Finished! - A Thunderbolt after 20 years

mnord

On 15/10/2020 at 23:46, Jackson Duvalier said:

Your completed seat looks quite good with the belts attached.

The important thing about detailing is knowing when to quit.  I struggle with this; deviations from the OOTB path tend to escalate quickly and result in stalled builds.

Yes, I've realized that any "improvement" takes a lot of time and that some focus is needed to resist starting on something new. I enjoy the process, however, and also try to push my limits so so far this haven't been that much of a problem for me.

For that reason I also wanted to improve the wheelbays, even if they are ok in the kit given how much of them will actually be visible in the end. As usual some additional tubes can be added to this area but I saw some other issues as well. The bigger, left part of the bay that accommodates the actual wheel looks good in the kit and will be kept, but the right part with the mechanics suffer from the same problems as the cockpit, being a mere "representation" (although a quite good one) rather than an actual modelling of the original. Especially the moulded on hydraulic cylinder looks a bit too simplified, but also the mounting of the landing gear itself. Since I wanted to try something new I decided to replace also this small area.

50570349978_79639de51f_b.jpg

Creating new hydraulic cylinders iwas considered the crucial part - if I can manage them, I can likely manage the rest. I started with a 3 mm brass rod and milled it to shape. A lathe would of course be more convenient for the task, but since I don't have one I instead use my Proxxon tool together with a stand, a mill bit and a divider head. Poor man's lathe maybe, but it gets the job done.

50571078626_7c8803576b_b.jpg

After some work (= evenings...) I had the shapes, which will be cut to length.

50570349928_ec711a6f12_b.jpg

The same parts after polishing. One looks slightly shorter but I guess it's the angle... :) The red parts are scrapped attempts.

50570349938_9ba325dc0f_b.jpg

And, lastly, one of them compared to the actual moulding it will eventually replace.

50571095711_5b1c09dcfb_b.jpg

Learned a lot on this one. Will do the final steps and hopes everything goes my way. I haven't removed the kit parts yet and there's still a possibility that I skip these parts and go for the kit version anyway if that still looks better. Let's see where it ends!

• 1 month later...

Finally some christmas holiday-ish and some time to spend on this project. Have had some further challenges with the hydraulic cylinders above since one of them was wasted when the length should be set, but now a replacement has been created and I can continue with the rest of it.

I've spent some more time trying to figure out what feels wrong with the kit wheel bay and the reason is that it's too "two dimensional", both missing details on the sides and some frames.  It looks good seen straight from top but the sides have no details whatsoever. Also, the hydraulic cylinders seems to have been turned around and some frames are missing. Compare the image below with that of the kit.

50772873336_992467030c_z.jpg

50772078238_54756f910c_b.jpg

As seen on the picture of the original the wheelbay is also a hollow part of the wing (or at least a box) and the walls do not follow the opening as in the kit. Instead, the wall should follow the blue line below while the wing openings should remain.

50772825306_4b7b3e99ae_b.jpg

...so the kit wheel bays finally had to go.

50772941537_710c201d76_b.jpg

The hydraulic cylinders are shown above so I continue with the fixtures for them. They need some thickness and definition so I went for the mill also here rather than using bent brass. After some milling and filing I ended up with the two tiny parts, which will probably need som additional filing since they seem to be a little too long. At least a step forward!

50772825061_681e426d66_b.jpg

50772941352_07dbda20aa_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The new wheel bays are about to take shape. Walls and parts of the framework built from plasticard. The wells for the wheels themselves was kept from the kit.

50936235387_410451660f_b.jpg

After adding a few more pieces of the walls the brass hydraulic cylinder was added, The fixture for it could have been refined further but I thin it's good enough considering how much of it will be visible. In the below photo I also dry-fitted the "roof" of the wheelbay. Only halfways into the assembly but it already looks a lot more interesting than the original kit solution. More to come!

50936235372_73872dfa87_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Work has continued with more details of the wheelbay. Most prominent is the part marked in the picture below:

51004602772_1ec0bd1809_o.jpg

I started off with milling some aluminium rod to the measurements (the idea was that the metal had better chances to be more distinct in the details than plastic. In the end I didn't manage to fully realize that potential, but anyway...)

51004590567_831bde4b33_b.jpg

The basic shape was then filed to shape. (This is the part where I expected the mill to be more exact, but manual labour won this time :) ) However, the small recess in the middle of the part was done using the mill (actually a cutting disc) and it turned out quite good. In the end I had the two parts ready for mounting. 

51004590637_c6cfab3960_b.jpg

51004590717_34002a1a97_b.jpg

51004479091_832b48ed40_b.jpg

Finally they were glued into place - I have also added some plasticard frames since last time. Like I said I set off for a slightly higher level of detail but this has to do this time :)

51004479161_847b67727d_b.jpg

The last thing I did was to add some hydraulics plumbing. Now it is all set for painting after som wet sanding (It became apparent in the pictures that the edges are still a bit rough) -but- I need to do some fixes to the actual landing gear first. That will be next update.

51004629552_c0cfbbbe3b_b.jpg

Edited by mnord
  • Like 2

Gave the wheel wells a spray and it was nice to see them reveal in their final color rather than in the messy look of different materials. The roof of the narrower section is not glued yet but only laid out for the picture, and all the detail painting is still left to do. By the way I also took out the macro lens today instead of the iPhone, so hopefully a little sharper images.

51016752168_04531f8d12_b.jpg

51017483436_3729404cc3_b.jpg

The problem with removing the kit wheel bays was that the mountings for the landing gear also went the same way... A new solution is needed! The landing gear can always be mounted one way or another but the challenge is of course to get all the angles right. The P-47 is not too complicated since the landing gear is 90 degrees relative to the ground when looking from front, but it's pointing forward about 20 degrees from the wing when seen from the side and the wing tilts upwards with about 6 degrees or so making it a little less easy than just "90 degrees". Mounting the full landing gear at this stage of the build is not an option and mounting the landing gear once the wings are completed and mounted seems to make adjustments really tricky due to the narrow space (it's for this reason I haven't glued the wheel bay "roof" yet). One solution I've seen is to drill a hole straight through the wing and mount the landing gears through that when suitable, but I don't think I have the tools to do that with the accuracy needed. Hence, I decided to split the landing gear in two parts: One "stub" that can be mounted now, getting the angles right, and one part that is the actual landing gear. 

The landing gear actually has a natural "joint" between the uppermost, thicker part and the lower narrower one. The thicker part happened to be 3mm wide which was also the diameter of the brass rod I had available.

51017578712_542396f907_b.jpg

The idea is to mimic the "real" thing which has a small horisontal bar being the actual mount of the landing gear. The brass rod was polished up and cut to length and a hole was drilled at the correct angle to support a 2mm acrylic rod.

51017578682_0604d44c38_b.jpg

51017578787_0fe09f2406_b.jpg

A third part was added from brass rod and will represent the actual connector to the hydraulic cylinder managing the movement of the landing gear.

51017483151_8bc56cbdb4_b.jpg

And finally also this was painted in plain aluminium color (Anyone who knows of a less grainy metallic color than, for example, Tamiya which was used here??). A hole has been drilled from underneath to support some brass rod that in turn will support the plastic part that will be mounted later in the build. Now it's time to prove this idea and see if I can glue them accurate enough in the wheel bays - I will probably need to create a small rig of some kind. Well, the worst thing that can happen is that I need to rethink the plan...

51017578887_9f76e848ea_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The landing gear "stubs" ended up successfully in place and the wheel bays are now complete. The linkage between the hydraulic cylinder and the landing gear strut didn't work out as intended but at least no need to rework the whole thing. 

50996963364_512f1a3ab4_c.jpg

• Like 3

The upper and lower wing halves have been glued together...

51068889358_b0c2c135bd_c.jpg

The outlets for the guns had the joint going straight through them which is not ideal as they will not be perfectly round, and this case was no exception. I decided to redo them in order to avoid problems later on when the guns should be fitted. I filled the holes with cyano, put the whole wing in a vise, aligned everything and simply (well...) drilled four new holes. They may seem offset but on the P-47 the guns were aligned with the horizontal axis, not with the wing itself.

51069589556_fc87aea3c1_c.jpg

The two acrylic cubes are navigation lights in the making. A small hole has been drilled to represent the bulb once they been filled with some transparent color.

51068889323_3297018af7_c.jpg

Glued in place and the filing and sanding can begin, and a lot of sanding and filing there was. I was a little too cautious when leaving margins - I could have cut them more precise from start...

51069685612_9eb1fc7b2c_c.jpg

Eventually, they were faded in. Final polish will be done together with the rest of the wing. All sanding has created a mess so I have some rescribing, sanding and polishing to do before I can merge the wing with the fuselage.

51069589541_9348423f57_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Work has continued with merging the wing with the fuselage. The fitting was not perfect, however - when the upper wing was aligned the lower part was offset, and vice versa. The images below show the fitting at the bottom of the fuselage when the upper part was aligned.

51110003370_3ffe826ab9_c.jpg

51108974354_7405f0e7fd_c.jpg

I decided to align the lower part since it was easier to adjust the wing root than it was to adjust the whole line of the belly. By shimming with some pieces of 0.3 mm plastic sheet between the rear part of the wing and the fuselage I got the belly right. In the picture below you can pretty much see the gap in the upper wing joint (it's also misaligned vertically) and it also turned out that the whole wing was misaligned horizontally - the starboard wing tip was about 2 mm lower than the port side when the fuselage was perfectly 90 degrees. Putting some 0.5 mm plasticard at the port wing root managed that problem.

51109127678_dfa40b65ae_c.jpg

The gaps at the wing roots were filled with a mix of CA and plastic sheet of various thicknesses and then there was some sanding to be done. In fact, so much that I accidentally created a small "rift" at the wing root. It was barely visible but I'm afraid it will be more prominent when it eventually gets the alu finish, so I adjusted the whole shape of the wing by som coarse sandpaper and a sanding block. No big deal but more panel lines to restore...

51109127723_764d869c32_c.jpg

When looking at the overall fuselage shape I also had a look at the engine cowl. It had two heavy sink marks, one at the top and one at the bottom. I simply glued on some 0.3 mm plastic sheet and sanded it all to the correct shape. Will look good after some polishing, but now I have a fair amount of rescribing to do before I can move on to the stabilizer. But it all starts to look like a plane now!

51108710247_e0f97a0825_c.jpg

51110003480_12fe9645f7_c.jpg

51109226286_05167f8f8b_c.jpg

Edited by mnord
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

After the wings it was time for the stabilizer. I started off by replacing two plastic pins with one brass rod which will go through the fin, both to better conform with the original but also to easier align the stabilizer parts. 

51159343077_18ea81dbb2_c.jpg

The fitting was a bit awkward. From top it looks good, but seen from the side the mounts are slightly larger than the stabilizers, leaving an ugly edge.

51160797924_a18c0c19a0_c.jpg

Some sanding took care of it, although the final finish is left to do. The moulds were somewhat imperfect so had to use some mr Surfacer on the upper side of the stabilizer.

51159343127_251f5ea881_c.jpg

Then on to the engine parts! I've had a first look at the engine cowl already, filling some sink marks. The inlet at the bottom of the cowl also had a difficult sink mark at the right side which I filled with CA, and the two stags at the bottom were too short, leaving a gap between them and the engine cowl. I added some pieces of plastic sheet and sanded them into shape.

51160247933_d44bb9bf54_c.jpg

51160247958_e627e14b21_c.jpg

I have tried to figure out at what level I want to detail the engine. First I had plans to carve away the stags on each side of each cylinder and replace them with rod, but I realized it was not worth the effort since the improvement will be barely noticeable when its hidden inside the engine cowl. In the end I decided to limit detailing to just add some wiring since this is non-existent in the kit and quite prominent on the original. That will be next step, but besides that I also decided to add the round frame that surrounds the engine since it's quite visible. The part was turned from a piece of acrylic.

51159343142_022a82ee0b_c.jpg

Edited by mnord
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

The acrylic ring was fitted into the engine cowl, not without effort. Below is a quick dry fit of the parts together.

51222364627_323feba92e_c.jpg

On to the gear casing(?) and the wiring. The "pigs" surrounding the casing are the kit attempt to mimic the wiring, which I considered a little boring. The bottom detaiils, the "ears" that is a separate part, has a gap to the casing where there shouldn't be a gap, so I will try to fix that as well.

51223289823_0a2ba1ed7a_c.jpg

First off with the wiring. On the original it's a ring with the wiring coming out of it, but I have found at least three variations of the arrangement when checking sources. I decided to go for one of them, a ring with the wires sitting together in pairs. The existing detail on the gear box was removed, and the "ring" was machined from brass rod where 0,5 mm holes were drilled for the wires.

51224147635_3a4b0b639a_c.jpg

51224147655_926c5c8b83_c.jpg

0,5 mm wire was glued to the ring...

51224147615_abd64b0a62_c.jpg

And this is how it looks by a sloppy dry-fitting. The wires seem a little overscale from here but 0,3 mm on the other hand seemed underscaled, so I will probably go for this. The wires need of course to be fitted to the engine so that together with some painting will be next step.

51223843029_98cd406f34_c.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Summer is gone and with that the weather which was too good to be spent on any indoor project. The engine has now been completed.

51441359239_21ef59c224_c.jpg

When fitting it into the engine cowl there was a part, marked in red below, that was there for some strange reason. It seems to fill no other purpose than to hit one of the cylinders and prevent the engine from being placed in its correct position. I simply removed the part and everything then worked out well. Worth to mention is that it doesn't seem to be there in the instructions drawing either.

51439863042_0f63eec7b9_c.jpg

The control flaps for the cooling air that are located at the aft of the engine cowl looks a bit stiff (not to say toy-ish) in the kit and I decided at an early stage that they should be replaced with brass. First step was to remove the original ones. Some plasticard have been used to cover areas that were collaterals from the removal.

51440866063_27123dae3c_c.jpg

And the final assembly, with the engine and gear casing placed in the engine cowl:

51440865998_ea5a7cb017_c.jpg

I've also cheated a little with the propeller. The propeller hub was selected as my first ever attempt with Alclad, which yielded some unsatisfactory results as seen below. Applying the base black was no problem but the aluminium layer failed. This calls for some wet sanding, and some investigation... I may simply have sprayed too much. Hopefully solved until next update!

51441359234_72cbd9ee88_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The propeller hub was cleaned up and a new Alclad attempt was made. This time it went better, although I think it's a little too dark and the "metallic" feeling is missing. I will give it a second coat and see if it improves, otherwise it's ok as it is. The reason for the first failed attempt may have been that the base coat hadn't hardened enough - it seems that 48 hours or so are needed before adding the color coat.

51508396411_04998f3220_c.jpg

Current overall progress. Still some work (and time) to go before starting the major paint job. During the last weeks I have polished away most of the traces of sanding.

51508623138_78f3f20512_c.jpg

The windscreen was next - I decided to mount it before the engine flaps were added since there was a bigger risk that the fairing-in of the windscreen would damage the engine flaps than the other way around. I decided to be ambitious and give the clear parts some inside fram painting. The interior color of the hood seems to vary in my sources - it seems any of black, bare metal or chromate green may be correct. The green seems to have been used on aircraft intended for pilot training over the US only and not on aircrafts made for actual combat. I went for black in this case since I think it will scale the best. The inner frames were made using tape, which then served as guides for cutting some bare metal foil.

51507595287_501f96165f_c.jpg

Final result. I was a bit (too) defensive on the edges since I don't want any interior black overlap the outside bare metal color which will be sprayed later, but it will at least give some feeling of an inside framework. I will ground the outside with black color anyway. The bare metal foil of course left some residue, but it was easily removed using some WD40-ish (or the copy I had available...) oil. The parts had some scratches already when I took them out of the box, so they have been cured earlier with wet sanding and plastic polish.

51509326015_5dbe862ae6_c.jpg

Finally a major milestone was reached with the windscreen mounted! Some fairing in still to do. 

51508623118_a9d0534d1f_c.jpg

Work with the propeller goes on in another track. I understood there's some debate on which prop goes on to the "Angie" machine (Hasegawa seems to have mixed them up). I started off with the version below but I am not sure it's the right one - need to check more sources.

51507595142_6541f72698_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Continued with the control flaps on the engine cowl where the aim is to replace the kit part with some brass. This was kind of an experiment, and a rather nervous one. Once the plastic flaps had been cut off there was no return. 

I started off with simply cutting a piece of brass as wide as the flaps should be, and then I cut it once again into pieces that should represent the flaps.

51590393320_607890f314_c.jpg

51590393280_b29475b4c6_c.jpg

The result was perhaps good for a first attempt but not convincing. The result looked very... unorganized and the second row from top was way too narrow.

51590393260_3e6194b4fd_c.jpg

Hence, hit it again. The shape turned out to be more complex than the straight piece of brass that I used in the first attempt. To capture the curvature better I made a template from the kit flaps that had been removed earlier. Only half of the part was still in good enough shape so the template was made from that side.

51588664717_d90a59515e_c.jpg

Two pieces were cut using the template as a guide. Also these were then cut into separate flaps, and mounted.

51589497491_da2eb6cd5b_c.jpg

51589497466_741b3dd8b2_c.jpg

Much better result this time, especially after some minor adjustments. Don't know if it was really worth the effort but it was good exercise :). Will be interesting to see it all with some color later.

51590393000_c93234faae_c.jpg

51590393090_de5e8838a9_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The propeller issue ended with a Curtiss Electric being finalized. The photos I have on "Angie" seems to be have this propeller rather than the Hamilton Standard that it "should" be for a P-47D-27 (don't know why Hasegawa states a -25 on the box - both included options seems to be of -27). Reading a little further it turned out that the original aircraft was for sure delivered with the Hamilton Standard, but somewhere along the way, probably around the time when the aircraft became "Angie", the propeller was replaced by a Curtiss Electric. The result below. Still not satisfied with the propeller hub which in my opinion is too grey and dark for the intended aluminium look, so I will probably fix that later. I have some issues with the decals in this kit that seems to have dried a bit during the years and it's very hard to make them stick. One of the yellow texts ended up a bit offset but may not be that noticeable once everything is mounted on the plane. It's hopefully only this heads-on picture that reveals everything...

51644245372_783be2ce87_c.jpg

Next to go was the guns. I showed earlier how I drilled new holes for them due to the joint between the wing halves going straight through them, so now it was up to proof whether that drilling was accurate enough, or if the guns will point in all directions...

However, starting with the barrels themselves. The parts in the kit are actually just molded rods that makes no one happy.

51645922650_2b03ccd780_c.jpg

The guns on the actual plane are quite thick relative to the caliber, so ideally I should try to find som tube with 1 mm outside and ~0.3mm inside diameter. I didn't (but need at the same time admit that I didn't look that far), so the idea was to use a lathe to drill a 0.3mm hole in a 1 mm brass rod. Also this failed since I don't have that precision with my lathe (yet). Needed to be more creative and recalled that I had some telescopic brass tubes in the stash. Combining 1.0, 0.8 and 0.6 mm tubing would probably yield the desired result. 

51645291063_65a1a52582_c.jpg

The three tubes were put together and cut to length. To keep them from sliding relative to each other once on the kit I used a cutter to squeeze the tubes together in one end.

51645291158_24f2034ccd_c.jpg

The visible end was filed straight and was given a final finish with a 1200-something sandpaper.

51645922725_e274c81243_c.jpg

The final assembly was also a bit challenging since you need som relief to adjust the barrels once they are in place. CA is the natural option for a task like this but since it dries instantly I would have needed to open up the wing somewhere in order to first adjust the barrels, then fixate them with the CA. Opening up the wing at this stage is not very tempting and the space is anyway quite limited (guess this method works better on a 1/32 or bigger). Solution was to simply glue the barrels in the respective holes using epoxi glue, which leaves more room for adjustments. The result was still good but some glue ended up outside the holes and will need to be cleaned up later. Luckily my drilling a couple of months ago seems to have been accurate enough :)

51645291108_e7376a1869_c.jpg

Wing pylons are next. After that I think it's all set for the Big Paint Job!

• Like 3

I will not mount any bombs on this model for no specific reason other than that I view the P-47 more as a fighter escort rather than an attacker, and I rarely see pictures of P-47s with the bombs mounted. The pylons are often there however and they will also be on the model.

The wing pylons in the kit are not a super fit. They work well on the outer side but not on the inner, as can be seen below.

51653628385_d461532d52_c.jpg

51652764886_22fe1da2e6_c.jpg

I wanted to at least mitigate the gap on the inner side so I started with adding some plasticard. After that I sanded them to shape by sticking a sandpaper to the wing, which in itself worked as a template. You still need to keep all the angles so I don't expect precision down to the 1000's but overall I hope it will be better. Of course the locator pins also had to go.

51651945427_d56aa1f879_c.jpg

51653628350_a614f01ffa_c.jpg

The bomb fixtures looks ok but the last rods that will actually hold the bombs are overscaled. The rods can not be moulded to scale and i guess they are also dimensioned to be able to support the bombs in the kit, something that will not be an issue here. Hence I decided to let them go as well and replace them with 0.3 mm brass wire.

51653628395_b421a59ab2_c.jpg

Holes were drilled, which was not super trivial considering the size here. The pylon was mounted into a small vise with some clothing to prevent marks on the pylon. The drilling was then a very manual task, times eight holes...

51652764826_577ae04a3f_c.jpg

The piece ready for the wire. The wire itself was just pulled through and cut to length, and ordinary polycement was used to "melt" the holes around the wire. The CA I have is too thick.

51652990543_1383c30be6_c.jpg

The final result mounted on the wing. One of the rods to the left fell off in the process and was replaced. It still needs to be cut to length.

51653029078_8a796c47cc_c.jpg

The wing with the pylon finally mounted. In the background the mounts for the drop tank can be seen under the belly. I decided to put them on at this stage since it will be hard to do that in a good way once the paint is on. They were simply glued on and the drop tank was dry fitted over them, allowing the fit to be adjusted while the glue was drying. When the glue had set the tank was removed and hopefully it will still fit perfect when I mount it finally later. The model looks like a colorful mess right now, so it will be nice once the base coat has been sprayed. 

51651945492_8410c4aa97_c.jpg

Edited by mnord
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mnord said:

I will not mount any bombs on this model for no specific reason other than that I view the P-47 more as a fighter escort rather than an attacker, and I rarely see pictures of P-47s with the bombs mounted. The pylons are often there however and they will also be on the model.

Your personal preference is fine, and there's certainly more emphasis in books and magazines on this more glamourous aspect of its work.  However it was very widely used as a fighter bomber specifically in the 9th Air Force in the UK and the 15th in Italy, but also in the Pacific and Indian theatres.   The photographs are there.  It was actually designed primarily as a bomber interceptor, so not for either of its more active roles. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have started with the base coat for the Alclad, and first started off with the Alclad black gloss base coat. We didn't become friends, to say the least - the base coat is half transparent in some way and was very difficult to get right. Where it didn't end up too thick (traces can still be clearly seen on the port wing edge) it was put on too dry, leaving a rough surface, and once it had set it wasn't easy to restore. Reading some tips from the web I resorted to "good old" Humbrol enamel which behaved way more predictable and while it haven't really stood the test of time against the more modern acrylic colors it was still a breeze to use compared to the Alclad. When switching to enamel I also took the opportunity to change the color of the base coat to light grey, which is said to result in a more realistic effect together with the polished aluminium versus the black coat which may make the top layer a bit too shiny. Unfortunately the Alclad layer underneath have made it a bit tricky to get a good surface but with another coat I think it will finally be good to go. The red marks are areas that need more fixing.

51683163759_c14206dca4_c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, a couple of weeks later and finally I getting close to recover from the first base coat unpleasantness. At least the upper side looks acceptable now. The underside a bit worse, but still acceptable and will not be that visible anyway. Soon I hopefully have added that metal as well, unless there are more surprises...

51737103880_8c4abea91a_c.jpg

Sanding, adding a new coat and then wet sanding again turned out not to be overly inspiring, so took on two subprojects in parallell. The first one is the landing gear, which I have described earlier in this thread. When scratching the wheel bays the fixture for the landing gear legs were lost, and the kit legs lacked significant details of their upper half anyway. The best way would be to create new legs altogether, but since I had limited possibilities to do so at the time I went for a compromise and constructed the upper part of the leg from a 3 mm brass rod, adding the missing details. The plan was then to add the lower part of the kit leg at a more final stage of the build. Since then I've got a lathe and things have changed. I realized that the two part leg may be to weak and it may also be hard to get a nice joint. Since I wanted to train a little with the lathe I went for two completely new legs. Below is their current state where the major work has been done but detailing and finalizing work, such as cutting them to the right length, of course is left. To the left is the old scratched part which was intended to be joined to the lower part of the kit leg, which is to the right. 

(A lot of brass seem to have gone to waste and that is true. I simply went for the 7 mm square rod I happened to have at home, which was unnecessarily big for the task...)

51735389512_fdbb42770a_c.jpg

The other subproject was the wheels. They should in fact not need to turn into a "subproject" but since the original thread pattern was not satisfactory, they did. First the pattern do not align between the two halves, and half of it will probably disappear anyway before that joint has been sanded down. As a result, I took them to the lathe and removed the pattern completely.

51736447013_f6f81fd4df_c.jpg

51736447003_5ea81f3064_c.jpg

So now I have ended up with smooth wheels. As a last exit I will keep them as this (maybe with som fictionary longitudinal pattern to give them some life) but I will give it a try and see if I can recreate the diagonal pattern. I will get back with the result!

51736856949_81d4ce098a_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks of lesser activity due to christmas and a week of skiing further north.

51825243959_2473c1db63_c.jpg

It has not been completely standstill, however - the work with the Alclad layer has continued. And let's just say one thing - Orange peel. I now know all about it. And the Alclad Gloss Black Base Coat obviously knows even more about it than I do. I wrote above that I had some problems with the Alclad base coat and resorted to a simple grey coat with Humbrol color, which turned out a little better although not with a mirror finish. I did one mistake, however. I took the easy way out and did not remove the alclad layer before applying the Humbrol coat, and this lead to problems further down the line. It became obvious that the Alclad layer had been put on way too thick on some areas, especially on the underside, effectively ruining much of the details there. Also the Humbrol layer went on to thick a little here and there and in some places it had reacted with the underlying Alclad coat. I tried to fix it by sanding off parts and spraying new, but at that point the problems just got worse and I finally decided to remove all paint and start over again.

Hence, a complete mess was created when removing color with some 1200 grit sandpaper (pursits may say this is too course but and finer grit would have taken ages). During this process a lot of the problems became even more apparent. The Alclad layer had not hardened properly (even after weeks) and large chunks could simply be peeled off. This was of course good for the paint removal process but also indicated that something had gone seriously wrong somewhere.

51825624320_fbbc9e7a7d_c.jpg

While the color could be peeled off in some places it sat as a rock in other spots, primarily where some priming / test shots had been done with acrylics a couple of months ago. Main theory then that I hadn't cleaned of the plastic properly before spraying.

When I had decided that I had sanded off enough paint (some difficult-to-reach and/or fix areas were still there) I started to figure out what to do differently next time. I know from when I did this in the 90's that spraying a gloss coat is difficult, at least if you want it gloss. Some research gave at hand that a spray gun, even a simple one, could be superior to an airbrush when spraying gloss coats on larger surfaces. Said and done, I ordered a 20€ spray gun to be tried out in the next round. I tested it on a mule and now everything turned out right. No orange peel, but instead a nice gloss coat. Happy with that I went on with the P-47, and did a stupid mistake - convinced I had solved the problem, I went with the Alclad gloss coat again... And despite it having worked on the test mule I got the orange peel. Again. Don't ask me why I tried the Alclad again, but I decided a little too hard to go by the book and also had half a bottle of it left which I thought shouldn't go to waste.

It was just to hit the sandpaper again. This time I looked for shortcuts and heard the the MrColor thinner 400 could remove enamels and lacquers without damaging the plastic. I had a bottle at home, and it worked! Still a tedious process and the sandpaper is probably still the goto method, but the thinner was extremely helpful on areas where you don't want to risk sanding off details or where the paint was simply set too hard to be removed by sandpaper without ruining the surface finish beyond repair. 

The third time I went straight to the enamel. Still not directly a mirror finish (I need to tweak the spray gun settings a bit more) but finally something that was at least acceptable.

51824904636_8d540d548a_c.jpg

And, finally, eventually, the polished aluminium layer went on. I thought it was a little too shiny so it has also got an additional overspray with airframe aluminium. The only detail that didn't turn out well was the windshield. I never dared to sand it during the paint removal process, so it had all sorts of layers on it and when I removed the masking the color simply peeled off. Not a big issue to fix, but I need of course to redo the masking before proceeding.

51825244729_cc65f19a02_c.jpg

I'm not completely happy since the underside simply lost a lot of detail and finish in all the failed attempts, but on the other hand the top has turned out quite good and I managed to salvage a project that at one point seemed to be doomed. A lot of experience for the future.

It should be mentioned that the Alclad metallic layer went on very well (avoid wet layers, however, since that seems to be a recipe for a reaction with whatever is underneath) and also yielded a good result. From what I understood from different forums I'm not the only one who have had challenges with the Alclad base coat, and those who have been successful with it seems to some extent have been using the spray can, not the airbrush color in a bottle that I was using. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After having sprayed the guns and some outlets with "burnt steel" I'm hopefully done with Alclad for now. Instead the work with the additional colors has begun. Both the invasion stripes and the yellow nose are provided as decals in the kit, but I prefer to paint them and don't understand how you should be able to get the decal jigsaw puzzle together in a nice way anyway. 

Below the masking work has started, and the now painted windscreen can also be seen. Unfortunately some metallic stuff had managed to find its way to the inside of the windscreen when I sprayed the Alclad coat, but I think I will be able to rub it away once the cockpit masking has been removed.

51847900583_817e731757_c.jpg

The underside of the nose where the kit decals were used as a template for cutting the masking tape which then was lifted over to the model. There are some spots in the aluminium but that was me who took the opportunity to remove some dust since the area was to be painted over anyway.

51847900533_a904c98bfc_c.jpg

Nose more or less masked off, including the wings. The masking required some work but turned out to be quite easy, and nowhere near the painstaking task I thought it should be.

51848160154_e6e6b1bac7_c.jpg

Paint work in progress, with the yellow parts and the white parts done. The model is hiding somewhere underneath the masking which is a mix of various masking tapes, newspapers and Parafilm. 

51847900623_f6aa4af011_c.jpg

The white areas which look a bit dark here due to light conditions. They worked out fine, even if some of the damage caused by the earlier failed base coats may be spotted here.

51846865207_174e743391_c.jpg

First masking has been removed to give way for new masking for the black glareshield. Looks fine so far. The yellow should be Tamiya XF-3, but when spraying the second layer I mixed the bottles and instead used Gunze H329. Not much of a difference in color although I think the XF-3 is a tad lighter, and also flat while the Gunze is gloss. Will probably need to go for a layer of varnish anyway when the decals are there and not much of a damage, I was more surprised when I realized the mistake. Stay awake :)

51848489050_a41788099b_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Current state after some more masking, let alone in a photo that was a quickie and with the wings still masked off. The black invasion stripes and the glareshield has been added, along with the colored stripes on the fin and the interior green over the canopy rail behind the cockpit. I had some problems with the red color on the fin (not the tone, but the actual paint - it seems to have rotten a little and was difficult to thin properly without disintegrating) which took a while to fix and it also seems to have bled through the masking tape into the yellow. That'll be an easy sanding fix, though. What is now left before the decals is the olive drab on the fin, stabilizer and the back of the fuselage. The kit instructions says these should be black but this has later been confirmed wrong. (Rumor says that also the starboard wing of the "Angie" was olive green, but after all the work I've had with the Alclad I'll pretend I didn't see that...)

51873113022_313a5519b9_c.jpg

In the meantime I've also done some improvements to the landing gear doors. These have a "lip" around them which on the original is just a thin plate, but too thick on the model. I've tried to illustrate it with a blue marker in the picture below.

51874153048_19e406642a_c.jpg

I went for the solution to replace the outer surface of the doors with brass sheet, which was cut to shape using the kit doors as a template.

51874390699_613a5ed536_c.jpg

I first thought that I should need to sand down the existing lips on the doors, but when comparing them to photos of the real thing I realized that their total thickness was probably correct. That actually made things easier since I just had to cut away the "lips" and simply add the new brass covers. This was repeated on the four main doors, but the smallest one I will leave as-is as they would require a complete scratch build which was not really worth the effort at this point. Let's see if I'll thin them down a little.

51874152963_7c23484032_c.jpg

So back to the airbrush again, together with the remaining parts of the landing gear. Things are starting to wrap up.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I considered that the antenna on the back should better be mounted before the final part of the paint job. It proved to be a small challenge, since the antenna was missing any form of location pin and the area that was to be glued was microscopic. Realizing that the antenna would disappear at the slightest sneeze I went for a more rigid solution. With a steady hand a 0.35 mm hole was drilled in the antenna which in itself was no thicker than 0.7 mm at it's widest point. I drilled as deep as I dared to, which turned out to be around 1,5 mm. At that point I saw that the plastic started to give way on the outside.

51897200252_ed39c4d7a8_c.jpg

A 0.3 mm wire was inserted and could serve as a location pin, while at the same time making the antenna more sturdy.

51898494254_4d19fc6b2b_c.jpg

A corresponding hole was drilled in the fuselage. Of course I managed to locate the first one too much forward, despite efforts, and it had to be filled with CA later.

51898494279_030836f24f_c.jpg

The antenna was added and finally the last painting stage, the olive drab on the fin, stabilizer and fuselage back, could be finalized. Some small cleanups still to do but to my relief the three stripes on the fin turned out really well.

51898813455_ec9243b45c_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In a previous post I removed the pattern from the tyres in order to get rid of the ugly joint in the middle of them. After a few spins in the lathe I ended up with this:

51736856949_81d4ce098a_c.jpg

Left to do was to create some kind of new pattern. The lathe was converted into a mill and the diagonal threads should be made by a thin rotary saw. The only saws I had at hand at the time was 0.8 mm thick. That was definitely too wide but I decided to give it a go anyway, letting the saw approach the wheel with an angle and so to say use the "corner" of the saw to make the pattern a bit thinner. The first result below...

51922457994_8d4416e8cc_c.jpg

Not quite. New blades were ordered, with a more sensible thickness of 0.3 mm. The wheel was covered with polystyrene filler and again run in the lathe.

51922214353_32ef407db7_c.jpg

The rig was set up again, as seen here, and a new attempt was made.

51922119456_d11b0bd34a_c.jpg

Although some patience was required it was not an as time consuming process as I first anticipated. After an hour or so I had made both wheels.

51921149507_d6071d0688_c.jpg

Both wheels were polished in the lathe again and it all ended with an at least OK result.

51922214333_f3d049a1cd_c.jpg

In retrospect the distance between each diagonal cut could have been smaller. But as a proof of concept, to see if I could even do it this way, it was kind of a success. Also better than putting slicks on the plane... Next timeI do this I will try to fine tune the process.

Edited by mnord
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just realized it was a while since I updated here. Things are coming together, finally (this project feels a bit delayed now). 

More details have been added to the landing gear. The work has included some soldering, with varying results but came out ok with a little patience. Some details have been moved from the kit parts to make life easier.

52064825508_57b11c0d25_c.jpg

Only one detail left, then the landing gears will soon be cleaned from any excess material and painted. In the meantime I've also started with the decals. As I have mentioned before the decals are quite hard to handle since they sits real hard on their carrier paper (they could be from the mid-90s something), but once in place they turn out quite fine with some microset and -sol. The decals were by the way thinner than I expected so the invasion stripes shine through a little on the insignia, but I will leave it as that for this time. Painting all the stripes rather than using the decal versions of them payed off, though.

52064811491_afe947f078_c.jpg

• Like 1