Dr Jekyll as Mr Hyde - he glows in the dark! - Finished

I've been meaning to get into this group build for a while, but coming up with a kit took some doing - a lot of the more memorable kits I built in my youth are quite rare and expensive these days (Airfix Saturn IB and Boy Scout spring to mind, as do a lot of Aurora kits). I knew I had this kit, but it was in my secondary stash in my mum's loft, and I've only been able to retrieve it recently due to the lockdown.

Back in 1973, when I was 9 or 10 years old, I built a lot of the Aurora glow-in-the-dark monster kits, missing just King Kong and Godzilla. For some reason I remember they were 79p each back then, so I don't know how I afforded them. In 2008 I saw the Moebius reissue of Dr Jekyll as Mr Hyde in Modelzone for £20, which seemed a good deal at the time. Some pictures are, I think, called for here.

The box:

Hyde_box.jpg

The main parts:

Hyde_parts_1.jpg

Hyde_parts_2.jpg

The clear parts:

Hyde_parts_3.jpg

The glow parts:

Hyde_parts_4.jpg

The instructions:

Hyde_instructions_1.jpg

Hyde_instructions_2.jpg

Hyde_instructions_3.jpg

Hyde_instuctions_4.jpg

and I even found the receipt, which is how I know when I bought it:

Hyde_receipt.jpg

I've started construction, but it needs some paint on his shirt front and trousers before I can assemble his lab coat.

Hyde_assembly.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Richard,

If you had mentioned it earlier I could have let you have a Saturn IB as my wife bought one on a trip to Abergavenny about 8 years ago, thinking it was the Saturn V I had mentioned wanting to build - got one a few months later when it was re- issued, so the IB is spare. Neither have been built as I currently have nowhere with enough height to display/store them that is not vulnerable to the attentions of my latest pair of young cats! "One small step for man, one very easy leap for cats".

Cheers

Pete!

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 2

Great choice Richard.

You've set yourself a bit of a time challenge haven't you? I'm sure you'll get it finished though.

Phil

Going to be glued ( :D ) to this one. I got Dracula as a present back in the dim and distant. The base served as a machine gun nest/sniper base for various Airfix soldiers long after Dracula got broken. I  fancied another one but was shocked at how much they go for these days.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a bit more work done on this, so here's a qucik update. The main figure is still in the middle of being painted, but here are a few bits that are about finished.

Hyde-bits.jpg

The floor is painted Tamiya Dark Yellow with a Citadel Devlan Mud wash to bring out the woodgrain effect. The table and stool legs are Citadel Dryad Bark, with the top of the stool Tamiya Semi-Glass Black.The name plate backing is Citadel Abaddon Black with the letterring left in the original glow finish.

• Like 5

And finishing just under the wire...

I got all the stuff for his work table assembled and painted. The rat was given a coat of Citadel Dvlan Mud, as I found after experimenting with the glow in the dark sprue, that washes would still allow for the glow effect.

Hyde-table.jpg

Hyde himself was given a wash of Citadel Reikland Flesh on his face  though it didn't work on his left arm as there was no texture to bring out. His hair, including his very hairy right arm was washed in Devlan Mud. His shoes were Tamiya Gloss Black, wjth Matt Black laces, while his trousers were Citadel Kantor Blue, shirt Tamiya Light Blue, lab coat Citadel Corax White with stains of Tamiya clear colours and Citadel Nihilakh Oxide.

Hyde_full_figure.jpg

Hyde_close_up.jpg

And the finished version - more photos in the gallery. I'll try to get a glowing photo after dark, if I can work out how to switch off the flash on the camera.

Hyde_finished_1.jpg

Edited by Richard Humm
  • Like 2

• Richard Humm changed the title to Dr Jekyll as Mr Hyde - he glows in the dark! - Finished