Generic insignia masks?

dromia

Any suppliers of these that anyone knows about?

I have seen that Montex do generic RAF roundel sets but after trying one of their canopy mask sets I vowed I would never use then again (didn't fit- yes it was on the recommended model- curled up at the corners, wouldn't stick evenly and where it did it left the adhesive behind on removal).

Anyway Montex is all I could find.

Considering the increasing prevalence of the use of airbrushes in the pastime and the hit and miss alchemy of water slide transfers there would be an opening and demand for such things.

A painted finish is always infinitely superior to water slide transfers in my view.

I'm OK at doing some of my own such as roundels and simple shapes like fin flashes and Luftwaffe crosses but lettering and more complex shapes like 3 colour stars and bars are beyond my ability and patience as are most in 1/72nd scale unfortunately.

Computer generation is also not an option for me as the frustration due to a high ignorance and low interest level in all things digital is not worth the effort, to me desktop publishing is a pencil, a ruler, a rubber and perhaps some letraset. In the past I have spent inordinate amounts of time trying to master drawing software and failed miserably also if it is something that you don't do regularly then that little which was learned is soon forgotten, why are all things digital so counter intuitive and why does the names of things never obviously reflect which they do?

However there are people who have mastered such tools so surely 'twould be an opportunity for them to apply them for the benefit of us less interested model makers.

I tried some Maketar circle mask sets once and found them worthless as the masking medium used was so thin and fragile that they collapsed as you were removing them from the backing sheet. A fiddle to far for these insensitive fingers.

I've placed an order for some Top Notch masks, we will see how they do.

They also do bespoke, which would answer the need for lettering but the cost for me would not be worth it in relation to the model.

• 4 months later...

Just an update after using a few of this companies insignia and camouflage masks.

I find the masks themselves to be excellent, the Oramask film is good with the right tackiness for me, the register seems to be good to the eye although I have not measured any to certify that. They stick well with no bleed on a flat surface and come off easily enough.

What I would say if you are going to order some is get it from Hannants or some other stockists as Top Notch them selves seem to have some serious posting issues, the dispatch is slow but considering the covid situation and a small business I have sympathy with that however with my last order they sent a wrong mask set, it took me a while to get a response but when they did they were most apologetic and said that the correct mask would be sent out. After a few weeks there was no sign of the replacement mask so again I contacted them and again they were very apologetic and offered me the choice of an extra mask set as way of compensation along with the replacement for the original mis-order. All good I thought and sat down to wait, after  a few weeks one of the two single replacement masks arrived but there has been no sign of the other replacement mask and the replacement mask and the compensation mask.

As my order had eventually been fulfilled I only emailed them to say that they were obviously having postal problems most likely at their end as I was geting all my other stuff delivered fine to which there was no reply.

So I can heartily recommend the mask but be wary from whence you order, if you want bespoke masks then you would need to go direct so in that case I would recommend looking for alternatives first.

• Like 1