1/32 - Spad XIIIc by Roden - released - new boxing: XIIIc.1 late version

Homebee

Roden is to release a 1/32nd Spad XIII kit - ref. 634

Source: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11367.0

Roden has announced it is resuming production of WW1 aircraft kits and our Forum's poll (link) on the most wanted new kits has been an influence in their decision to resume WW1 production.
Roden President Vladimir Chumak has been greatly encouraged by our poll and our enthusiasm for Roden to produce new WW1 aircraft kits and says the first of the new kits is likely to be released early next year.
At this stage they are focusing on 1/32 scale to test the market, and I'm delighted to say our forum poll number one wish- the Spad XIII - has been added to the likely first new releases. Two other poll highlights- the Avro 504K and Sopwith One and a Half Strutter - comprise the intended first three releases. The sequence of releases is yet to be decided.
Roden's return to new production of WW1 aircraft is a consequence of Wingnuts closing down and our Forum has been a major influence in the decision, which I think is a world first for model websites! Well done everyone and huge thanks to you all for your support of the Roden poll.
Vladimir says Roden have been closely following our forum and taking note of the forum members' wishes and this is significant.
At this stage Roden are not committing themselves on new 1/48 and 1/72 scale subjects but if the customer demand is there and we support them with sales, all things are possible.
This is all great news for the Forum and I'm very proud of what our online community has achieved.
More details will be published later but in the meantime celebrate the news that more 1/32 aircraft kits are on the way!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia 

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Note they haven't said which of the 3 candidates will be first.  Happy for the 1/32nd people, and I suppose I'll have to get at least one of each to encourage them (see that invisible man behind me pointing a gun at my head?).  I won't whinge on here about it being the wrong scale, that would be ungracious. Oh, whoops, I did. Sorry...................

I am very happy to see them dipping their feet back in the WWI aircraft waters. I've always liked their kits.

Paul.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HMSLion said:

Well, if you want 1/48, I think both Dragon and Eduard have that in hand.

I'm not talking about the Spad or Strutter as a gimme it now in 1/48th because I do have both companies kits, and for that matter I'm happy with the Blue Max 504K and Roden Strutters. I meant more generally, for whatever they do afterwards if they stick in 1/32nd. My preferred scales are 1/72nd and 1/48th. But I'd rather they produced kits in 1/32nd than not at all. It all depends on what you like to do - I like to do several of a particular aircraft if the colour schemes are interesting, which I could neither afford to do, or have the space for, in larger scales.

What I was trying to avoid doing is what seems par for the course in these threads, the usual 'not my scale or type, why don't they do blah blah ? etc'.  And I admit, although I was trying to be tongue in cheek about it, I failed totally there.

Paul.

My biggest headache is quality.  WNW raised the bar.  Copper State seems to have been able to keep pace in 1/32, Eduard is awfully close in 1/48.  Roden's 1/32nd kits have a reputation (deserved) for being more than somewhat difficult to build.  If Roden gets their act together, they can make money...WNW was being dragged down by the selection of subjects.

Great news, can't wait to pick up some of these new kits. I have their Siemens and their Sopwith triplane and those kits look great.

Looks like I  will save loads of money. I don't trust Rodet with any of these and the choice of subjects leaves me cold, also at the price charged I would want decals that work.

I want an Abatros!:angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Spad XIII by Roden - in project - release Spring 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Spad XIII by Roden - box art+schemes+decals - release Spring 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Spad XIIIc by Roden - released
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sigh. They always release the less desirable version first. And yeah, I understand why. Still, I expect a later model is coming, based on the separate sprue with wing tips and ailerons. It certainly looks better than the now impossible to find Hobbycraft kit. Here's hoping for an American aces boxing!

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great, I’ll certainly be buying one. WW1 in 1/32 is an area that is sadly neglected particularly since WnW shut up shop. Roden and CSM are the only players really apart from a couple of Special Hobby offerings so anything new in this area is a reason for cheer.

Also looking forward to the Lukgraph FF33 which is due out soonish although being resin its not cheap.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered one of these for my birthday.  I just got rid of my two Hobbycrap 1/32 SPAD’s last year, never really liked the treatment of the wings. I was dreaming that WNW would eventually release one, well that isn’t going to come true now, so I am pretty happy about this. The SPAD XIII is my favourite WWI fighter, I even have 8mm movie film of me “flying” the Revell 1/28 SPAD XIII around the Christmas tree in ‘65. The options are welcome for SPAD aficionados, much like their SPAD VII kit. I can see some nice post war options as well. Hopefully, PART will do the same sets for the XIII as they have for the VII. Things have come a long way since 1965! I am grateful 😊 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received my Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII. There are lots of reviews already, however I have not seen any images of the actual decal sheet. For a new tool kit, the decal sheet is a huge disappointment! Translucent inks, the white is extremely uneven, out of register, questionable colours. This might be acceptable in the 60’s, but 60 years later, one would hope for some progress. Aftermarket decals or masks are very necessary with this kit. I also picked up another SPAD VII, and the decal sheet is just as bad. I had the SPAD VII when it first came out, and I don’t recall the decals on my first one looking this bad. 
I will post a photo tomorrow when I have better light.

Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII 

Roden 1/32 SPAD VII 

Untitled Artwork

Cheers

Jeff

On 8/4/2020 at 9:08 AM, KITCAT said:

Looks like I  will save loads of money. I don't trust Rodet with any of these and the choice of subjects leaves me cold, also at the price charged I would want decals that work.

I want an Abatros!:angrysoapbox.sml:

Well I did tell you.Hooray Rodet have provided another substandard product at a keen price so it follows do I buy the Avro 504 kit if and when it comes out. I do feel for all you Spads you likes.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Spad XIIIc by Roden - released - new XIIIc.1 late boxing
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Spad XIIIc by Roden - released - new boxing: XIIIc.1 late version
3 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Soon a new variant/boxing - ref. 636 - Spad XIII.c.1 Late

Source: http://roden.eu/HTML/framemodels1.html

XIII.png

V.P.

Excellent. The only problem is they didn't leave me enough time to build the first release yet. (And I disagree, Kitkat, it isn't a substandard product, except for the lousy decal sheet, as a quick look around the internet will show you - apart from the one silly error, which was to follow the Windsock plans slavishly and thus provide an undercarriage spreader bar that didn't have the upper skin on, which is annoying but easily fixed with some filler).

Paul.

I agree, the Roden kit is far superior to the hobbycrap kit. The decals in the hobbycrap kit weren’t that great either, I had both. The wings were the obstacle that prevented me from building mine years ago. I think most model manufacturers have a better understanding of the fabric and how it’s attached now. I would really like to see decals for Fernand Chavannes SPAD XIII, the spider and web are quite striking, just want them from a decal manufacturer, not Roden.

Jeff

You must be a brilliant customer Paul but me well I will never buy this kit but do hope it sells well and Roden release an Avro 504. I will take bets that if this happens we will get the trainer version first.

1 minute ago, KITCAT said:

You must be a brilliant customer Paul but me well I will never buy this kit but do hope it sells well and Roden release an Avro 504. I will take bets that if this happens we will get the trainer version first.

There should be an emoticon for 'biting my tongue'.

P.

23 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

There should be an emoticon for 'biting my tongue'.

P.

Your'e dead right Paul, Mind this site seems to struggle to insert an emoji. Anyway lets agree to disagree. To finish' at SMW I displayed my 3 Roden builds 2 of which had Roden decals these being an Albatros D111 OAW with it's dinosaur motive and a Pfalz D 111 with the with the heart with an arrow through it motive, So they CAN provide decals that work so maybe they should test what they are supplied with instead of just shoving them into the box.

1 minute ago, KITCAT said:

Your'e dead right Paul, Mind this site seems to struggle to insert an emoji. Anyway lets agree to disagree. To finish' at SMW I displayed my 3 Roden builds 2 of which had Roden decals these being an Albatros D111 OAW with it's dinosaur motive and a Pfalz D 111 with the with the heart with an arrow through it motive, So they CAN provide decals that work so maybe they should test what they are supplied with instead of just shoving them into the box.

The best decals I've ever used , and I'm not kidding or exagerating, were for a Roden Sopwith Camel. Colour and registration were spot on, images were sharp and not pixelated, and they went on beautifully - no setting solutions needed, and they just sucked down over the details to look like paint. Even wrote a review about it, forget where now. To say I was suprised is an underestimate, and to this day I don't know what went wrong.

For the record, most Roden decals (and I've built scores of their kits) that I've used looked fine, excepting those in the Spad XIII, 90 % went on okay but with a lot of care, and about half of those broke up a bit, hence the care needed. The other 10%  shattered. Except for the Camel. none have responded to decal setters, which is why I usually put them on a wet layer of Future/Kleer, and immediately seal in with a second layer. This draws them down adequately because it shrinks as it dries. Annoying to have to do though. This goes back to the company that gave rise to Roden, Toko. Back in the day the folk wisdom was that they used decals printed by the same technology used for the labels on kitchen equipment and the like, hence the lack of response from the carrier coat. Not a lot seems to have changed on that front.

Paul.

• Like 1