1:48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb TROP

50180979061_277e2e0306.jpg

While I’m waiting for Hannants to get a resupply of the parts I’ve ordered for my Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire I’ve been wondering “what to do in the meantime”?

Last week we were lucky enough to have my 6 year old grandson to stay for a couple of days and managed to take him to the Newark Air Museum aircraft museum, which I can highly recommend, it’ll be even better when the restrictions are lifted as you’ll be able to then go “into” several of the aircraft on display, due to COVID you can only currently see the outside of them.
Still a splendid time was had by all and I managed to pick-up, at a surprisingly reasonable price £19.99, a Tamiya 1:48 Spitfire Mk.Vb TROP.

50181241592_b5db808b48_z.jpg

I know that this kit isn’t as good as Tamiya’s latest Mk.I or Eduard’s various Spitfires however, many moons ago I saw this scheme…

50180444588_1517b02c10_c.jpg

…this was from an Airfix offering, I’m not too keen on their Spitfires, I built their Mk.I a while ago but since then I’ve built mainly Eduard versions and they are streets ahead of Airfix so, being totally knocked out by Tamiya’s 1:32 Spitfire I thought I’d give this one a go. I know that this won’t be in the same league as the 1:32 kit, lets face it it you could buy 5 of the 1:48 Spitfires for 1 of the 1:32 so you’d expect the quality to be slightly less? Having said that looking at the plastic it doesn’t look half bad, so we’ll see how much putty is required as we go.

I plan to have the pilot sitting in the aircraft, also I’m thinking of having it “wheels up” but I look at that option during the build.

For the aircraft markings I’ve got a Montex mask set…

50180444573_9dec55f2d5.jpg

Not sure which squadron codes I’ll use, this won’t be an accurate aircraft as I’m more interested in the camo’ scheme rather than a “specific” aircraft, I’ll probably try and get something “close” to one of the Spitfires that served in Malta but accuracy won’t be high on my agenda I’m afraid.

While I was looking for “Mediterranean” schemes I came across this photo…

50181241622_e3f449b7dd_c.jpg

…now I’m tempted to give her a red spinner.

Next as usual I’m be starting with the cockpit, let the heresy begin.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Edited by shortCummins
  • Like 9

Nice, this will build up into a nice model, although personally I believe the Airfix Vb is better, but I am no expert and may need to get my coat. I have yet to build an Eduard Spitfire, but have one in the stash

Good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice, this will build up into a nice model, although personally I believe the Airfix Vb is better, but I am no expert and may need to get my coat. I have yet to build an Eduard Spitfire, but have one in the stash

Good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, I had a number of fit issues with the Airfix Mk.I, namely the wing roots (no real surprise there!?) and where the fuel tank assembly fitted, or didn't, to the fuselage, I ended up having to use plasticard shims. The Eduard Spitfires are really nice, the landing gear bays are a little fussy and I'm not a fan of the way they do the exhausts but in my opinion they're far better kits than the Airfix, that might be because I've made more of them? 1 Airfix and 4 and a half, my then puppy decided to eat one part way through a build!, I'm tempted by the latest Mk.I from Tamiya, Eduard's version is around £50 which is a bit rich for me, I know you get 2 kits and lots of marking options but its more than I want to pay, at least until I see someones stunning model and then I'll probably want one only to find out they've been discontinued and they're twice as much on eBay!

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

Hi John,

I think I may have been lucky with the Airfix Vb as I didn't have any issues with the part D33 but, I left the cockpit interior loose until that was fitted.  I do have an Eduard Mk IX in the stash and will do it one day.  You can never have too many Spitfires.  Now the dog ate your Spitfire is not a decent excuse you know !!!

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

The Airfix Vs are sufficiently different kits from the Is in this regard and they build up fine with minimal tomfoolery required.

resized_0a5a4aed-2ab3-43f5-8e07-6d5facc5

On my opinion they are the better Mk.V overall, shape-wise I mean although they do need the builder to be switched on. Everything does fit just fine but attention is required to make sure it does. The Tamiya is certainly a painless build, but its accuracy niggles are harder to sort than the Airfix is to do a reasonable job of so I went that way when I built the same Malta scheme. It's both attractive and unusual, so regardless I am sure this will make a nice addition to your collection. Not knowing much about the grey used, I chose a Royal Navy paint I liked from the stash and just used it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the build. I used the Airfix kit for GN•H

blackadder57_190818_5d58d154d04fd.jpg?v=

The upper camo was done with XF-54 Dark Sea Grey, for the Dk. Earth I used a 50/50 mix of XF-64 Red Brown and XF-52 Flat Earth. The lower surface was done with XF-19 Sky Grey

• Like 4

13 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Nice. Look forward to seeing what you do. I did the tamiya 1/32 a few months back. The pictures are in my WIPs somewhere. 

Thanks FDDPenguin, my 1/32 build is at the stage were I "need" the aftermarket stuff or press ahead without so I've decided to wait, I've wanted to build the 1/32 Tamiya for years, a few extra weeks aren't going to hurt and I'm hoping this should be a reasonably quick build?

13 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The Airfix Vs are sufficiently different kits from the Is in this regard and they build up fine with minimal tomfoolery required.

resized_0a5a4aed-2ab3-43f5-8e07-6d5facc5

On my opinion they are the better Mk.V overall, shape-wise I mean although they do need the builder to be switched on. Everything does fit just fine but attention is required to make sure it does. The Tamiya is certainly a painless build, but its accuracy niggles are harder to sort than the Airfix is to do a reasonable job of so I went that way when I built the same Malta scheme. It's both attractive and unusual, so regardless I am sure this will make a nice addition to your collection. Not knowing much about the grey used, I chose a Royal Navy paint I liked from the stash and just used it.

Thanks Jamie, to be fair its the camo' scheme that drew me to the "tropical" Spitfire and because of my experience with Airfix's Mk.I I decided to have a go at Tamiya's version, I'm sure Tamiya makes a bad kit, I've not come across it yet (fingers crossed)

12 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Looking forward to the build. I used the Airfix kit for GN•H

blackadder57_190818_5d58d154d04fd.jpg?v=

The upper camo was done with XF-54 Dark Sea Grey, for the Dk. Earth I used a 50/50 mix of XF-64 Red Brown and XF-52 Flat Earth. The lower surface was done with XF-19 Sky Grey

thanks fubar57, your's looks very nice, I'll be stealing borrowing your colour mix for the camo', much appreciated 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, shortCummins said:

Eduard's version is around £50 which is a bit rich for me, I know you get 2 kits and lots of marking options but its more than I want to pay

Then get the Overtrees :) Check the Eduard site. Pay attention, because there are two versions, early and late (with 'armoured' fuel tank cowling).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Then get the Overtrees :) Check the Eduard site. Pay attention, because there are two versions, early and late (with 'armoured' fuel tank cowling).

that's a good tip, I'll need to check for the decals but I'm sure that Montex will be doing some masks so that sounds like a "plan" 👍

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2020 at 11:33, alt-92 said:

I've just seen the Eduard downloadable magazine and the model built by Robert Szwarc has convinced to to get one, how long until payday?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mr McNairs spitfire, just been reading about his exploits in a book about the siege of Malta, he’s having quite the time of it!

always wanted to do this one (part of a long list of Malta spits to be honest) so looking forward to yours. I did build a 1/48 version of Squadron leader Johnny Lynch’s TNT for the kids bedroom, but that was the old airfix kit.... maybe I should build them another.

Rob 

50181241542_6eff4fc843.jpg

Now where was I?…

I can’t believe that my last post for this build was way back on August 4th, where did all that time go?

This build was meant to be a ‘filler’ while I was waiting for some aftermarket for my Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire but now I’m going to use it to ease me back into the hobby and to get my fingers and brain into modelling mode, so I’m not expecting very much!

My original plan was to give her the dark earth, sea grey scheme however in the meantime I’ve seen this scheme…

T50783612122_3385fc553a_z.jpg

… that I also like, so now I’ve got a decision to make as I like the red spinner and azure undersides and the two greys look really good together.

The Montex mask set has aircraft codes of WX, ZF or RF, D,H or T so whatever I choose the squadron/unit markings won’t match. I’ll have a rootal around in my spares box to see if I can find anything closer. I’m of a mind to make the scheme as a ‘what-if’ or ‘along the lines of…’ type of scheme, but that’s a way down the line I’ll make decisions later.

Back to the build, I used my favourite UMP/Stynylrez black primer and then gave the cockpit a coat of vallejo 71.305 grey green..

50783604317_5f78946cf8_c.jpg

50782737823_1c6d20a3ec_c.jpg

The seat was given a coat of XF-64 red brown

50783604292_3abd8a2d79_c.jpg

Next the I’ll be painting the pilot and other detail in the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Edited by shortCummins
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Jeff G said:

You can't go wrong with either scheme. Both are underrepresented so you'll have a gem either way!

thanks Jeff

both are different aren't they

I'll have to make my mind or sooner or later 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

50783499936_33efd199aa.jpg

The Tamiya supplied pilot was given an initial coat of UMP/Stynylrez black primer.

50783612852_082f231f95_c.jpg

Blocks of colour were applied (hairy stick) to the figure.

His skin was painted with XF-15 flesh

50786939452_2be9c357a8_c.jpg

His shirt and socks were coloured with XF-55 deck tan

50783987882_51cf357862_c.jpg

Shorts XF-52 flat earth

50783883586_a75a4bb270_c.jpg

The jerkin/life vest/parachute harness, whatever its meant to be? XF-49 khaki

50783121328_e411cfe6a9_c.jpg

Flying helmet was painted XF-10 red brown

50783121303_7024d51a2c_c.jpg

50783121288_fbdf2a925d_c.jpg

Then various straps were picked out...

50785976288_45b3ed5d2c_c.jpg

...and everything was given a wash of Tamiya dark brown panel liner to create some shadows.

50785976263_e2c004ca6d_c.jpg

Highlights were added to the shirt Tamiya XF-2 white, as the rest of the figure won’t be visible once he’s sat in the cockpit? I left it at that.

50786920312_15ac3c9962_c.jpg

Next he’ll be flat coated and when the flat coat has dried his goggles will be picked out with aquagloss to simulate the shine of glass.

Next painting the cockpit details.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

50786920297_182bda9a4f.jpg

I’m not going to spend too much time on the cockpit as I think that the pilot figure will hide most of it however, I’ve picked out a few boxes/instruments attached to the fuselage walls.

50786197168_9a9710b44c_c.jpg

The head rest was painted black and the armour plate dry-brushed (silver) to give a worn/used appearance.

50787060862_048c8f02cf_c.jpg

Other controls were also dry-brushed.

50786197153_50f8205381_c.jpg

As was the instrument panel*.

50786197133_52349000b6_c.jpg

*just a note that Tamiya doesn't supply any decals for the IP

The seat cushion was painted black.

50786197138_23924ea501_c.jpg

I then added the pilot, I’ve decided to name him Albert, to the seat assembly.

50787276272_1bb5d10e0b_c.jpg

50787172801_f4ba0761e3_c.jpg

50787276202_dfdac15b86_c.jpg

Finally the instrument panel was attached.

50787172781_95c9841c53_c.jpg

50787172766_4b7016a8f3_c.jpg

Then various controls and boxes were added.

50786413643_ef204d768f_c.jpg

Tamiya would have you paint the oxygen tanks green, I decided to paint them black so that they show a wee bit more.

Next the I’ll be joining the fuselage halves and most of this will never be seen again.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

I've got this kit in my stash, and I've also just recently finished the Airfix Vb. 

Despite its age, I think this is the easier kit to build. You can't go wrong with a trop filtered Spit anyway! 

Matt 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matto21 said:

I've got this kit in my stash, and I've also just recently finished the Airfix Vb. 

Despite its age, I think this is the easier kit to build. You can't go wrong with a trop filtered Spit anyway! 

Matt 

thanks Matt

there's something about the Jimmy Hill 'chin' on a Volkes filter isn't there?

I don't know how old this Tamiya kit is, but the way it goes together is wonderful, its not as detailed as an Eduard Spit' but nearly all of the cockpit detail(or lack of) has been hidden by the pilot so its turns out any extra detail would be wasted? 

I'm enjoying this build

best rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

Hi John,

Good to see you back on the net - I wondered where your lovely 1:32 MkIX was up to. Will follow with interest,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hi John,

Good to see you back on the net - I wondered where your lovely 1:32 MkIX was up to. Will follow with interest,

Cheers,

Roger

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

He is back  great start and pilot looks great and cockpit coming on well. 

Great work. 

Chris 

thanks chaps

not sure where the time went, 'life' gets in the way sometimes doesn't it

hopefully back on track now

best rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shortCummins said:

I don't know how old this Tamiya kit is, but the way it goes together is wonderful, its not as detailed as an Eduard Spit' but nearly all of the cockpit detail(or lack of) has been hidden by the pilot so its turns out any extra detail would be wasted? 

I think this kit was released in 1994. Thing with highly detailed cockpits in 1/48 scale is little can be seen anyway, especially in a Spitfire so I don't think the simpler cockpit is a big deal. 

And your right, the Trop filter is a bit special! 

front

Matt 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matto21 said:

I think this kit was released in 1994. Thing with highly detailed cockpits in 1/48 scale is little can be seen anyway, especially in a Spitfire so I don't think the simpler cockpit is a big deal. 

And your right, the Trop filter is a bit special! 

front

Matt 

that's very nice Matt, I think I'll add the slipper tank as well

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

50787172751_443c8238ba.jpg

When joining the fuselage halves together Tamiya would have you fix the rear bulkhead, then glue the two halves together and once you’ve done that, then slide the pilot/cockpit subassembly into the fuselage.

50787657896_3206faefd0.jpg

Before attempting this I tried a dry-fit, I found that the subassembly wouldn’t go up far enough without separating the two halves.

So this suggested (to me anyway) that it would be better to attach the rear bulkhead to one side and fit the pilot/cockpit assembly, then glue the ‘front’ of the fuselage together making sure that the subassembly was as high as it could go. Once secured in place I then glued the ‘back’ of the aircraft together.

50787007868_dac706412b_c.jpg

50787007848_44e545b4fd_c.jpg

50787868977_d29bc37019_c.jpg

Tamiya also suggest fitting the rear wheel but I’ll leave that until much later in the build as I know I’ll break it off otherwise!

The rear stabilisers fitting were a bit sloppy but nothing too much and holing each in place for a few seconds while the Tamiya Extra Thin dried was all that was needed.

50791171641_c2aabe283d_c.jpg

Next the gunsight*, windscreen and rear part of the canopy attached with a small dab of extra thin.

50790419148_e60d88a464_c.jpg

*the bottom of the gunsight bumped into Albert’s hand so I shaved a wee bit off to allow it to seat easier.

50791283462_fea8e72db4_c.jpg

50790419138_cd2e261068_c.jpg

I’ve got to say that I’m very happy with how the pilot looks even if he totally obscures any of the cockpit detail.

Next I’ll be fitting the wings.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 5