Spitfire and Hurricane 1:72 Airfix

I offer these pair of RAF fighters for inspection. I bought them a couple years ago in an Aldi store for about £4 a piece including the acrylic paints and brush.. Starter Kits !  They were fun to make and my partner ,who is a teacher ,uses them for children as part of VE Day celebrations. The kids do drawings of them and use the planes to get their cammo  schemes something like the original!

IMG_0584

IMG_0585

IMG_0586

IMG_0587

the decals are quite thick and I painted then too thick.. but hey they amused me and they get to inspire some lively and creative minds! 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
Additional details
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

If it is a Hurricane, I've got to like it. And the Spitfire too (though not as good of a gun platform😂

Yes it is a Hurricane.. the wings of a spitfire , due to the wide spacing of the guns would flex when firing and not be as accurate as a hurricane.. which had the 8 .303 guns spaced close together and also housed in more rugged wing. the Spit was the Glamourpuss of Fighter command - the propaganda vehicle. However it was the less glamorous Hurricane that achieved the most kills, could sustain extraordinary battle damage and still make it back and was loved by its pilots as a superb gun platform that could out turn both a Spit and a Me109 ...during the Battle of Britain. 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

Your models look fine. They were built with a purpose and they served that purpose. Can't ask for more than that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Your models look fine. They were built with a purpose and they served that purpose. Can't ask for more than that.

Thanks SAT. Not the best finishing ! They gave me something to do and I enjoyed making them. I might go back and set the decals now I understand what can be done with a little knowledge about techniques . I do like them especially the ahurricane. Even at this scale it looks 'right' to my mind . thank you for your appreciation! Cheers! Andy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brigbeale said:

A well built pair of fighters!

Beautifully done!

👏👏👏

Thank you.. Hand painted .. and close attention to the instructions was paid.. if i did them again i'd definitely thin the acrylics down TBH.  Thanks for your appreciation!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I think the decals for the Spit are a bit 'overscale'  in this kit at 1:72 ? The fuselage roundel and squadron letters look a bit too big? Any one think the same?

They do look oversized, but they are not. A lot of people here can tell you very much about the different roundel sizes and types, squadron codes, fonts, XX-X or X-XX... They seemed to come in all variations -of course they didn't, but there were a lot of different orders in rather short time how to mark the planes. Underwing roundel yes or no? is just one of the examples.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I think the decals for the Spit are a bit 'overscale'  in this kit at 1:72 ? The fuselage roundel and squadron letters look a bit too big? Any one think the same?

Nope

MPRV8Dy.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks Johnny. Wartime conditions probably made for some confusion no doubt. I guess unless i was going to portray a particular plane at a set time it's ok to use the OOB decals. Thanks for your reply. I don't think the underwing roundels were applied - which was another point i thought about  and you've cleared this point up in advance. Thanks .Cheers, Andy

• 3 years later...
On 03/08/2020 at 09:46, Brigbeale said:

Nope

MPRV8Dy.png

Thanks so much ,somewhat belatedly, Brian for this confirming picture.. I just went back to this post after a couple or more years! after someone kindly liked it. Regards, Andy

• Like 1