Sikorsky S-61N - Whirlybird resin 1/72

Time to start a second build. This is one I've had my eye on for a while - my only ever helicopter flight was in an S-61N - and I decided to buy myself the kit for my birthday last month. So here we go.

First up, here's everything you get in the box:

S-61N WIP

Quite a lot of nicely cast resin, a nice looking PE fret, plastic card for the floor, and decals. This is the KLM boxing, but I've also bought Lima November decals for Air Greenland in a rather striking red and yellow scheme. 

I've made a start - cleaning up the fuselage parts and opening up the windows and doors. Not quite finished cleaning up the window apertures yet.

S-61N WIP

I have to say I'm finding this a little daunting - by far the most complex resin kit I've built - but I think I'll be fine.

cheers

Julian

• Like 12

Hi Julian,

I'm glad that you are going to do a WiP of that kit and I shall look forward to following along with your build.  I do have an ulterior motive, in that I have a 1:144 scale resin kit of the same and I am hoping to learn something from your progress.  I'm not ready to start mine yet so, hopefully, I will have picked up some good points from yours by the time I am ready.

I hope you don't mind me posting this image of the kit I've obtained, as you say, it could be a little daunting.

spacer.png

All the best,

Mike

• Like 3

If Julian doesn't mind me responding here,  the kit is from Russell Dutnell (aka. Riverman).  He used to sell his models via Shapeways but has now bought himself an Anycubic Photon resin printer and is designing, printing and selling from home in the U.S.   This civilian Sikorsky S-61N is the first, of two, the second is a Coast Guard/Coastguard version and comes with winch, spotlight, FLIR and, internally, a FLIR console. 

To avoid anyone else diverting this thread, please send me a pm requesting details and I shall provide Russ' contact details and a colour parts diagram.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

I’m all for a bit of thread drift Mike, keeps things interesting. Looking at how my week is shaping up, it’s not likely that I’ll be adding much modelling to it until next weekend!

• Thanks 1

Slow and steady wins the race is going to be the approach to this one. So far I've added two of the doors (a bit of filling needed here as the openings were a bit big - possibly due to my clean-up work), added the floor and cockpit bulkhead and primed the interior.

S-61N WIP

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say this one's going back in the box. It'll be back on the bench again at the first opportunity - I'll be voting for any GB in November that it fits into - but the simple fact is this isn't the kind of modelling I need to be doing right now. I'm knackered! Just come to the end of the busiest, most challenging few months at work in 20 years (thanks, coronavirus!) and I need my modelling to be a bit more straightforward for the time being. So time to get the decals on the HKP-4, press on with the AW101, and start something simple in the Vietnam GB. This one will be back when I'm ready for it.

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/29/2020 at 9:11 AM, zebra said:

Sorry to say this one's going back in the box. It'll be back on the bench again at the first opportunity - I'll be voting for any GB in November that it fits into - but the simple fact is this isn't the kind of modelling I need to be doing right now. I'm knackered! Just come to the end of the busiest, most challenging few months at work in 20 years (thanks, coronavirus!) and I need my modelling to be a bit more straightforward for the time being. So time to get the decals on the HKP-4, press on with the AW101, and start something simple in the Vietnam GB. This one will be back when I'm ready for it.

cheers

Julian

If and when you pick this project back up I will be here watching.

I don't mean that to sound like a scary stalker !....just starting a similar project in 1/48 and happy to share references/frustrations/pain and lessons learnt along the way.