I'll do a puzzle.

Then again, they may be attracted to the separate boxing approach seeings how it went down well with WNW, which is fine so long as they actually do them. Since this is a toes in the water exercise to see if they sell well enough, they may limit the scope of their ambition.

Even though I prefer 1/72nd and 1/48th, I'm waiting with fingers crossed.

Paul.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing Roden's new approach to 1/32th scale WW1 airplane-kits materializing! Nice choice of subjects. I'll probably get at least one of each, not regarding their prices (I also bought every WnW kit I wanted). BUT for a lasting success Roden HAS to improve on their kit's quality! They MUST become better!

Says a hardcore CSM fan.

• 5 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Avro 504K by Roden - in project - release late 2022

Source: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12698.msg236807#msg236807

Roden have just advised me that they are proceeding with development of two more 1/32 scale WW1 kits for 2022.
The Spad XIII Late will be released first (link) but Vladimir says the Sopwith One and a Half Strutter is now definitely on the production list for a mid-2022 release and they confirm a 1/32 scale Avro 504 will be released toward the end of the year (2022).
Vladimir says Roden is persevering with its re-launched WW1 line, despite sales of the Spad XIII Early falling short of their hopes.
Roden re-launched its WW1 production line after a detailed Forum poll identified the wanted kits.
The message here is clear folks- if we want Roden and the other manufacturers to deliver more plastic goodness we need to be supporting them as much as possible.
Large scale WW1 aircraft still have a future thanks to Roden, Copper State and Lukgraph leading the field and a new Aviattic kit in development too.  There's still plenty of wind under the wings for our hobby!
Dave Wilson - Gold Coast - Australia

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Avro 504 ticks all the boxes.

Multiple versions possible, from the very early bombers and Zeppelin interceptors via the standard Avro 504K trainer (rotaries and inline engines) to the later Lynx powered versions in RAF service. 

Markings variations, 504Ks were used by several air arms besides the RAF during and after WW1 - and colourful civilian fly circuses after the war.

Relatively well known even if it was mainly employed as a trainer.

Reasonable size in 1/32 - it is a medium sized two-seater.

Surviving examples and plans should be available to base the kit on.

A lack of decent kits in any scale, I would be happy to see Roden shrinking the kit to 1/48 and 1/72 as well.

I know of no Avro 504 kit in 1/32, in 1/48 we had the ancient Smer kit and in 1/72 the 50+ years old Airfix and Amodels undernourished offshoot.  

Why Wingnut skipped the Avro 504K is a mystery to me

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

A lack of decent kits in any scale, I would be happy to see Roden shrinking the kit to 1/48 and 1/72 as well.

I know of no Avro 504 kit in 1/32, in 1/48 we had the ancient Smer kit and in 1/72 the 50+ years old Airfix and Amodels undernourished offshoot.  

Why Wingnut skipped the Avro 504K is a mystery to me

In 1/48th there was a very good limited run kit by Blue Max. Not that I'd complain if there was a new one.

Paul.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Interesting to see they are starting at 1/32 and, not going to expand into 1/72 &1/48 until "market demand" is there. I'd have thought that, with these being the most popular modelling scales, they might have started with the smaller scales and, worked upwards?  There is clearly a market for 1/32 WWI kits but, I wonder how large?

There wasn't...until WNW came along.  I resisted buying WNW kits, as I was building in 1/48 for First World War subjects.  Then they offered a Sopwith Triplane...

I'm not at all certain that 1/48 isn't the right scale, though.  I'm a big believer in what I call the Rule of 250...that an assembled kit MUST fit onto a rectangle of 250 square inches (think 16 x 16).  Any larger, and you have problems figuring out where to put the blasted thing.  In 1/32, a single-seat fighter fits this.  A single-engine two-seater is marginal...and the multi-engine stash queens that choked WNW don't come anywhere close to meeting that limit.

Just for the sake of those who may not have followed the last few decades of WW1 aircraft modelling:

Their (Roden's) market was initially 1/72nd, then 1/48th, then after a few years they brought out their line of 1/32nd kits, presumably because there were already a small number about, like the Academy Nieuport 17. Then WNW started up, and although treading carefully with their avowed policy of not duplicating kits already available did eventually compete directly with their DH2 and Sopwith Triplane.  Around the same time Eduard started mentioning here and their how much nicer (i.e. easier to build) their own kits were, notably the Fokker D.VIIs and Bristol Fighter in 1/48th. Roden withdrew (or expanded, depending on your point of view) into other genres. Then they asked for a poll to be run on that big Australian based WW1 modelling forum as to what to offer if they dipped their toes back in, and that forum consists largely of 1/32nd modellers drawn to the subject by WNW kits. Hence what is now being offered. That's my memory of it anyway.

Whatever, if you want WW1 aircraft kits at the moment in 1/32nd then there are probably more adequate but old school kits than you think from various manufacturers, and a very few very high quality kits from Copper State Models (who say they really hardly break even on them, which is why they concentrate on armoured cars ) and Aviattic. Now, while I'd much prefer kits in 1/72nd or 1/48th, I really applaud Roden for trying to get back into it, and will buy at least one of anything they produce so long as I can afford it, in the perhaps futile hope of their later returning to more civilised scales. Which is why I'm really glad to see the Avro and Strutter coming, because they're to my mind important, overlooked and attractive aircraft.

I just hope the decals improve, and those who have bad experiences of them don't just post on internet forums but actually and politely tell Roden, so they might just learn and improve.

Paul.

11 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

In 1/48th there was a very good limited run kit by Blue Max. Not that I'd complain if there was a new one.

Paul.

The Blue Max kit is hard to get hold of (limited run of 1500) and goes for 50-60 USD/GBP/EUR + postage on eBay.

So what version is Roden likely to go for first - the trainer or the anti-Zeppelin fighter?

I have little hope for the Dyak (inline) engined version flown and preserved in Norway - fortunately did we also have some of the standard rotary engined aircraft as well.

15 hours ago, RHWinter said:

Why Wingnut skipped the DH.4 is a mystery to me. Especially considering their owner (TVAL?) has one.. 

He/they has/have two - an original on display at Omaka:

cc7f683c-ce59-4718-9354-5a0f9d2c2023_zps2jtrdam3_34842644284_o 5093e270-d4b1-4a62-b527-4a931498e94e_zpsn5k7suqq_35514485102_o

and the flying reproduction built by (IIRC) Century Aviation, both American-built variants. The flying aircraft is a treat to watch and is surprisingly nimble. 

dsc_0402_47189391721_o dsc_0482_46275144695_o

And for that matter, taking us further off topic, there's the many members of the BE family the same entity has restored/built that Wingnut Wings never kitted but there's demand for...

be-lineup-cropped_zpsmjiyo49w_35702633375_o

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

The Blue Max kit is hard to get hold of (limited run of 1500) and goes for 50-60 USD/GBP/EUR + postage on eBay.

So what version is Roden likely to go for first - the trainer or the anti-Zeppelin fighter?

I have little hope for the Dyak (inline) engined version flown and preserved in Norway - fortunately did we also have some of the standard rotary engined aircraft as well.

I guess we've been lucky over here - even relatively recently they were easy to find at shows, and the last one I got was in 2019 from SMW, for £12.00. Agreed Ebay prices are usually silly, but that applies to many other things there too. Mind you Freightdog were still selling a few around 10 years or so, and they were already 2-3 times Colin's price on Ebay.

I'd expect a trainer version, and perhaps also a home defense fighter in the same boxing, given Roden's penchant for moulding many options from the start. As for a Dyak version.............. I think you'll have to get out the old Windsock plans and some plastic card for that. although there was once a resin conversion in 1/72nd intended for the Airfix/ 90%Airfix clone market, so maybe a word in the right ear would bear fruit...............

Paul.