Vickers Flying Wing - Raiders of the Lost Ark - Stefano Di Rensis (1/48)

WV908

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Surely it's based on a fictional Arado or Blohm & Voss type thing?

Seems to have been based on designs produced by the Horten and Lippisch aircraft companies, but the film prop was built by Vickers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a nice project but I have my concerns about the shape of the fuselage and turret as it looks to bulky to me..

Still interesting that someone took up the idea, but plastic and in 1/72 would be a nice kit I think 😏

cheers, Jan

5 hours ago, john224 said:

Seems to have been based on designs produced by the Horten and Lippisch aircraft companies, but the film prop was built by Vickers.

Genuinely never heard that before now, certainly worthy of more information as the well known Vickers aircraft company had long gone by then.

Referenced here,

https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Flying_Wing

I was looking for details this afternoon, hadn't realised that there was a 72nd resin kit released some time ago aswel, that looks quite nice.

I have to agree with Jan above, something does look a bit 'clunky' with this one.

• Like 1

I always thought the landing gear seemed clunky, heavy and not very 30s aircraft like.  But thinking about it, that is probably the main drive for the aircraft to be able circle on the pan, causing mayhem with Marion trapped inside!

Loved the film since I saw it at Leicester Square the first week it was released...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madoc said:

Well, there was one done in 1/72nd.  Resin, not plastic though...

https://fantastic-plastic.com/BV-32FlyingWing.htm

That one does look really good, apparently though when it is available it is well over a £100!

Whenever I see the one in the film I imagine it to be a prototype that had to be pressed into service in a hurry to carry out the vital task, the drawing above really does look like a great production version, though I think I would have stopped with four engines!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 2:48 AM, Work In Progress said:

As originally conceived it would have had a lot more engines 

b2d8c98275f23472ca8d0f07f92c07f3.jpg

Wow, love all the extra engines! Looks like a beast that way. It was a great sequence in the movie, though being older now I always wonder where the crate was going to go..?

• Like 1

Oh, it;s a totally hopeless concept for actual aviation. Apart from anything else the CG would be entirely in the wrong place and you'd be totallt dependent on variable loads like fuel, crew, ammo and any bombs or freight to make it controllable. Which is all good fun until you actually try to expend or offload any of those assets.

Also of course it's basically Luft '46 design ethic which makes no sense whatsoever in a film set in 1933. Should be more of frilly Dornier and paper-baggy. design

On 8/2/2020 at 6:50 PM, 71chally said:

Genuinely never heard that before now, certainly worthy of more information as the well known Vickers aircraft company had long gone by then.

That was news to me too, and I treat the claim with a degree of suspicion, though it seems to be generally accepted in movie-land.

However, unless it's blatantly wrong, and consistently so across all Raiders lore, there are two possibilities.

While the aviation businesses  formerly owned by Vickers had been folded into BAC by then,  and BAC into BAe, Vickers as an engineering conglomerate was itself very much still a thing with multiple engineering operations.  So there's no real reason why one of the many Vickers businesses could not have done it.  It was not, after all, an aeroplane, or even a replica aeroplane. Just a steel-framed bolt-together knock-down shippable structure of a certain external shape which was required to stand up to a high degree of abuse from cast and crew, and pivot slowly around one of its undercarriage legs while doing spinny prop stuff. 

Alternatively it might have been made at Brooklands by the former Vickers folk who at that stage were still active making various components for other BAe types. 

These days I'd just get Colin Furze to knock me one up.

Bonus movie trivia content: The Waco floatplane used in the opening sequence was given a fake registration as a nod to Star Wars

069.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1