Airfix 1/72 Phantom (old tool) - Therapy Build!

My take on the Airfix 1/72 McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom (493)

Since contracting Covid-19 earlier this year, I am finding modelling can be bit of a trial sometimes. To help combat this, I decided that my contribution to a current ATF GB was going to be the 1971 boxing of the Airfix Phantom. It was supposed to be completely OOB, with no aftermarket stuff, no weathering, no scribing and a hairy stick finish. However, I had to use aftermarket decals and decided the IAF scheme needed an airbrush. The scheme and armament fit might not be totally accurate but I don't mind as it gave me some enjoyment.

McDonnell_Douglas_F4_Phantom_2020_GB_057

McDonnell_Douglas_F4_Phantom_2020_GB_054

McDonnell_Douglas_F4_Phantom_2020_GB_055

McDonnell_Douglas_F4_Phantom_2020_GB_056

McDonnell_Douglas_F4_Phantom_2020_GB_058

McDonnell_Douglas_F4_Phantom_2020_GB_059

Dave

• Like 59

3 hours ago, davecov said:

The scheme and armament fit might not be totally accurate but I don't mind as it gave me some enjoyment

That is all that matters.

Sorry to hear about the dose of covid-19 hope you're feeling better soon.

Phabulous phantom BTW

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Top banana!

Impressive for a brush finished model.

Tommo.

I didn't go with the brush-finish in the end, Tommo. As I said in my intro, I thought the IAF scheme needed an airbrush so I went with that.

Thanks everybody for your nice comments.

Dave

Funny that Steve but the artwork for this 1971 boxing is the only Airfix Phantom artwork I can always recall. I couldn't use the kit decals though as they weren't fit for purpose:

spacer.png

Dave

• 1 year later...

Modelling is great for a bit o' therapy, I have found modelling to be engrossing, but very therapeutic, excellent for patience building! This is looking Great! I believe the cannons were known as the Vulcan cannon! Looks great and a few people have been making the old F4's of late, I have one myself although its a much more recent kit! Great job!:goodjob:

I hope you're feeling much better; both my wife and later, my daughter had it, it takes some time to recover from!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I usually do not find IAF paint schemes to my liking, but I must admit that on a Phantom it becomes really appealing.

You have done a great job considering the age of the kit.

Congrats.

JR

• Thanks 1