Packaging and shipping built models

Hey,

I'll need to make some place for new models on my shelves and I was thinking about selling a few of my older builds. However, what stopped me from doing this so far was the packaging and shipping aspect.

Since these are not million dollar models, making a custom shipping rig and spending more on packaging material than the model itself is not a viable option.

How are you ladies and gentlemen pack your models if these are to be shipped over a longer distance?

Many thanks in advance!

Cristian

This is one of the more complex models that might need shipping:

50179955153_7c77c1fa0f_o.jpg

I'll probably need to pack the lower tub, superstructure and missiles separately.

Place your model into one of those extremely fine plastic bags first, the sort you might find at the fruit/vege shops.

IF anything breaks off, it will be contained in the bag (saves a lot of heartache trying to find said part among the poly balls...) then put it into the poly balls / box.

• Like 3

Yes as above but don’t use polystyrene chips as too hard and ability for things to snap off still. 
Teddy bear stuffing (artificial cotton wool) is the way to go. 
Evenly supported all around that way. 

My method - 

Built model in a tupperware type box (pound stretcher / b&m do all sizes and alot cheaper than tescos etc)

Fill box with fluff halfway. Place kit in. Fill out with fluff. Lid on and secured with tape. 
(can shake this and kit doesn’t move inside)

Tupperware box inside a cardboard box, packaged loosely with news paper or bubble wrap. Not mega tight, tupperware needs to be allowed a little movement, stops shocks and knocks from being transmitted to model. 
Sent all over the world like this with no damage. 

• Like 6
Posted (edited)

That's a FANTASTIC idea, Tony!!! Thank you! * Off to search the interwebs for bear stuffing sources *

Do you happen to have an image of how the packaged model looks like?

Edited by armored76
18 hours ago, armored76 said:

That's a FANTASTIC idea, Tony!!! Thank you! * Off to search the interwebs for bear stuffing sources *

Do you happen to have an image of how the packaged model looks like?

It’s fairly cheap mate. And comes in large volumes because it’s so light. 

Don't have any pics of a packaged model, sorry. 

• Like 1

I see 50g packages being sold but I think I will need more than that, right? Going for 1kg seems the safe way here.

No worries about the pictures :) Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 04/08/2020 at 13:49, armored76 said:

I see 50g packages being sold but I think I will need more than that, right? Going for 1kg seems the safe way here.

No worries about the pictures :) Thanks!

50g will be a decent amount as it weighs almost nothing. 1kg will be a box of it the size of a washing machine 😂

• Thanks 1

I pretty much used Tony Oliver's method for my interstate move.Worked well for armor,used those plastic shoe boxes,put on some stuffing,then the tank,surrounded it with stuffing,then I put six of them in a bigger box filled with more stuffing.No damage,granted my moving company was more careful then the post office will be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

No damage,granted my moving company was more careful then the post office will be.

Post office handling is exactly what worries me the most :(

• Sad 1

I use the plastic bag trick but I will usually build a foam or even a cardboard cradle as well to hold the model in place inside the shipping box.

• Thanks 1

The cardboard cradle was also my initial thought but it is rather time intensive to build one for each model. I think the teddy bear filling as suggested above can lead to similar if not even better results in combination with the plastic bag trick to contain possible detached parts.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, armored76 said:

The cardboard cradle was also my initial thought but it is rather time intensive to build one for each model. I think the teddy bear filling as suggested above can lead to similar if not even better results in combination with the plastic bag trick to contain possible detached parts.

Please let us know how you get on (photos of the packing i progress would be good). I am considering selling some of my builds to make space for others/clear out but the packaging is putting me off (I don't want them destroyed by the Postal Service).

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...

@armored76

A picture paints a thousand words they say. 
Sold one recently so took some pics. 
I don’t use a bag as that could put unnecessary pressure on delicate parts, or leave unsupported voids as bags aren’t plane shaped. 
May be different for box shaped afv’?

Anyways - here they are in a self explanatory sequence of packing. 

A29-FEE12-C24-D-4-FB9-BBCF-2598356-F1-B4

68-B8-F452-7-FB6-4-DE0-9-E6-C-1791-AA479

9-CD2-A44-F-3-E93-4-D18-9085-21670-F4631

8-EACF00-B-CBC3-45-D3-A348-D989839-DBB7-

3-EA24532-C19-C-4-CD9-96-BA-169033-BC4-E

08-F87-F59-D917-4514-82-A9-81-E112382-B9

559-D2-FEA-7711-4233-A4-D7-CD2-B2818-D15

Cheers, Tony

Link to sold plane - 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005104-sold-eduard-148-bf109g6-jg300-kurt-gabler-not-very-nmf/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This thread is very timely as I’m getting ready to ship a Dagger to Argentina (to the pilot who flew it during the Falklands / Malvinas conflict no less) and I’m starting to fret about how to get it there with as little damage as possible. Thanks!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, armored76 said:

@goon That sounds like a rewarding project!

It is. I got in touch by accident on Twitter, and offered to build another model of 'C-407' after completing one for my collection a while ago. Almost ready to go now. :) 

• Like 2

Well good news, the 109 made it safe from the UK to Germany via royal mail, ebay sorting hub and then a courier.

positive feedback received 🤗

• Like 1