Airfix B24-J Liberator USAAF Olive Drab

I offer this for RFI ...Another 'Lockdown' project i completed. This is the old tooled Airfix 'Sharkmouth' which i dedided to do OOB as the 445th BG from Tibbenham in Norfolk..

Hope you like it?

The photos are not the best and probably hide a multitude of 'sins' lol and i took them at my WFH station.( Apologies ) 

Hand painted with Humbrol Enamels . I love the Lib as a plane wish there was a new Airfix 1:48 tooling for this!

I did post these pics on another recent Liberator thread but actually this is where i should have put them.. 

WIN_20200406_09_03_34_Pro

WIN_20200406_09_03_44_Pro

WIN_20200406_09_02_47_Pro

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 33

13 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

The "sins" you mention are nowhere near apparent. It looks good!

Thank you! hehehe but .. i assure you there are sins a plenty!  Thanks for the positive comment ! I'm glad you think it looks good. Cheers.Andy

1 minute ago, junglierating said:

Looks like 1/48....its massive 👍

i wish it was 1:48. It is a big kit in 1:72 in any case i took the pics with a 8 year old iPad and i guess the focal length gives it a bit more depth and size. I've borrowed a 6 month old Samsung tablet from work and that i should use in future for my pics .. I'm happy you like the end result in anycase. Thank you ! Andy

• Like 1

That's very nice!  A lovely tribute to a real workhorse of a plane - somewhat overlooked in favour of the B-17, in terms of historical acknowledgment.

Was the decal scheme also from-the-box or an aftermarket source?

Well done!

:clap2:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kapam said:

That's very nice!  A lovely tribute to a real workhorse of a plane - somewhat overlooked in favour of the B-17, in terms of historical acknowledgment.

Was the decal scheme also from-the-box or an aftermarket source?

Well done!

:clap2:

Thanks Kapam. I concur the Lib is overlooked somewhat. The Decal scheme was OOB indeed. I decided to do this 445th BG ship as it has a local connection. I'm in Suffolk and RAF Tibbenham is not far from me here. I cycle to the airfield where this ship flew from so it is a fitting tribute to those brave young men who flew her.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A right quality job, its only the "realistic movable control surfaces" which give it away.  The rest of it is top drawer stuff. :)

Steve.

Lol. thanks Steve. Glad you like it! yes it does flap about a bit! I did read a post on here about static positioning of the control surfaces for planes ..what their positions should be at rest. I might well glue them in a realistic position. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 01/08/2020 at 21:38, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I love the Lib as a plane wish there was a new Airfix 1:48 tooling for this!

Airfix .. You Beaut! i hear on the plastic 'Grapevine' there is a new tooled Airfix Lib in the pipline! Now i wonder how manyIi can buy without raising any 'suspicion' with SWMBO ?

I like your rebel Liberator with the national insignia turned upside down.   Maybe an anarchist crew?  Otherwise, the finished kit looks great.  I never know what to do about the "working" features on a kit.  Seems like they should be done just to honor the intent of the kit maker, but the results sometimes are not too realistic.  I have heard of a new tool 1/48 B-24 from Hobby Boss but it is about 5 times the price I last paid for the Monogram/Revell kit.  Thanks for sharing your Airfix build.

• Thanks 1

Thanks George. I rather liked making this kit..the old Humbrol OD enamel used is to my eye 'top drawer' as far as correct colour goes... I guess I could have fixed the movable parts in place? i kind of agree wit you though.. it was designed like that as a 'feature' Has under cart you can fix up as well.. now that's a novelty these days! but was a selling point when it first came out i guess?  The Airfix kit is 1:72 i believe and about $50  that's a round of beers in the UK these days! 

Regards, Andy