Here is my latest, and possibly the last of my lockdown builds for a while (?)

Monarch Airlines operated a fleet of 7 Boeing 720B’s through the 70’s and into the early 80‘s, forming the backbone of their fleet. Operating from many U.K. airports on inclusive tour flights mainly to the ‘Med’, Canaries, and on a short and not very successful Caribbean programme.

This particular example started life on lease from Northwest Airlines to TWA in 1961, before going back to its original operator in 1962.
Monarch acquired ‘Kilo Mike’ in January 1972 and operated it for approximately 11 years until replaced by new technology Boeing 757’s! KM ended it’s days at Davis-Monthan AFB, as part of the U.S Airforce’s programme to re-engine it’s KC-135A’s.
The model is the exquisite Authentic Airliners example which comes with a choice of either turbojet P&W JT3-C’s, or turbofan JT3-D’s. As Monarch operated turbofan examples I’ll be able to use the spares on my Roden B720 that is currently a in my stash. The decals are from 26 Decals screen printed range, and although beautifully printed, proved a little problematic in that as soon as they were placed on the model they immediately bedded down onto it and stubbornly refused to move. Sadly this resulted in some of the smaller decals tearing, and the model being a little devoid of detail.

Despite the aforementioned problems I’m pleased with the end result. Once again thanks for taking the time to look, and as always all comments and feedback is gratefully received.

Cheers, Nick.

spacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Really nice job you have done there, always been one of my favourite liveries and brings back lots of memories of luton in the 70,s well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                Cheers Michael.

• Like 2

A beautiful model of one of my all time favourite planes.

I had the pleasure of flying on 'KM from Luton to Catania (Sicily) in May 1977, and back again a week later. 

It was a real rocketship, and you've really done it justice.

Dave

• Like 1

The first time I saw that scheme it was in a photo of one of Monarch's first 757 and I loved it. The scheme looks every bit as good on the 720. Your model does justice to the airplane and the lovely scheme it wore. 

• Like 1

Very nice, Nick. I only few on one of their 720s and it was G-AZKM! I picked up a vacant seat on the return leg from Rimini in September 1979 after a day hanging around the base. It was a flight deck seat trip but because my planned return was a BAC 1-11-500 the seat was occupied by one of the cabin crew. I was therefore stuck in Rimini. Monarch came to my rescue! :)

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Nick. I only few on one of their 720s and it was G-AZKM! I picked up a vacant seat on the return leg from Rimini in September 1979 after a day hanging around the base. It was a flight deck seat trip but because my planned return was a BAC 1-11-500 the seat was occupied by one of the cabin crew. I was therefore stuck in Rimini. Monarch came to my rescue! :)

Martin

Ahhh the joys of staff travel-not for the faint hearted !! 😰

• Haha 1

Hello Chanex,

Impressive color scheme. Nice build.

Thanks for the short history. Often missed by rarely seen models. Appreciated.

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 8:01 AM, Eric Mc said:

That is very nice. The 720 looks awfully small by modern standards.

DeHavilland's beautiful Comet jet airliner is even smaller. The Comet and the early Boeing jet airliners are among the most beautiful airliners built.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 8:46 PM, SAT69 said:

DeHavilland's beautiful Comet jet airliner is even smaller. The Comet and the early Boeing jet airliners are among the most beautiful airliners built.

“Jet” airliners, of course ;). 

• Like 1