Airfix "A Bit of Lace" the boys own B-17

Nice result. Have to agree. That particular original box art by Roy Cross arguably represents the epitome of his work for Airfix. It made me lust so hard for that kit, I saved up and bought it either in 1967 or early 1968 which was no mean feat as even twin engined mediums in 1/72 featured sparsely during my childhood and adolescent modelling due their relative cost, and Series 5 (?) multi-engined heavies were only acquired through either the very rare occasional gift or even rarer, a great deal of desire inspired willpower and saving of pocket money for months without a model on my part. 

Edited by Bigglesof266
  • Like 7

I remember receiving this kit when I was a lad - must've been a Christmas or Birthday gift; I don't remember which.

The box art was definitely a prime attraction and Airfix were hardly surpassed (at the time) for inspiring the dreams of young modellers.

I particularly remember the retractable undercarriage which seemed an important feature to me as a kid. 

Your build turned out a thousand times better than mine did, although I wasn't as fussy (or skilled) then as I am now!

Thanks heaps for this stroll along memory lane. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Nice result. Have to agree. That particular original box art by Roy Cross arguably represents the epitome of his work for Airfix. It made me lust so hard for that kit, I saved up and bought it either in 1967 or early 1968 which was no mean feat as even twin engined mediums in 1/72 featured sparsely during my childhood and adolescent modelling due their relative cost, and Series 5 (?) multi-engined heavies were only acquired through either the very rare occasional gift or even rarer, a great deal of desire inspired willpower and saving of pocket money for months without a model on my part. 

Thanks very much, yes I can still remember racing home on my bike, having bought it, desperate to start on it as soon as possible.  

It must have been a special occasion as it was way outside my normal pocket money range.

Isn't it strange how we can remember things like that so clearly from years ago !

cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks very much, yes I can still remember racing home on my bike, having bought it, desperate to start on it as soon as possible.  

It must have been a special occasion as it was way outside my normal pocket money range.

Isn't it strange how we can remember things like that so clearly from years ago !

cheers Pat 

Quite right Pat. I remember my brother building A Bit O' Lace when I was about 6 years old but I don't remember what I had for dinner last night...

Lovely build Pat.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Pat,

as always, a great build! 

these old Airfix kits are not that straightforward, and I am not sure how we ever managed to build anything half decent when we were wearing short pants (that I still wear every day here...) or a short kilt in your case!

But you have done yourself proud Pat. I especially like the chipped paint on the outer wing.

Congrats mate.

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Superb. And I had that poster of the real B-17 on my wall at university - next to the Smith's 'Meat is Murder' and Joy Division. It confused a few people. But perhaps a bit more original than the tennis girl scratching her bum...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Blimey Pat that brings some old memories back and you`ve done a better job than I ever did mate,...superb modelling mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Nice one Pat, it's turned out really well.

As others have noted, this kit was a big thing as a kid, way too expensive for mere pocket money and something that memories were made of if you were lucky enough to get one. Thanks for letting us relive those memories.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

As others have noted, this kit was a big thing as a kid, way too expensive for mere pocket money and something that memories were made of if you were lucky enough to get one.

So true. I think it bears to remember very different times materially -which I wouldn't swap for quids. For instance although I did finally get that B-17, it wasn't untiI was 12 going on 13 years old.  However it was always either or all or even both. I'd lusted after Airfix's B-24 since spotting it at the age of 8 playing with a friend who built one he'd received as a gift. I never managed it. By the time I could finally start to afford the occasional Series 4 or 5 occasionally, control-line flying had usurped plastic modelling and became the recipient of any available funds. 

• Like 1

Loved and lusted after this kit as a child like many of you! I did get to do it later in life. Found it broken and missing parts in the loft! Done a few repairs to mine .. yours looks pretty fabulous though I must say! Thanks for sharing! Andy

• Thanks 1

Add me to the list of those who lusted after this kit that remained out of pocket money range! I did eventually get one though, must have been one Christmas.

It certainly didn't turn out as good as yours!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Beautiful job, well done! I never got to own or build this one but definitely, like so many others, lusted after it. One of the iconic modelling subjects and you have really done her justice.

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2020 at 03:10, Sky Keg said:

Well Pat..........I think your B-17 is OUTSTANDING!!!!! Great results especially with the old tooling of the kit.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Mike, 

I seemed to have a lot more problems this time than i did aged 11 !

Less gluey fingerprints this time though 😉

cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

That is cracking , a superb build !!

brings back memories of humbrol cement all over the paws and parents reminding me that scalpels are sharp - i think the interior of mine built in the 70's had dried blood in it !! 

Need to get the work , life, modelling balance back !! - only finished 2 models this year :( , I missed this GB unfortunately 

• Like 1