Airfix "A Bit of Lace" the boys own B-17

What they all said. Bl**dy brilliant. Brings back so many memories. Mine was painted overall gloss silver (obviously!) and I recall doing the wing chevrons in a peculiar, homemade purple mix; God knows why! But happy days...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

What they all said. Bl**dy brilliant. Brings back so many memories. Mine was painted overall gloss silver (obviously!) and I recall doing the wing chevrons in a peculiar, homemade purple mix; God knows why! But happy days...

I think you did it purple because that was what the instructions in that wonderful, old kit stated,

Michael

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/08/2020 at 04:16, kapam said:

I remember receiving this kit when I was a lad - must've been a Christmas or Birthday gift; I don't remember which.

The box art was definitely a prime attraction and Airfix were hardly surpassed (at the time) for inspiring the dreams of young modellers.

I particularly remember the retractable undercarriage which seemed an important feature to me as a kid. 

Your build turned out a thousand times better than mine did, although I wasn't as fussy (or skilled) then as I am now!

Thanks heaps for this stroll along memory lane. :thumbsup:

Really pleased you liked it, its amazing the memories a kit rekindles even after all these years.

You are a man after my own heart, I built this so the undercarriage retracts, all turrets turn and guns remain moveable and of course free spinning props !

cheers Pat 

On 06/08/2020 at 19:04, RJ-WobblyHands said:

That is cracking , a superb build !!

brings back memories of humbrol cement all over the paws and parents reminding me that scalpels are sharp - i think the interior of mine built in the 70's had dried blood in it !! 

Need to get the work , life, modelling balance back !! - only finished 2 models this year :( , I missed this GB unfortunately 

So true, a superb build had to do a double take at the inflight photo!

As a kid i built a lot but dont remember having this one on the roof. After watching "The War Lover" last week I looked at the B 17 kits again. Now I want it to be a birthday to justify it, anyone's will do.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2020 at 23:03, Newbie(kinda) said:

The instructions tell you to paint them Violet, just as @Michael51said, i even looked for that paint colour before i found the photo which shows they are actually blue !

Cant think where else i will get a chance to use my violet paint now !

Any suggestions  ?

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

On 03/08/2020 at 22:46, IanC said:

Superb. And I had that poster of the real B-17 on my wall at university - next to the Smith's 'Meat is Murder' and Joy Division. It confused a few people. But perhaps a bit more original than the tennis girl scratching her bum...

Joy Division.. "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer" Landmark albums...  

Wasn't the Tennis ' girl' actually..erm... a 'geezer'? i'm sure i read that somewhere? lol

• Like 2

On 03/08/2020 at 22:46, IanC said:

Superb. And I had that poster of the real B-17 on my wall at university - next to the Smith's 'Meat is Murder' and Joy Division. It confused a few people. But perhaps a bit more original than the tennis girl scratching her bum...

The posters I had that i remember was an Esso Petrol Tiger in your tank one and of course Charlies Angels.

Now to start a discussion, which one was your favourite  ?

• Haha 1

Nostalgia on tap - what a great thread. This kit was first released by Airfix in 1962 and I had one for Christmas that year, which was subsequently built by my Dad, who did an excellent job.  Great to see this built again and the Airfix tooling still holds up well after all these years.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 06/08/2020 at 19:04, RJ-WobblyHands said:

That is cracking , a superb build !!

brings back memories of humbrol cement all over the paws and parents reminding me that scalpels are sharp - i think the interior of mine built in the 70's had dried blood in it !! 

Need to get the work , life, modelling balance back !! - only finished 2 models this year :( , I missed this GB unfortunately 

Hi @RJ-WobblyHands

It's a new year so let's hope you can finish many more builds this year.

Good luck

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

This really is a trip down memory lane...first kit I built, or watched my dad build, in a caravan in Argyll when I was 7. Superglue was his weapon of choice. I learned a lot about swearing that day. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bangseat said:

This really is a trip down memory lane...first kit I built, or watched my dad build, in a caravan in Argyll when I was 7. Superglue was his weapon of choice. I learned a lot about swearing that day. 

Hi @Bangseat

As I'm up in Oban do you mind me asking where you were in Argyll ?

Cheers Pat

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Bangseat

As I'm up in Oban do you mind me asking where you were in Argyll ?

Cheers Pat

Castle Sween caravan park, on Loch Sween 30 mins from Lochgilphead. Oban eh, the metropolis! Seriously, you're in a lovely part of the world. I now live in Bedford!

Harry

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 12:01 AM, JOCKNEY said:

with Germans attacking from one side and Japanese from the other. 

...and historical accuracy be damned! I like your style! 

Lovely build that. I have an itch to do a heavy, and a B-17 is quite appealing. I've been looking at Revell, Airfix and Hasegawa. I believe there's a new tool Airfix that's decent...

• Thanks 1

Like seeing an old friend, i built this kit so many times over the years .You have made a fantastic model looks great, realy enjoyed your building it ,hope you are out of the spare bedroom now 🤣

• Haha 1

Hi Pat,

glad some good soul brought your B-17 back to the forefront, as it is truly a beautiful build.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Thanks 1